Trip insurance when you didn't pay for the trip?

We're cruising in a few weeks and figuring out our insurance situation. We did not pay for our cruise, it was gifted to us by a dear friend. If we end up needing to use the insurance for the trip cancellation or trip interruption feature, how would that work? Would our friend get reimbursed for the trip cost? If getting reimbursed for the trip cost isn't a concern of ours can we put a lower trip cost for the insurance to get the other policy benefits?

Edited by snoopy5386

To answer the second part first, yes you can put a lower cost of the trip on the insurance. Do keep in mind that when you don’t insure the full cost of the trip, you don’t get pre-existing conditions covered in most policies and your recovery is limited to your stated costs if you cancel/interrupt your trip.  But the other features such as medical for an accident do apply.

As for the first question, that is where you really ought to have a personal conversation with an insurance broker. Since you did not pay for the trip, you cannot prove via receipts, checks, credit card statements the cost of the trip.  It seems to me since it was a gift, you have no cost to insure. It is, to me, very similar to a situation where you are using cruise credit to pay for a trip. In that latter situation, I know it is not insurable.  But you really need to ask the question of a reliable insurance broker to confirm.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...