Communications on Ship?

SailorMan20

I saw in a Facebook group that some folks brought Walkie Talkies on a Carnival ship. I wonder if I can do the same on the NCL Encore? I know rules vary by Cruise Line but I don't see no harm in bringing them on board. Only good things.

1 hour ago, SailorMan20 said:

I saw in a Facebook group that some folks brought Walkie Talkies on a Carnival ship. I wonder if I can do the same on the NCL Encore? I know rules vary by Cruise Line but I don't see no harm in bringing them on board. Only good things.

Yes, you can bring them, but for the same reasons your Bluetooth headphones likely won't work, the walkie-talkies have very spotty performance.  Too much metal interference.

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, you can bring them, but for the same reasons your Bluetooth headphones likely won't work, the walkie-talkies have very spotty performance.  Too much metal interference.

I guess I can bring My wired headphones.

Bring your bluetooth headphones if you have a pair you like. They will work just fine at a range your wired phones will work. I use bluetooth headphones on the balcony with my phone in the cabin often recharging. I have never had an issue with reception in such circumstances.

If you already own a set of walkie-talkies, well & good; give em' a try.

Otherwise, IMHO, it's a LOT easier to fork over the $9.95/phone & subscribe to NCL's shipboard comms via their smartphone app over the ship's WiFi network.  You can text & talk to anyone in your group who's paid the aforesaid fee.  Download the app to your smartphone (Apple or Android) before you board then sign up once you're onboard by opening up the app.  You can also use the app to make show & dinner reservations.  Also the time you're using the app doesn't count against your WiFi package minutes, if you've purchased one.

Have a great cruise!

We have a decent set of walkie talkies.  We did not have good luck with them on our Carnival ship.  Even when they could connect, we couldn't always hear them due to being in a noisy area.  Where we found them most useful was when we were on separate excursions.  We were able to radio to each other so we could meet up after the excursion.  They work great on land and sea, just not so great on the ship.

Walkie-Talkies are ineffective on a ship due to the amount of thick metal.  The ones that might work are likely a power that’s banned.

NCL does have a messaging app that would work on your cell phone.