items on buffet you avoid every time

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

Aw, shoot.  I like bologna sandwiches.  Mrs Ldubs chides me about the processed food, but what the heck I figure every once in a while is OK.  

PS: Don't like muesli much.  I like oatmeal but hated cream of wheat for some reason.   

I love oatmeal.  Chopped apples make a key addition to apple cinnamon oatmeal. Fresh sliced peaches go well with a peaches and cream style. Chopped mango and kiwi can work well in a tropical themed bowl. Mashed banana adds a nice sweetness that pairs well with peanut butter and chocolate chips (Elvis style oatmeal!)

6 hours ago, slidergirl said:

When some of us from certain sections of Pennsylvania say "bologna", we mean "Lebanon bologna".  It's a totally different meat from regular bologna.  It's a nicely spiced meat.  Dark colored, not like the bland-looking bologna.  Give it a try.  It's sometimes hard to find, but a deli/supermarket that has Boarshead will probably have it.  

I had a feeling you weren't talking about Oscar Meyer.  Haha

I see Boarshead in our local supermarket.  I'll have to try and remember to look for Lebanon Bologna.  Pennsylvania also has some pretty good cheesesteak sandwiches and about 20 years ago I was taken to a place in Philly for some snapping turtle soup.  Put sherry in it as I recall.  

Anyway, everyone hum along: 

"My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R

My bologna has a second name, it's M-A-Y-E-R

I love to eat it every day

That is why I always say

Oscar Mayer makes the best B-O-L-O-G-N-A"

😀😀😀

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I had a feeling you weren't talking about Oscar Meyer.  Haha

I see Boarshead in our local supermarket.  I'll have to try and remember to look for Lebanon Bologna.  Pennsylvania also has some pretty good cheesesteak sandwiches and about 20 years ago I was taken to a place in Philly for some snapping turtle soup.  Put sherry in it as I recall.  

Anyway, everyone hum along: 

"My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R

My bologna has a second name, it's M-A-Y-E-R

I love to eat it every day

That is why I always say

Oscar Mayer makes the best B-O-L-O-G-N-A"

😀😀😀

I've said for many years that if Amazon doesn't have something, I don't really need it 🙂

https://www.amazon.com/Seltzers-Sliced-Lebanon-Bologna-Ounce/dp/B00CHTSMYS

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

By law they need to be frozen for 24 hours minimum before they can be sold for consumption in order to kill parasites.  The fish are cleaned (head removed, fins scratched off) in market stalls when you order them, but they are not killed on the spot. 

They are delicious, though 🙂

I am sorry, I have had them where the fish were swimming in a tub.  In The Hague at the big market.

18 hours ago, ldubs said:

Aw, shoot.  I like bologna sandwiches.  Mrs Ldubs chides me about the processed food, but what the heck I figure every once in a while is OK.  

PS: Don't like muesli much.  I like oatmeal but hated cream of wheat for some reason.   

I prefer salami, but occasionally bologna is good.

Have you tried cream of wheat with butter and salt?

I eat oatmeal as sweet. I eat grits as savory.  I eat cream of wheat both ways.

15 hours ago, slidergirl said:

When some of us from certain sections of Pennsylvania say "bologna", we mean "Lebanon bologna".  It's a totally different meat from regular bologna.  It's a nicely spiced meat.  Dark colored, not like the bland-looking bologna.  Give it a try.  It's sometimes hard to find, but a deli/supermarket that has Boarshead will probably have it.  

Sweet or normal? 😄

19 hours ago, SRF said:

Even better, fresh herring sandwich in Netherlands.

Some places have live herring in a tub with water.  You order, they grab one, fillet it, toss the fillets on a roll with chopped onion, hand it to you.  Maybe 20 - 30 seconds fresh

Nice or having a rollmop is good too.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

I am sorry, I have had them where the fish were swimming in a tub.  In The Hague at the big market.

Maybe that was some time ago? For instance this article (in Dutch) https://www.ad.nl/bizar/iergh-wat-een-engerd-gigantische-paling-zwemt-door-centrum-arnhem~a223ab55/  says "no live fish are sold at markets since at least 10 years". 

8 hours ago, SRF said:

I eat cream of wheat, too, with butter and salt.  Yep.  I love grits, too, both as breakfast with butter and as dinner with cheese, pork belly or shrimp.   I actually brought back 2 boxes of Quaker assorted instant grits from my trip to Florida - took the baggies out of the boxes and just put them in wherever they fit in my bag.  Plain, Butter, Cheese, Bacon...  

Has anyone had grits on a HAL ship?  Breakfast, lunch or dinner???  Take some of that candied bacon that is making it's rounds on the ship and crumble it into the grits - yummy!!!

I have an idea for breakfast at the buffet - an Oatmeal bar.  Put out all those goodies for us to mix in - peanut butter, chocolate chips, banana, bacon crumbles, butter, cream, brown sugar, cranberries, blueberries, peaches, apples, walnuts, almonds, etc.  

My Lebanon bologna?  I'll take it regular or sweet.   I don't discriminate. 

Edited by slidergirl

9 hours ago, SRF said:

I've probably tried cream of wheat with butter but not salt  I  just don't like cream of wheat.  Kind of like egg plant.  It can be the best eggplant dish in the world and I will not like it because I don't like eggplant.  😀

Typical oatmeal for me is brown sugar, raisons, bacon crumpled in, and milk.    

Does anyone remember "I want my Maypo".  Haha

On 7/14/2019 at 5:04 PM, AmazedByCruising said:

Maybe that was some time ago? For instance this article (in Dutch) https://www.ad.nl/bizar/iergh-wat-een-engerd-gigantische-paling-zwemt-door-centrum-arnhem~a223ab55/  says "no live fish are sold at markets since at least 10 years". 

May 27, 2012

I am that exact, as I was coming back from a work trip to Africa and stopped off for a long weekend in Amsterdam.  On Sunday, we went to The Hague for the market, then the Asian festival.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

May 27, 2012

I am that exact, as I was coming back from a work trip to Africa and stopped off for a long weekend in Amsterdam.  On Sunday, we went to The Hague for the market, then the Asian festival.

Maybe it has changed just after. This semi-governmental organisation says obligated freezing of fish for 24 hours at 20 *C at most is EU-wide now, when the fish is supposed to be eaten (almost) raw. https://www.voedingscentrum.nl/encyclopedie/haringworm.aspx But, you survived :classic_biggrin: 

On 7/12/2019 at 12:27 PM, pacruise804 said:

Sounds like you are from PA Dutch country 🙂 Sweet Lebanon or Regular (I prefer regular)?  Does your green jello have anything in it?  My aunt makes a fabulous lime jello salad with marshmallow, cream cheese, and pineapple (and colored mini-marshmallows on top) - I've tried making it and it's close but never quite like hers.

We don't eat green jello salad any more.  DH's grandmother use to make jello with pears in it, and DH loved it.  Then one Easter, she brought it.  DH took a big scoop, and realized that this time she replaced the pears with onions.  He now has serious jello salad trust issues.  🤣🤣

On a cruise buffet, I don't eat scrambled eggs or omelets. the liquid eggs have gluten in them.  I only have real fresh eggs fried or poached.  The other thing I won't eat on the buffet is curried goat.  That is a hard pass.  Tried it once.  That was one time to many.

1 minute ago, screwsmcernst said:

curried goat.  That is a hard pass.  Tried it once. 

But you tried it.  Good for you.  We're very adventuresome eaters and run across so many people who have never tried something but declare it "ugh."

Why do "liquid eggs" have gluten in them?

13 hours ago, clo said:

But you tried it.  Good for you.  We're very adventuresome eaters and run across so many people who have never tried something but declare it "ugh."

Have eaten goat.  And haggis (like it).  And ostrich.  And crocodile (rubbery).  And many various antelopy things in Africa, sable is my favorite, but kudu is also quite good.

I do draw the line at baluts. 😄

On 7/13/2019 at 1:06 PM, slidergirl said:

Well growing up in Madison Wisconsin and the home of Oscar Meyer, I ate a ton of bologna. Most common was a sandwich, but we also fried it up often. If you really wanted to kick it up a notch, you would also fry up some Spam.

17 hours ago, clo said:

Why do "liquid eggs" have gluten in them?

Had goat as the protein one dinner at a safari camp in Kenya,  Not bad.  We also went to some famous "wild game" (not really wild anymore) in Nairobi our last night - kind of like those Brazilian restaurants where the servers walk around with skewers of meat.  Crocodile, ox, camel, ostrich, bull balls...  I was the only one who took the balls - I had Rocky Mountain Oysters before and these tasted the same,.

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

Just now, Mike981 said:

Well growing up in Madison Wisconsin and the home of Oscar Meyer, I ate a ton of bologna. Most common was a sandwich, but we also fried it up often. If you really wanted to kick it up a notch, you would also fry up some Spam.

As a kid, I ate lots of fried "baloney" sandwiches.  "regular" bologna could be eaten plain or fried, Lebanon bologna is only eaten plain (at least I never ever had it fried - it's more like a Genoa salami than regular bologna).  And, we did Spam - fry it up and put some maple syrup on it!   In Hawaii, I always get a couple pieces of Spam musubi!!

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

bull balls

We had a neighbor many years ago who had a very small herd of cattle.  He gave me "Rocky Mountains Oysters" after he he had castrated the boys.  I called another neighbor who also raised some cattle and was a good cook.  Per her instructions I cooked them and they were super.  Also had some rat in Thailand.

Balut - to be avoided at all costs.  Century eggs are not as weird, but I still don't like them.  Then there is dinuguan.  If any of these come up I say you can have mine!   Haha

Spam - SPecial All purpose Meat -- best is Tocino flavor.