Brooklyn cruise terminal arrival

aprilsp88

Hi,

Our cruise will end in Brooklyn cruise terminal. Will we be able to see Manhattan skylight and status of liberty sailing in?

Also, if we book an early evening flight, will we be able to visit some landmarks? Is it worth the hassle? We don't want to stay overnight or take cruiseline tour.

Thanks,

April

24 minutes ago, aprilsp88 said:

Will we be able to see Manhattan skylight and status of liberty sailing in?

Absolutely! You will need to look on the port side of the cruise ship in order to see the Statue of Liberty, and starboard-forward side to look at the NYC Skyline. 

15 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

Will we be able to see Manhattan skylight and status of liberty sailing in?

You wont get as close to the Statue of Liberty as you would if you were sailing up the Hudson to dock in Manhattan but you will be able to see it just before you get to Governors Island. Likewise, you wont get a great view of the NYC skyline as you will be looking right at the southern tip of Manhattan (vs seeing it in profile) but you will be able to see lower Manhattan skyline with the Freedom Tower being the most prominent. 

In terms of sightseeing, depending on what airport you were flying out of you could see a few highlights but you would only have time for a quick drive by or do a HOHO bus. New York is massive and you cant scratch the surface of it in days let alone a few hours. 

14 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Absolutely! You will need to look on the port side of the cruise ship in order to see the Statue of Liberty, and starboard-forward side to look at the NYC Skyline. 

Thanks, we'll be up early. I would prefer sail away from NY instead of coming back.

7 hours ago, AF-1 said:

what landmarks would you like to visit?

What's in my mind now are Charging bull, wall street, stock exchange, central station. I know there are other landmarks like time square, central park, Rockefeller center etc. Just want to visit a couple on the way to the airport.

5 minutes ago, aprilsp88 said:

What's in my mind now are Charging bull, wall street, stock exchange, central station. I know there are other landmarks like time square, central park, Rockefeller center etc. Just want to visit a couple on the way to the airport.

There is a ferry right at cruise terminal.  It can take you to Wall Street Ferry terminal.  From there you could head over to wall street, the 911 museum.  Since wall street is in lower manhattan you would need a taxi or uber to get up to Rockefeller center, Times Square, Central Park.  

Edited by AF-1

20 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

You wont get as close to the Statue of Liberty as you would if you were sailing up the Hudson to dock in Manhattan but you will be able to see it just before you get to Governors Island. Likewise, you wont get a great view of the NYC skyline as you will be looking right at the southern tip of Manhattan (vs seeing it in profile) but you will be able to see lower Manhattan skyline with the Freedom Tower being the most prominent. 

In terms of sightseeing, depending on what airport you were flying out of you could see a few highlights but you would only have time for a quick drive by or do a HOHO bus. New York is massive and you cant scratch the surface of it in days let alone a few hours. 

Too bad Princess never dock in Manhattan.

I haven't book flight, I want to figure out what can we see in a short time. We would come back for a full visit later but this time we're short of time. We plan to take ferry to wall street after disembark, walk around with carry on (is that feasible? or find a close by storage space, is there any?) Then take uber to central station. Then go to the airport. Is this a feasible plan?

3 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

There is a ferry right at cruise terminal.  It can take you to Wall Street Ferry terminal.  From there you could head over to wall street, the 911 museum.  Since wall street is in lower manhattan you would need a taxi or uber to get up to Rockefeller center, Times Square, Central Park.  

Wow, I'm just thinking like this! See my reply above. So this is feasible. Any place they can store luggage in wall street area? Thx

31 minutes ago, aprilsp88 said:

Wow, I'm just thinking like this! See my reply above. So this is feasible. Any place they can store luggage in wall street area? Thx

Luggage storage in local stores and eateries have sprung up all over NYC.  You’d have to research carefully to see if they suit.  Example: https://vertoe.com/search?locality=Downtown+Manhattan&lat=40.7218345&lng=-73.9998354&is_auto_location=0&drop=Jul+8%2C+2019+++++-+++++5%3A00+PM&pickup=&num_bags=1&is_search=1&cur_site=

35 minutes ago, aprilsp88 said:

I haven't book flight, I want to figure out what can we see in a short time. We would come back for a full visit later but this time we're short of time. We plan to take ferry to wall street after disembark, walk around with carry on (is that feasible? or find a close by storage space, is there any?) Then take uber to central station. Then go to the airport. Is this a feasible plan?

You would need to pick one major thing you would like to see and do that only-- you wont have enough time to bounce around town. Given what a time crunch you will be on I would recommend not relying on public transportation like ferries, trains, etc and use Uber/Lyft or taxis. You'll save a lot of time. 

If you chose to go downtown you could see the 9/11 Memorial, grab lunch, and head to the airport. If you chose to head to midtown you could walk around-- see Central Park, Times Square, and grab a bite to eat somewhere nice. In either scenario you could always check your bags at a hotel (they rarely will check if you are a guest or not-- you can always just tell them you are headed to the restaurant/bar). 

Depending on the day of the week you will need to build in more or less time to get to the airport. JFK will take the longest to get to in general (especially on weekends in the summer)-- Newark and LaGuardia are a little closer but can still be problematic in rush hour traffic. 

12 minutes ago, 138east said:

Luggage storage in local stores and eateries have sprung up all over NYC.  You’d have to research carefully to see if they suit.  Example: https://vertoe.com/search?locality=Downtown+Manhattan&lat=40.7218345&lng=-73.9998354&is_auto_location=0&drop=Jul+8%2C+2019+++++-+++++5%3A00+PM&pickup=&num_bags=1&is_search=1&cur_site=

Thanks for the link. It's very useful.

25 minutes ago, aprilsp88 said:

Thanks for the link. It's very useful.

It looks like there is a place close to pier 11 on this link.  Seriously, do some research to get reviews.  Also before you book a flight, run your flight options by this board and provide exact date and time.  Newark, La Guardia, and JFK are the three area airports. Newark and JFK have train options and could be better than sitting in traffic to make a flight.  There are several posters on this board who have experience with these airports.

16 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

You would need to pick one major thing you would like to see and do that only-- you wont have enough time to bounce around town. Given what a time crunch you will be on I would recommend not relying on public transportation like ferries, trains, etc and use Uber/Lyft or taxis. You'll save a lot of time. 

If you chose to go downtown you could see the 9/11 Memorial, grab lunch, and head to the airport. If you chose to head to midtown you could walk around-- see Central Park, Times Square, and grab a bite to eat somewhere nice. In either scenario you could always check your bags at a hotel (they rarely will check if you are a guest or not-- you can always just tell them you are headed to the restaurant/bar). 

Depending on the day of the week you will need to build in more or less time to get to the airport. JFK will take the longest to get to in general (especially on weekends in the summer)-- Newark and LaGuardia are a little closer but can still be problematic in rush hour traffic. 

Thanks for the suggestion. LaGuardia is the furthest as we dock in brooklyn terminal.

30 minutes ago, aprilsp88 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. LaGuardia is the furthest as we dock in brooklyn terminal.

Actually LGA is the closest airport by recommended road routes from Red Hook.  First decide where you want to spend your time in Manhattan.  Then folks can tell you how to get to each airport.  You apparently can troll your luggage, so that makes public transit an option during M-F rush hour.  That’s why we ask for exact dates, so folks can give appropriate advice.

21 hours ago, 138east said:

Actually LGA is the closest airport by recommended road routes from Red Hook.  First decide where you want to spend your time in Manhattan.  Then folks can tell you how to get to each airport.  You apparently can troll your luggage, so that makes public transit an option during M-F rush hour.  That’s why we ask for exact dates, so folks can give appropriate advice.

Sorry I meant EWR is the furthest.

We will disembark during weekday. Is traffic worse? My top interests are the charging bull, stock exchange, and maybe grand central station. Would taking ferry from cruise port to wall street more interesting than  uber?

40 minutes ago, aprilsp88 said:

Sorry I meant EWR is the furthest.

We will disembark during weekday. Is traffic worse? My top interests are the charging bull, stock exchange, and maybe grand central station. Would taking ferry from cruise port to wall street more interesting than  uber?

Traffic inbound to Manhattan will be worse on a weekday morning.  Chances are you would see “scenic” Red Hook and take the Hugh Carey Tunnel (up to $9.50 toll).  IMO the ferry ride would be much more interesting with lots of photo ops of the ship, East River bridges, and the lower Manhattan skyline.k

The ferry is great, but you'll likely have luggage. (If you can store it easily nearby, then less of an issue).

Alternatively, but not really cheaply, arrange for a car to pick you up, keep your luggage, and take you to the sights you want to catch and ultimately drop you off at the airport. There should be no problem with time. I believe there are many options through Viator and the like.

If you want to minimize your time waiting aboard and getting through customs (and thus, maximize your time in NY) you should select self-debarkation, if possible. If not, find (and tip) a porter to whisk you and your bags through the express line.

Edited by MarkBearSF

One more consideration for your timing and time spent at the airport, some airlines will only accept luggage for check-in X hours before departure. Also, some airline lounges restrict a visit to a maximum length.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:37 PM, AF-1 said:

WE arrive at Brooklyn terminal in November 2019 and are hoping to use the ferry to cross to Manhatten.However someone has said it only operates during the summer months??Hopefully they are wrong!

15 minutes ago, ann141 said:

WE arrive at Brooklyn terminal in November 2019 and are hoping to use the ferry to cross to Manhatten.However someone has said it only operates during the summer months??Hopefully they are wrong!

The ferry to Red Hook operates year round.  https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

Edited by 138east