Horrible Story, What was he thinking?

dkjretired

6 hours ago, Kmangel said:

I imagine there are witnesses, too, that will come forward.

For what it’s worth, I read they have not had any eye witnesses come forward. And then, I also read that a crew member witnessed the grandfather losing his balance.

2 hours ago, LovetheSea said:

If this is the pool deck, there are always a few windows open in that area. For better air flow maybe. I have never seen a passenger open one. Could happen. 

I've opened them on Explorer of the Seas. On EotS they are about chest high on an adult. Trying to blame RC is pretty cheesy imo.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I just wondered...who contacted/hired the attorney?  How did the “Miami based attorney” get hired by a devastated family from Indiana?  I just feel it probably wasn’t her parents.

RCCL (and Celebrity) have a provision in the passenger contract that requires a passenger to file suit against them only in Miami.  That presumably is why a Miami based attorney is involved.  I also assume that one of the family members or a friend googled "cruise attorneys" and found the attorney that is now involved.

26 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

RCCL (and Celebrity) have a provision in the passenger contract that requires a passenger to file suit against them only in Miami.  That presumably is why a Miami based attorney is involved.  I also assume that one of the family members or a friend googled "cruise attorneys" and found the attorney that is now involved.

The mother is a lawyer. She probably has contacts. 

On 7/10/2019 at 8:14 PM, helen haywood said:

Agree.  This was a terrible tragedy but to suggest all the windows on that deck will be welded closed or outfitted with bars is nonsense.

Exactly. Especially since they exist on at least 2 classes of RCCL ships and this is the first I have heard of anyone going out them.

44 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Exactly. Especially since they exist on at least 2 classes of RCCL ships and this is the first I have heard of anyone going out them.

A warning sticker might suffice

14 hours ago, janetz said:

What a terrible thing to say.

Shame on you.

Winkleman, the attorney for the family, has sought to shift the blame for the accident to Royal Caribbean for having an open window in a children's area without any warning signs, leading to a preventable tragedy.  The grandfather assumed there was glass in the area next to the child.  He also assumed that the child would bang on the glass as she did at hockey games, but there was no glass there.  I have to wonder why the grandfather didn't notice that there was no glass before putting his granddaughter on the rail.  Winkelman also has requested a copy of the CC video and has been denied by Royal Caribbean. 

Looks like maritime law uses a standard of "comparative negligence", which would enable the family to get a judgment against Royal Caribbean and that amount would be offset by the percentage of negligence of the grandfather.  This is a matter for courts, after reviewing all relevant evidence to decide.  That video will be the key as well as for the court to determine if the grandfather acting reasonably or recklessly (if this thing isn't settled by insurance companies).

Another thought on the motivation for hiring an attorney; it may not be for the purpose of securing a monetary award so much as  trying to sway public opinion.  The death of a child is about the worst thing a parent / other family can experience, and to have it be sudden, not the result of an illness ( no warning or chance to grieve & come to terms in advance)  avoidable makes it so much worse.   May just be in survival mode, trying to do whatever they can to put a different spin on it.  Hard enough to suffer such a loss in relative privacy but these folks have none.   Going to work, inevitable talk & then everyone shuts up when you walk into the room, even leaving the house to get groceries is going to be tough.  

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:28 PM, Nymich said:

Yes they will be forced to take that action as a way to prevent this from happening again.

Their own investigation will determine that they HAVE to have them closed.  Bear in mind I am not holding 

anyone responsible I just know how internal accident investigations work having done many of them.

Only seems fitting to extend the glass to at least 6' in all public areas where there is a railing including balcony cabins to prevent overboard situations. I think safety catch nets might be in order too. Or just a little common sense works wonders too.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CikraB said:

Only seems fitting to extend the glass to at least 6' in all public areas where there is a railing including balcony cabins to prevent overboard situations. I think safety catch nets might be in order too. Or just a little common sense works wonders too.

Great idea. A safety catch net around the whole ship 24/7. Think of all those people that would be saved who just happened to fall off their balcony in the middle of the night!

15 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Great idea. A safety catch net around the whole ship 24/7. Think of all those people that would be saved who just happened to fall off their balcony in the middle of the night!

Are you serious?   Make the ship and every open deck a floating trampoline?  Or call it a suicide safety net?  No way.

I want my unobstructed view.

28 minutes ago, CikraB said:

23 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Are you serious?   🙄  You want  every open deck to look like a floating trampoline.?   Or maybe call it a suicide safety net.  As for drunk PAXs and idiot PAXs behaving badly and fall off the ship?  Too bad for them.  Stupid behavior has consequences.

I want my unobstructed views.

Freedom has been in service since '06.  13 years x 365 days x 4000 passengers = 19mm passenger days.  Add 2 other Freedom Class and 5 Voyager Class ships with similar pool deck configuration and you're talking almost 200mm passenger days.  One tragic accident and people want to start moving windows?    

2 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Freedom has been in service since '06.  13 years x 365 days x 4000 passengers = 19mm passenger days.  Add 2 other Freedom Class and 5 Voyager Class ships with similar pool deck configuration and you're talking almost 200mm passenger days.  One tragic accident and people want to start moving windows?    

That was my thinking. I'd make no changes at all. 

• Like 1