Has the QM2 experience changed over the years?

prothed

On 7/9/2019 at 5:14 AM, exlondoner said:

When I did a TA on QM2 in 2006, it was full of people beginning sentences 'On QE2...'  which carried on to make uncomplimentary and often fatuous comparisons. Thank heavens, this seems to have stopped happening.

Although I would never start a conversation about the QE2 I would certainly join in when someone else started it. To me, the QM2 in almost every way is a superior ship to the QE2, but there are a few things I miss – one being the traditional dress standards. It was jacket and tie for gents every night, at least on crossings. On our last crossing of the QE2 just six months before her retirement in 2008, every night except the first and last was formal, i.e, four formal nights. Also, on boarding the QE2 there was a certain je ne sais quoi one felt immediately. I have never experienced that feeling on any other ship before or since.

Regarding changes to the QM2 the crossings took six nights until 2010 when they became seven. Unlike many on this forum, I like the seven nights but if the crossings went back to six maybe there would be a few more every year. 

Regarding the dress code, on our 2009 crossing  there were three formal nights and one semi-formal. In 2010, our first seven-night crossing, there were four formal and one semi-formal night.  As we all know that has been changed to three formal.

As to the redecoration, I don’t care for most of the new carpeting except in the staterooms. That, of course, is a matter of personal taste. I agree that the Carinthia lounge is attractive, but I also liked the previous Winter Garden. I know I’m in the minority on that opinion, but there are others who agree. I do like the slightly more elegant décor of the new Club balcony staterooms on Deck 13.

As for service and food, I have noticed no downgrading. I have had the good fortune of dining in all four main restaurants. I like them all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Also, on boarding the QE2 there was a certain je ne sais quoi one felt immediately. I have never experienced that feeling on any other ship before or since.

I like the QM2 a lot-- but I agree with you. QE2 had a certain magic in the air you picked up on the second you boarded into the mid ships lobby that her predecessors just don't. And this isn't even nostalgia-- we would talk about it at the time before her withdrawal from service was even announced. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

I like the QM2 a lot-- but I agree with you. QE2 had a certain magic in the air you picked up on the second you boarded into the mid ships lobby that her predecessors just don't. And this isn't even nostalgia-- we would talk about it at the time before her withdrawal from service was even announced. 

Hi, 

I agree about the QE2. I had the privilege of sailing aboard the QE2 seven times between 1984 and 2005. I have also sailed aboard the QM2 seven times between 2004 and 2019. The QM2 is my favorite ship that currently is in service, but the QE2 remains my all-time favorite ship. The QE2 had a certain magic.

Chuck 

4 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

The QM2 is my favorite ship that currently is in service, but the QE2 remains my all-time favorite ship. The QE2 had a certain magic. 

Ditto, Totally Agree...

We still to this day love to repeat stories of the QE2 and differences to the Mary 2.... Certain Magic with each Sailing.

We took to 2 TAs and 2 Caribbean cruises early in the QM2’s career, and all were great. Then we took a 5-night New England/Canada cruise a few years ago. The service (QG) was horrible, from the restaurant to the cabin service to the entertainment. The carpets were threadbare, the decor tired, the ambience simply gone. Apparently the ship has undergone a refit since then. I’m not sure, but I do know that our fare was not adjusted to reflect what Cunard knew would be an inferior experience. It would take a lot for me to board that ship again.

The QV and QE cabins are far better. Yes, they are smaller ships, but the sense of intimacy is palpable. Much more like the Caronia. We have sailed both the “Vista” ships numerous times (most recently in June). Loved every cruise. 

They do have the Big Band Ball from time to time, that would bring the Queens Room to the size you're showing.

The Royal Court Theatre Orchestra hasn't been that large since I've been cruising starting in 2010 (where would the dancers dance?). I believe that's been augmented with additional musicians.

Edited by Underwatr

On 7/14/2019 at 7:11 AM, Harley52 said:

No more free alcohol.

Even if we don't count the free drink packages sometimes offered to Grills guests and the generous in-suite alcohol in Queen's Grill staterooms and suites, there are still some free alcoholic beverages. Some would say we shouldn't count the Pol Acker provided to all passengers on embarkation, so we won't go there.

All passengers are invited to  a drinks reception with the captain. Members of the "club" at the Gold level and above get a second reception and those at the Platinum and Diamond level get a third.

The "regulars" know all this and I mention it only because there are often new members of the forum and other members who have never travelled on Cunard and might not know this.

Platinum and Diamond also receive an invitation to a complementary wine tasting. The timing (last day or two of the trip) and venue (Britannia upper level) haven't really been attractive to us so I can't comment on the wines provided.

20 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Platinum and Diamond also receive an invitation to a complementary wine tasting. The timing (last day or two of the trip) and venue (Britannia upper level) haven't really been attractive to us so I can't comment on the wines provided.

Quality variable from mediocre to quite interesting. I always relish the chance to admire the Britannia restaurant.

2 hours ago, Underwatr said:

They do have the Big Band Ball from time to time, that would bring the Queens Room to the size you're showing.

The Royal Court Theatre Orchestra hasn't been that large since I've been cruising starting in 2010 (where would the dancers dance?). I believe that's been augmented with additional musicians.

Yes!   

The first of ronbe65's photos appears to be from one of the Big Band Balls with the Royal Court Theater band (normally 9 musicians) augmented by some of the players from the Queens Room band (normally 7 musicians).

The second photo is the regular Queens Room band (7 musicians + singer).

The third photo is Royal Court Theater band augmented with players from the Queens Room band, the String Quartet, and the Harpist,

It has been this way since our first QM2 crossing in 2012.  The only Royal Court Theater band (instrumental) change I've observed is that one of the horn players was replaced by a synthesizer player a few years back.   The individual players may have changed, but the band size has remained pretty constant.

Here's the Big Band Ball from the June eastbound crossing. The angle of the photo emphasizes the space between them more but I think the same number of musicians (maybe a couple fewer) are shown as in ronbe65's "before" photo.

IMG_20190609_215208.thumb.jpg.c062b02c79a68d4f34585aa3d08ab1cf.jpg

Edited by Underwatr