Chase Sapphire preferred trip cancellation insurance

pwizzle

I had a cruise scheduled in May, and unfortunately my father in law passed away the day before we were going to leave.  I called Chase card services the next day and they instructed me to file a claim on eclaimsline.com when I had the obituary or death certificate. About 3 weeks later I tried filling my claim which was impossible because it required I include flight information, and we were going to drive. After calling the eclaimsline folks they sent me a non-fillable (smh) PDF. I filled it out and returned it to the email address on the form and attached the supporting documents. Two weeks later they emailed me that it was approved and gave me payment options. I chose direct deposit and the full amount was in my checking account the next day.

So overall pretty good. I was expecting a back and forth or perhaps nickel and diming. Just a little annoyance with the system.

Side note, my parents had separately booked the same cruise and bought the insurance with their booking. I was worried that theirs would get denied since it was their daughter in law's father passing away on a separately booked cruise, but they got approved 1 day before me.

We also used the Chase ins for a cruise cancelled for medical reasons and also the redeposit fee for American Airlines miles.  It paid and we were very pleased.  We don't like the website but talking to a person is also possible and works better.

Chase Sapphire Preferred cancellation benefits are included as long as you purchase a portion of the trip with the card.  Here is an excerpt from the benefits:

Covered Trip means any pre-paid tour, trip or vacation when some portion of the cost for such travel arrangements less any redeemable frequent flyer miles, points, coupons or certificates, or other types of redeemable Rewards has been charged to your Account

• Like 1