Unlimited dining on Adventure of the Seas & any other insights

Hello,

We are cruising for the first time on the AOS next January (rebook from Oasis incident last April). It will be my husband, myself, & 2 boys. We are looking into the dining plan as we love Chops. Not sure the boys will always eat at specialty restaurants. I can not find much about dining on this ship or much about the ship at all really. Are the only specialty restaurants Giovanni’s & Chops? We do not eat sushi so Izumi is out for us as they do not have the Hibatchi side, correct? Also, is Johnny Rockets included? Any other insights to this ship would be great as it is my boys (11 & 8 yrs) first ever cruise & we are sailing 8 nights Eastern Caribbean. Thank you 😊 

No hibachi or hot rock on Adventure.

Johnny Rockets is included.

Chops, Izumi, Giovanni's, and JR are the only extra cost specialty restaurants.

Our boys were the exact same age when we sailed on Adventure in 2017. We all had a fantastic time and they both still rave about our dinner at Chops (we did not do any other specialty dining). And we’ve taken them to *nice* restaurants before and since. 

We, unfortunately, did not get to experience any of the nightlife other than a trivia night or two at Schooners as our kids got so worn out from the days activities that they just wanted to hang in our cabin at night - we were in a GS so there actually was room to hang, lol. They also had zero interest in the kids club - my younger son still complains that it smelled like pee - so if you get any one-on-one time with your spouse, consider that a bonus. 😉

Chops and Giovanni's are both nice.  Not sure kids that age would enjoy 1.5-2 hour meals there every night though.  Just a suggestion - look into the 3 or 5 night packages?  Faster dinners at windjammer the other nights might be just fine.

Thank you all for the information. I was a bit worried when I couldn’t find much about this ship. 

@BunnyHutt, I was hoping not to hear that as I was hoping for some couple time. I had kinda figured it might work that way though. 😕 Did you find that there were plenty of family/kid friendly things to do on board?

@bouhunter, Thanks for the suggestion - we will look again but for the price of the unlimited plan I feel we could get our money’s worth not going every single night. I am hoping my youngest will love the kids club so we could feed him first & then have dinner with my oldest some of those nights. He loves a great steak & can sit longer than my youngest. My youngest could eat chicken fingers every night & be happy 😀 

We had a very port-intensive itinerary and only had one day at sea on our 7-night cruise. The kids enjoyed the Flowrider and water slides. And we played a lot of bingo, lol. But, honestly, they really enjoyed just sitting and reading on our balcony. Adventure was a lovely ship that suited our needs perfectly. 

I'm cruising next Dec with the boys (husband wont be able to get off work) and, because we’ve got 4 days at sea, chose a boat that has more ‘stuff’ to do. They’ll also be in 7th and 9th grades and I’m hoping will continue to prove they’re responsible enough to let explore on their own for chunks of time... obviously that was not an option when they were 3rd/5th grades. 

@BunnyHutt, Thank you for putting my mind at ease. I’m sure we will have a blast on our AOS cruise in Jan. We have 8 nights & 5 ports so we are port intensive too.  I can see my oldest being a bit more relaxed & enjoying our balcony. My youngest on the other hand is 0 to 60 all day long so he will want to go go go.

We were originally booked for the Oasis last April (when the crane accident at Freeport happened & our cruise was cancelled 5 days before we left) needless to say we were all crushed & disappointed. We had a really hard time finding another cruise we could afford for our family that was still kids sail free. So, we are taking them outta school for the week (2nd & 6th grade), we didn’t have many options & this week seemed less of an issue, hopefully. I was super concerned about kids activities between the Adventure and Oasis....it’s killing them to wait more months after a year wait for our April trip. 😬 I hope they especially have a great time as a first cruise 🚢.  Hope you have a great cruise in December! 

@BunnyHutt, Thank you for putting my mind at ease. I’m sure we will have a blast on our AOS cruise in Jan. We have 8 nights & 4 ports so we are semi port intensive too.  I can see my oldest being a bit more relaxed & enjoying our balcony. My youngest on the other hand is 0 to 60 all day long so he will want to go go go.

We were originally booked for the Oasis last April (when the crane accident at Freeport happened & our cruise was cancelled 5 days before we left) needless to say we were all crushed & disappointed. We had a really hard time finding another cruise we could afford for our family that was still kids sail free. So, we are taking them outta school for the week (2nd & 6th grade), we didn’t have many options & this week seemed less of an issue, hopefully. I was super concerned about kids activities between the Adventure and Oasis....it’s killing them to wait more months after a year wait for our April trip. 😬 I hope they especially have a great time as a first cruise 🚢.  Hope you have a great cruise in December! 

16 hours ago, ethansmom778 said:

Hello,

We are cruising for the first time on the AOS next January (rebook from Oasis incident last April). It will be my husband, myself, & 2 boys. We are looking into the dining plan as we love Chops. Not sure the boys will always eat at specialty restaurants. I can not find much about dining on this ship or much about the ship at all really. Are the only specialty restaurants Giovanni’s & Chops? We do not eat sushi so Izumi is out for us as they do not have the Hibatchi side, correct? Also, is Johnny Rockets included? Any other insights to this ship would be great as it is my boys (11 & 8 yrs) first ever cruise & we are sailing 8 nights Eastern Caribbean. Thank you 😊 

Hi @ethansmom778

We are sailing 8 night eastern on Adventure over Thanksgiving and have booked the 3 night dining package. My take on it is that with only 2 specialty restaurants to choose from (we don't eat sushi either) the ultimate package would have been overkill. If you do want to go for it, I suggest you keep checking the Cruise Planner daily to watch out for any possible sales that would save you some money. Remember you can always cancel and rebook if you see it at a cheaper price than you paid.

I believe there is a kids' menu at the specialty restaurants which is cheaper than the full cost but I'm not sure how it works. Maybe someone who does could chime in with that information.