Coco Chill Cabanas

My family and I ( 3 kids. Age 12,11,8) are going on our first Cruise in October.  We are so excited!   I’m sure it is going to be amazing!

I’ve just started using the cruise planner and am trying to figure out what extras to get. 

Here are some questions that I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I was wondering if the Cococay chill cabanas ever sell out?  I was hoping to catch a deal, currently the price is  $799...yuck.   After reading about other cruisers getting  it for $500 and less, it’s hard to pay the current price.

In your opinion, do you think that I should go ahead and reserve the chill cabanas and if I see a deal, cancel and rebook?  I would hate for them to run out.  

Do you get a better price purchasing the excursions, meal plans, cabanas onboard?  

If you are committed to having a cabana, then purchase now and keep watching for a price drop.  You can cancel for a full refund to your credit card up to 72 hours before the cruise.

No way to predict prices onboard, and there's no guarantee that any dining plan will be offered on board.

Sell out all the time.

I am sailing in April and hoping to snag one of the new 'to be built in dec' overwater cabanas...but since they aren't available to book yet...I booked a chill as a backup plan 😉

• Like 1

We booked a Chill Island Cabana for $435 for our Harmony cruise in October.  We have 5 adults (one in a wheelchair) and 2 young children so I think it will be worth it to have a shady spot to relax.  Last time I checked they were charging $1200 for them so I'm glad I booked early.

39 minutes ago, orkaren1 said:

We booked a Chill Island Cabana for $435 for our Harmony cruise in October.  We have 5 adults (one in a wheelchair) and 2 young children so I think it will be worth it to have a shady spot to relax.  Last time I checked they were charging $1200 for them so I'm glad I booked early.

I hope you have a beach wheelchair. We had a cabana last month and the sand was real tough to move through(I have mobility issues and had major troubles).Also some of the new cabanas don't have steps.Ours didn't and getting up to the platform was challenging - even for the cabana attendant.

I would call special needs and the excursion desk and let them know, hopefully they can reserve a wheelchair and give you a cabana close to the the tram drops you off. 

Good news is there is a tram that drops you off 50 feet away from the cabana area.

Good luck, Enjoy!

• Like 1

Which ship are you sailing on?  In watching the prices for the last 6 weeks or so, the cost of the cabanas seems to be somewhat dependent on the size of this ship in port.  (More passengers, more demand, higher prices).  We paid $349 for and Oasis Lagoon cabana for our June 24-28 on Navigator.  I think we made the reservation in April.

That being said, if you are just looking for Lounge chairs and shade, know that there are plenty of loungers and umbrellas!

We are sailing on Mariner 2nd week of October.  

I really appreciate everybody’s input.  

Also where can I find information on the bungalows?  I had no idea that was even an option!  I haven’t been able to find any information on the Royal Caribbean site or cruise planner.

I’m wondering if the prices are more reasonable?

6 minutes ago, jakeykay said:

I’m wondering if the prices are more reasonable?

From what I've seen here, the bungalows are less expensive than the cabanas.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

From what I've seen here, the bungalows are less expensive than the cabanas.

the boxed lunch at the bungalows was lack luster when I had it in August of 2018.

the buffet at the previously refereed to as 'suite' cabanas (the only ones they had) but now called Chill Island Cabanas was wonderful

the ocean (beach) at the bungalows stayed shallow

the ocean (beach) at the Chill Island Cabana get deep enough for real swimming and led out to nice snorkeling area

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

I hope you have a beach wheelchair. We had a cabana last month and the sand was real tough to move through(I have mobility issues and had major troubles).Also some of the new cabanas don't have steps.Ours didn't and getting up to the platform was challenging - even for the cabana attendant.

I would call special needs and the excursion desk and let them know, hopefully they can reserve a wheelchair and give you a cabana close to the the tram drops you off. 

Good news is there is a tram that drops you off 50 feet away from the cabana area.

Good luck, Enjoy!

Thanks for the info.  From what I have read there are some beach wheelchairs provided.  We have two strong, young men in our group so lifting my husband into the cabana should not be too much trouble.  I have sent an email with other questions to special needs department and am waiting for a reply. If I don't hear from them soon I will go ahead and call.  I am sure we can make it work somehow and are looking forward to our day at Coco Cay.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, orkaren1 said:

Thanks for the info.  From what I have read there are some beach wheelchairs provided.  We have two strong, young men in our group so lifting my husband into the cabana should not be too much trouble.  I have sent an email with other questions to special needs department and am waiting for a reply. If I don't hear from them soon I will go ahead and call.  I am sure we can make it work somehow and are looking forward to our day at Coco Cay.

Sounds like you are well prepared and you shouldn't have any problems. BTW, our cabana was highlight of the cruise for us! 

Does anyone have a picture of the Chill Island cabanas.  How big is the step up to the cabana? I have mobility issues and am getting concerned that I will not be able to access my cabana. I can request assistance via a beach wheelchair to get to the cabana but it wont help getting up into the cabana if the step up is too high.

1 hour ago, dodgestang said:

you can see the steps for the front row cabanas....I believe the back row have fewer steps

DSC02422.JPG.7c113d8f6860f85e3f41f89b315cc507.JPG

They have redone the cabanas lately. 

Here is the best I have of the front row cabanas from the beginning of June.

0605191419_HDR.thumb.jpg.842aea410cce6b7ae6922122be3cdde4.jpg

I would guess the platform is about 12" off the sand. Ours in the back row was 16-18". They redid them and added about 10 new cabanas bringing the total to 24.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

They have redone the cabanas lately. 

Here is the best I have of the front row cabanas from the beginning of June.

I would guess the platform is about 12" off the sand. Ours in the back row was 16-18". They redid them and added about 10 new cabanas bringing the total to 24.

Thank you for all the helpful information about the cabanas for those with mobility issues.

I've had questions about the island as a whole for the mobility challenged.  I understand that there are beach wheelchairs.  My question is what does one do with their own wheelchair when they transfer to the beach w-chair?  Meaning, one has to use their own w-chair coming off the ship, down the dock, and across the island to the designated beach w-chair pick up area.  Ok. So now you put your chair, where?   

And what about the ground on the island?  Are there paved pathways to walk with a regular wheelchair for someone who just wants to sightsee and walk the island without ever going onto the sand?  At least hard-packed sand walkways?  

And the tram?  I read that it's accessible.  Does that mean that you can roll a w-chair right up on to it?  Or is it accessible like a "kneeling bus" that just provides lower access to the steps?   And does this tram really come down the dock to pick people up at the ship?  Or do you still have to walk the dock to meet the tram at the loading zone?

Thanks for all the help.  Coco Cay is certainly different from the last time we were there.  Our previous experience with the beach w-chairs no longer applies.

4 hours ago, cruisemeister8 said:

Thank you for all the helpful information about the cabanas for those with mobility issues.

I've had questions about the island as a whole for the mobility challenged.  I understand that there are beach wheelchairs.  My question is what does one do with their own wheelchair when they transfer to the beach w-chair?  Meaning, one has to use their own w-chair coming off the ship, down the dock, and across the island to the designated beach w-chair pick up area.  Ok. So now you put your chair, where?   

And what about the ground on the island?  Are there paved pathways to walk with a regular wheelchair for someone who just wants to sightsee and walk the island without ever going onto the sand?  At least hard-packed sand walkways?  

And the tram?  I read that it's accessible.  Does that mean that you can roll a w-chair right up on to it?  Or is it accessible like a "kneeling bus" that just provides lower access to the steps?   And does this tram really come down the dock to pick people up at the ship?  Or do you still have to walk the dock to meet the tram at the loading zone?

Thanks for all the help.  Coco Cay is certainly different from the last time we were there.  Our previous experience with the beach w-chairs no longer applies.

There are cement/stone paths to everywhere.  In fact, it would be possible to take a paved path all the way to the Oasis Lagoon pool deck and transfer to a lounge chair with umbrella without ever leaving cement.  (The weird thing tome though, is all of the outdoor showers/foot showers that I saw on the island are a couple of steps off the path through sand, with the exception-I think- being the one across from the *free* splash pad.). I can’t speak to Thrill Waterpark specifically because we didn’t go there, but I *think* there are no steps up into those cabanas.   We did not take the tram, but I do believe it picked up at the end of the pier near the ship.  The tram is just fancy, extended golf carts, so I’m not sure about their accessibility.   They may have specific cart that are accessible and I wouldn’t know.   Obviously, any area that is a beach will have a point at which the cement path will end and the sand will start.   Let me see if I can find a front-facing photo of a cabana to show you.  

Not the greatest so it might not be helpful, but here it is anyway.  You can kind of see it is about a standard step up or so to get inside.   These are actually the Oasis Lagoon cabanas, and they are set back in the sand behind a couple of rows of chairs, side tables and umbrellas.   I hope this helps you.

09957318-2981-445D-BFAD-02EE4A8BD2D3.png

On 7/8/2019 at 8:31 PM, orkaren1 said:

If you happen to be going on Harmony on October 20th, this is our informal roll call, if you'd like to chat with some of your fellow cruisers! Cheers!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisemeister8 said:

Sorry, I thought this posted earlier.

I am not sure about what you would do with your wheelchair when you transfer to the beach w-chair. There are two sets of trams. One that takes you from the ship, down the pier to island and a second one that goes from in front of the thrill park around it and the balloon area, south beach and turns around at the cabana end of of Chill Island near the wave runners. There are trams that are fully accessible - ramps that unfold that you can roll up(but they are steep).

As stated there are paved/packed sand paths in most areas and they are working hard to make more areas accessible with each work cycle. The tram drivers we had were super helpful and friendly. they took extra time and lent a helping hand when needed. Didn't make us feel that we stood out at all. One man said they opening new paths and making them easier to walk each day. We were there at the first of June and it was for the most part fine except the actual beach at Chill Island. You should be in good shape in August. Just need the beach w-chair to get the last bit to cabana.

Once there the coach and chairs are surprisingly comfortable. Our cabana didn't have electricity running to it, but others did and they had ceiling fans. I suppose they crazy busy after the ships leave each day doing construction and building stuff out.