Silver Origin booking news

WesW

We booked the new Origin for early December, 2020. I had also been checking the Celebrity Flora. The particular cruise we booked had the Venetian Society discount (several dates had this) and after calculating the total cost it was slightly less than the Celebrity Flora for the same time period. The Celebrity Flora is advertising buy one, second half for 10 day plus itinerary. We booked the Origin, which is also 10 days. Both ships look really great but we have never sailed with Celebrity and have with Silversea.  

Edited by Carol From California

They are both good. Western itinerary is the volcanically active part, and the one with penguins and flightless cormorants. North and Central is to the older, more eroded islands and the only one where you will see albatross. The rest of the wildlife (boobies, sea lions, giant tortoise, marine iguana etc) you will see on either itinerary .

12 minutes ago, tsavorite said:

They are both good. Western itinerary is the volcanically active part, and the one with penguins and flightless cormorants. North and Central is to the older, more eroded islands and the only one where you will see albatross. The rest of the wildlife (boobies, sea lions, giant tortoise, marine iguana etc) you will see on either itinerary .

Thanks for the post - (we're now booked on a Western itinerary Nov 7 2020 on Origin).

The SS splash wear store offers a wetsuit that "can be worn under a shortie wetsuit".  Given that November sea temps are near coolest, would having both be a good idea?  

This will be our first voyage on Silversea therefore no experience with their "expedition" products either.

We'd be grateful for any other advice on how to best enjoy this adventure.

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 1.58.54 PM.png

Thanks for that.

For us, the wildlife side of things is the prime reason for going.

We are looking at July 2021, at which time of year there should be an increased chance of spotting whales, so my research will continue.

Fingers crossed!

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, iMarco46 said:

Given that November sea temps are near coolest, would having both be a good idea?  

We went in November and I wore a rash vest and swimming costume under the wet suit and was never cold.

I agree that it was not cold (maybe cool) wearing a rash vest. I took two and was glad of them. A couple on our cruise had brought surfer’s swimming leggings, and those seemed a very good idea if you are susceptible to cold.

On 7/19/2019 at 6:18 AM, Herman The Cat said:

Emtbsam, you asked about time of year. I have been on the Silver Galapagos twice, in April and November. Air temperatures were not that different, just slightly warmer in April and the sun was definitely stronger. Different animals at different times of the year, and sea life. I preferred April, as I felt there were was more birds in April. Keep in mind one itinerary is more wildlife and one is more volcanic, so choose accordingly.

Herman -  Thank you for the information.  March or early April suits us better than November in 2021, and since we will be doing both itineraries, we should see a good combination of sea life and scenery.