On the Joy...right now!

We made it to Alaska on the beautiful Norwegian Joy!  

I was very hesitant after reading some of the reviews, but it is a beautiful ship.  I just think they are still working the kinks out.  Our family is just trying to keep our sense of humor!

Here's a short recap as of today (day 4):

• Check-in was easy and there was plenty of room for everyone to wait until their group was called. 
  • The buffet was simply crazy upon embarking!   We sat outside which was fine...there were overhead heaters! 
  • The app to use onboard is a bit lacking.  We made reservations for comedy when we got on board, but we can only see the reservations on the TV in the room or on the paper they gave us when the reservations were made.  It seems like that would be an easy item to link to the app.   The app also doesn't have hours of operation for the restaurants or their menus (other cruise lines' apps that I have used have both 🙂).  The activities are also just listed no more than 24 hours in advance so we couldn't plan that far in advance.  Again, sorry to bring up other cruise lines, but their apps had the whole week on the app so planning was much easier).  I just got on the app this morning and noticed that the itinerary on the app is NOT our itinerary.  We are planned to go to Icy Strait Point tomorrow, but the app today says Skagway.  I'll have to ask Guest Services about that.  We haven't been told of any change. 
  • Our stateroom on desk 14 forward is very well appointed and large enough for our family of four.  My biggest issue though, is that on the website, the room is described as 2 twin beds that convert to a queen and a murphy bed.  However, when we got to the room, we were very disappointed that it is NOT 2 twin beds that convert to a queen.  It is actually a full queen that cannot be separated.  This is our biggest issue thus far because we actually bid on this room and made sure that we would have 2 separate beds for our 20-something kids. We have discussed this with many people and as of today, this has not been resolved.   I would not have bid on this type of room had I known that my kids would not have separate beds.  I do hope I hear something about this in a few days.
  • The entertainment staff is fantastic!  We've been to trivia and some of the game shows and really enjoyed them, but, as everyone is saying, they are held in the atrium and seating is limited.  We've had to sit in the folding chairs that they bring in or stand if we get there too late!
  • We did one excursion (Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour) in Ketchikan and simply loved it!  I thought we would see Bald Eagles from far away, but no!! They were flying very close to the boat...great photo opportunities!   They explained and showed us how they fish for crab.  We could hold 2 different types of crab!  My whole family gave this excursion two thumbs up 👍👍!! Highly recommend it! 
  • We went to the Footloose show and it was fantastic!! Those performers are so talented!  Great performance...the theatre was packed.
  • We're sailing into Juneau as I write this...just beautiful! 
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, angelsdeb said:

Hi could you check in the card room and see what kind of dominoes they have please. We are interested in double nines or double twelves. Thank you☺️

I just checked the card/game room (it's not an enclosed room...it's just an area next to guest services with a big cabinet) and sorry, I didn't find any dominoes.  This morning, I found Checkers, Backgammon, Monopoly, and Norwegian's own "Ports of Call" game.  I have seen others around the ship playing board games (usually Monopoly and Scrabble) and many, many people playing cards...especially in the observation deck..  I haven't seen anyone yet playing dominoes.

Thanks for your report.

I'm looking to book my first NCL cruise for October this year (Vancouver to LA) and I'm a bit nervous as I'll be travelling solo. I've also only done two cruises before (both on RCC) so I'm not sure what to expect.

What sort of things are included please? I have seen the 'free at sea' offer and I'd like to choose the drinks package and internet. I think I've read water isn't included in the drinks package, unless you pay extra how can access drinking water? Also how restrictive is the drinks package please as I love a cocktail or glass of wine with dinner.

About the bed being a normal Queen size, I presume you got a CB (Penthouse suite). Isn’t it true that the extra bed is also not a Murphy bed but a sofa bed?

Do you mind sharing your room number?

56 minutes ago, beckyboo1986 said:

Thanks for your report.

I'm looking to book my first NCL cruise for October this year (Vancouver to LA) and I'm a bit nervous as I'll be travelling solo. I've also only done two cruises before (both on RCC) so I'm not sure what to expect.

What sort of things are included please? I have seen the 'free at sea' offer and I'd like to choose the drinks package and internet. I think I've read water isn't included in the drinks package, unless you pay extra how can access drinking water? Also how restrictive is the drinks package please as I love a cocktail or glass of wine with dinner.

All the bars and restaurants will supply water.  Bring a nice water bottle and you can have it filled all over the ship.

The drinks package is unlimited (2 at a time) each day.  It covers all drinks up to $15.  Any drinks that are more than that you just pay the difference (i.e., $22 drink - $15 = $7 fee).

A sample menu from a few months back.

IMG_1206 sm.jpg

IMG_1207 sm.jpg

IMG_1208sm.jpg

IMG_1209sm.jpg

IMG_1210sm.jpg

IMG_1212sm.jpg

IMG_1213sm.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

All the bars and restaurants will supply water.  Bring a nice water bottle and you can have it filled all over the ship.

The drinks package is unlimited (2 at a time) each day.  It covers all drinks up to $15.  Any drinks that are more than that you just pay the difference (i.e., $22 drink - $15 = $7 fee).

A sample menu from a few months back.

IMG_1206 sm.jpg

IMG_1207 sm.jpg

IMG_1208sm.jpg

IMG_1209sm.jpg

IMG_1210sm.jpg

IMG_1212sm.jpg

IMG_1213sm.jpg

I don’t think those menus are current.

44 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Which is why my last statement before the pictures was "A sample menu from a few months back."

Yes, I saw that. I’m not condemning you for attempting to provide information, I’m simply alerting readers that the menus you posted have changed.

Would you be willing to take photos of the different tabs of the tablet menus of the food republic? I'm fine with upload whenever you return from the trip, I would just like to see what the menu looks like.

8 hours ago, beckyboo1986 said:

Thanks for your report.

Sorry, we didn't get the drink package so I can't really speak to that.  My husband and I rarely drink so we just pay as we go.

We didn't buy the bottled water either.  We did bring some empty water bottles on board and fill when needed.  There are juice machines, ice and water machines, milk, coffee and tea available in the Garden Café (the buffet) that work for us.  These have also been available to us at the main dining rooms and in the observations lounge (I've had no problem getting water or coffee late at night or early in the morning in the observation lounge).

We were in Juneau yesterday!  We were in port from about 7:00 to 1:30. 

Here are the highlights:

• It didn't rain!!  We've been told that they have had a drought for about a week now so they are expecting rain any day now.  We were very lucky to have a rather sunny and pleasant  day!
  • The shuttle to downtown was very convenient but there is a sidewalk into town so for those who would rather walk.  The wait time was just a couple of minutes and the buses run continuously.
  • My husband and daughter did the tram to Mount Roberts right when it opened and got some beautiful pictures.   They spend about 1 1/2 hours up and back.
  • Juneau is a very quaint town and we were just shopping for some sweatshirts and jackets.  There were some fleece-lined jackets that were selling for less than $25 in the shops.  I had picked up a similar jacket in Ketchikan so I passed on the ones in Juneau.  Many folks on board took advantage of these "sales" and were wearing them for the rest of the cruise around the ship.
  • We booked the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion but found that it had been changed to the Endicott Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer due to the Joy's size (that's what the letter said).  We left at 1:00 which was shortly before the Joy left Juneau.  We traveled in a catamaran all the way to Dawes Glacier. On the way, we saw harbor seals, sea lions, and lots of humpback whales.  We had plenty of time for pictures and to take in the wonders of Alaska.  After we reached Dawes Glacier, we saw the Joy approaching and we tendered back up to her at about 7:00.   We were told by the crew on the excursion that they had never seen the Joy get that close to the glacier before! 
  • The itinerary stated that we would be sailing through Holkham Bay Glaciers Fjords.  That was the path we followed to get to Dawes Glacier so by the time we tendered up to the ship, we didn't see anymore glaciers that we hadn't already seen.    It's not a path filled with glaciers but there are some hanging glaciers on the mountains.  Very majestic.
  • Since we had a full day, we visited the buffet for dinner and after playing "The Big Pyramid" game show, we called it a night. 
  • I've attached a few pictures.  I just loved the green water near the falls in Endicott Arm.  The other two pictures were taken when we were on the excursion.  One was facing Dawes Glacier and the other was at the glacier but looking up to where we would eventually see the Joy approaching us.
  • Icy Strait Point will be our next stop in Alaska!

Falls.jpg

Dawes Glacier.jpg

Endicott Arm.jpg

We visited Icy Strait Point yesterday!  We were in port from about 7:00 to 5:00.

Here are the highlights:

• Our excursion, Whales and Wildlife, met at 7:15 so it was a very early day for us! Breakfast was in the Garden Café at 6:00.  After breakfast, we were in the elevator, and a lady asked what we were going to do in Skagway.  Apparently she saw that the map on the app was incorrect also!   I replied that I had already mentioned the error to a few crew members, but they didn't get it corrected. We were in Icy Strait Point as planned.
  • The catamaran was docked very close to the Joy and it was very similar to the one we were on yesterday.  We spotted humpback and orca whales and returned around 10:00.  The next part was a bus ride through Hoonah (very charming) and finally to the Spasski River.  We again had no rain so the walk was very comfortable (it was in the 70s so we didn't have to wear jackets) and peaceful.  I really wanted to see a bear but we weren't so lucky.  Maybe next time :).  Our tour guide, Brandon, through the Spasski River was from Tennessee!  He's just in Hoonah for the tourism season, and he mentioned how expensive it is to live in Hoonah...a gallon of orange juice is around $14, a gallon of milk is about $8, etc.  We certainly didn't see the $25 jackets like we saw in the other 2 ports!   We strolled along the shoreline as we made it back to the ship and appreciated the last time we would be in Alaska during this trip.  I have to admit, I was a bit hesitant about this port of call, but I was pleasantly surprised how charming it was!  I would definitely go back!
  • We spent the afternoon playing a little trivia and just relaxing.
  • Dinner was at Teppanyaki since it was my husband's birthday (oh, and there was a birthday cupcake left in the room sometime for him as well) and they sang a couple of times to him...once during the dinner and then afterwards when they  gave him a cake to share.  It really made him feel special...he's such a kid at heart!   The food was very good and plentiful but sorry, I just didn't like the noise level.  I've been to these kinds of restaurants before so I knew what to expect but the chefs were very energetic when they banged on the grill.  Even my 21 year old son didn't like the noise level! 
  • In the evening, we just played a little bingo and walked around
  • We're looking forward to a relaxing day at sea tomorrow! 

• There have been some requests to share some menus and other items, so I'll try to gather them on the sea day!
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 7:56 AM, htnut said:

About the bed being a normal Queen size, I presume you got a CB (Penthouse suite). Isn’t it true that the extra bed is also not a Murphy bed but a sofa bed?

Do you mind sharing your room number?

Yes, we have  a category CB penthouse suite on deck 14.  

I've attached a picture of the sofa bed.  It isn't really a murphy bed. It's a sofa bed and the cushions just pull out and are placed on the floor.  My husband and I chose the sofa bed and to be honest, we have slept well. It might be that we are just exhausted but we have been comfortable sleeping on it!

20190710_190637.jpg

Thank you so much for the photo of the sofabed pulled out.  I've been searching for ages and have never seen anyone post a photo of it in "bed" mode!

A couple of further questions:

* Do they make it up for you each day?  I imagine we will want to use it as a soft during the day, and have it converted at night.

* Is that a mattress topper that goes over it, so you can't feel the "seam" between the cushions on the floor and the cushions that are part of the sofa?

Thanks again!  Enjoy your vacation!

1 hour ago, htnut said:

Thank you so much for the photo of the sofabed pulled out.  I've been searching for ages and have never seen anyone post a photo of it in "bed" mode!

A couple of further questions:

* Do they make it up for you each day?  I imagine we will want to use it as a soft during the day, and have it converted at night.

* Is that a mattress topper that goes over it, so you can't feel the "seam" between the cushions on the floor and the cushions that are part of the sofa?

Thanks again!  Enjoy your vacation!

Our room steward asked our preference  to either have it out as a bed for the whole time or have it converted to a bed during turndown service. It would be up to you!

I think it's just one big folding cushion. There is no topper placed on it...just a flat sheet fitted around it.  The seams are horizontal...one at the arm of the sofa and the other about 8 inches from the foot of the cushion.

I hope that helps!