What to wear!

cruiseliz44

Going on Anthem of the Seas 9 say cruise to New England/Canada on October 10th.  Very excited!  

Have only taken warm weather cruises before.   What do you pack?

Also, is will the hot tubs still be open?   Do people go in them at that time of year?

In October a lot of your cruise is going to be in the 40-50s F with it being potentially much colder at night. Pack lots of layers that you can take off and on depending on time of day. Even on cold weather trips I find that most ships tend to stay a bit cool inside as well. 

I don't have much experience with RCCL, but most cruise lines will have a couple hot tubs up and running even if its chilly but deck services like pool bar etc will be limited, if anything. Indoor pools are where you'll find most people. 

• Like 1

Anthem has both indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs open. The solarium is a great place to go at night. You can also watch the outdoor movies from the outside pools. Best clothing advise is to be prepared for anything weather wise. Dress in layers.

• Like 1

If you bring a waterproof/windproof outer shell, a heavier zip up fleece (such as a North Face) and a lighter weight zip up fleece you will be set for anything.  Wearing all 3 layers at once is the equivalent of a winter coat!   We travel very light (carry-on and personal item only) for trips lasting a month or more all over the world and husband and I have both used this "system" successfully for many years.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 6:25 PM, arl_nocaps said:

anyone have an idea of what the weather might be like in early september.  what to wear ??

going nyc to montreal --

Being from Florida you will be used to hot weather, but layers are the best.  It can be anywhere from 50-80 in Montreal at that time, so be prepared for anything.  Unless you are out at night you probably won't see 40 but 60 is very likely.

The north Atlantic is cold... you'll want a jacket if you plan to be out on deck at  night. NE/CA fall weather is very variable. You might hit what we call Indian Summer and it will be HOT. Or, we could have a cold spell and you'll be looking for mittens and a hat. Bring options. Definitely a windbreaker/raincoat, a fleece of some type, long pants and something other than sandals. Mornings are often cool and foggy while the afternoons are hot and sunny. 

I also have to say be prepared for warm weather. It could be cold on sea. It could be very warm in the ports of Quebec City and Montreal, like 80 degrees warm. One of the hottest tour days I spent was a few years ago in Quebec. You have to be prepared for anything. Geographically, your cruise is covering a huge weather area. Hope this helps (yep, I'm a Canuck!)

Definitely layers.  As MeCruzr and Lisa point out, the weather is very variable that time of year.  We have a house full of clothing and sometimes can't figure it out ourselves when heading out in the morning.

Since OP is on a 9-day cruise, should place a few chips on services such as Weather Channel and the like just prior to the sailing.  It might take a bit of guessing away.