Cruise Critic Community
Truluv

Naples Excursion Question

Does anyone have suggestions for a "must see" thing to do in Naples, OTHER than Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast?  I am taking my #1 bucket-list retirement trip (60s/widow-very limited international travel experience) in October, thanks to surprise plane tickets from a great son.  He also managed to get vacation time to travel with me!   We'll be in Rome for several days before the cruise.  My son booked an excursion from Rome to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast on one of our Rome days, so now I need to find an alternative in Naples.  RCL offers a 3-1/2 hr tour to Herculaneam, an 8-1/2 hr beer tasting/tour of Sorrento, a 2-hr winery tour, Capris (8-1/2 hrs on-your-own) and a 9 hr day trip to Ishea for a thermal bath resort-day.   There are also walking tours, etc. for physically fit people but I have some activity limits due to a bad ankle.  I'm open to tours offered by others, and son says he has no preferences here.  Other than Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast, what would be your must-see or best experience when in Naples for the 1st....and probably last....time?  Capris? Herculaneam? Something else? 

It's a shame to waste a day in Rome driving all the way down the coast when you're going to be there a few days later anyway.  Can he get out of the booking?  It will be hours and hours on a bus.

Capri is probably the next most common destination, along with Pompei, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast.

There are many things to see in the city of Naples. My favorite is the National Archaeology Museum (you will see many items here that were recovered from Pompeii & Herculaneum).

Castel Nuovo is located right across from where the cruise ships dock.

Piazza del Plebiscito (Naples main square) is located just a short jaunt from where your ship docks (assuming you are docking at Molo Beverello)

Sansevero Chapel is beautiful if you are interested in visiting any of the churches in Naples.

Herculaneum is very interesting - we have always reached it via Circumvesuviana commuter train so don't know about guided tours from port.

Capri is easily done on your own - you can purchase your hydrofoil tickets from the kiosk located on the pier upon arrival in Naples. 

hydrofoil/ferry schedules here: https://www.naplesbayferry.com/en/t/napoli/capri

Useful info: https://www.rometoolkit.com/naples_visit/naples_port.html

Edited by dogs4fun

I have to agree with euro cruiser on this one.  While Naples offers a big variety of things to do, there are even more iconic sights in and around Rome. Why would you spend a day going from Rome to Naples and short yourself a day in Rome when you'll be in Naples courtesy of your cruise?

Can't cancel the luxury arrangements from Rome that son made for the Pompeii excursion -- and it's one of his retirement gifts to me.  The National Archeology Museum seems interesting.  I'll also read up on Herculaneum since it might be possible to do both.  I go back & forth on Capri.  Some people say it's beautiful, and others complain it's an expensive tourist trap. 

I was excited about the Blue Lagoon (movie of same name?) but I've looked up some photos that don't look that exciting..  Found this site when doing my research - it's a great report of a visit to the Blue Lagoon, including pictures, the time spent and costs    https://www.earthtrekkers.com/is-the-blue-grotto-worth-seeing/

Edited by Truluv
Added info about Blue Lagoon

In October Capri will still have plenty happening but it won't be the wall-to-wall crush it is during the summer.  It's a great place for walking if that interests you and the chair lift up to Monte Solaro is lovely.  I went up by myself a few years ago in mid-October and spent nearly an hour up there almost entirely alone.

Naples itself has so much to see and do in addition to the Archaeology museum.  There are several other wonderful museums with unique collections, like the Certosa di San Martino up on the hill overlooking the port, or the famous Veiled Christ sculpture at the Cappella Sansevero.

Edited by euro cruiser

4 hours ago, Truluv said:

I have some activity limits due to a bad ankle.  

Take care in Pompeii - the walking surfaces are uneven and very slippery when wet. Wear comfortable walking shoes with good support and, if possible, use a cane or walking stick.

This thread reminded me of my all time favorite quote, courtesy of our Pompeii tour guide: "The mother of stupidity is always pregnant."  I don't remember where we were on the tour, the tour company, or the reference, I just remember the quote.

I thought Pompeii was totally awesome, but lots of walking on uneven streets, it is huge. We also ready liked Capri , must stop for pizza , that would be my number one priority. 

Dogs4fun & George - Thanks for the great tips!   I was planning on bringing a folding cane, using an ankle support strap, wearing the right shoes, and will have meds for it (also have travel-health insurance, and son who is traveling with me is a young medical professional).  I'm worried about all of the walking, steps, hills, uneven surfaces, etc. on this trip.  If the ankle doesn't hold up, at least I'll be sitting on a ship under a Mediterranean sun LOL.  i've dreamed about this trip for 40 years.  Life got in the way, like it does for most people's bucket lists.   If that son hadn't surprised me with plane tickets as a retirement gift and offered to go with me, I'd probably be happily shopping for my next Greek Island 2021 calendar now, instead of planning excursions :classic_biggrin:.

Edited by Truluv
corrected typo

47 minutes ago, Truluv said:

Dogs4fun & George - Thanks for the great tips!   I was planning on bringing a folding cane, using an ankle support strap, wearing the right shoes, and will have meds for it (also have travel-health insurance, and son who is traveling with me is a young medical professional).  I'm worried about all of the walking, steps, hills, uneven surfaces, etc. on this trip.  If the ankle doesn't hold up, at least I'll be sitting on a ship under a Mediterranean sun LOL.  i've dreamed about this trip for 40 years.  Life got in the way, like it does for most people's bucket lists.   If that son hadn't surprised me with plane tickets as a retirement gift and offered to go with me, I'd probably be happily shopping for my next Greek Island 2021 calendar now, instead of planning excursions :classic_biggrin:.

What a wonderful gift - your son is a gem! Go and enjoy - the Med is wonderful. You need not see everything on your "bucket list" as seeing everything on a single visit to the Med is simply impossible (especially Italy & Greece). Allow yourself some breathing room between excursions (sometimes less is more) and I'll wager you'll do just fine. Hope you have a marvelous time!

Have a great trip, for pizza we highly recommend Brandi which is a mile or so from dock , amazing food and history and a couple blocks from galleria. 

When our cruise stopped in Salerno last month, we booked a gastronomic tour through Joe Banana Tours that took us to an olive oil farm (with tastings of at least 20 types of olive oil), a limoncello factory (with tastings of 3 kinds), and a restaurant where we prepared our own pizzas with our choice of fresh toppings. We also stopped at Pompeii, but Joe Banana has a similar tour from Naples that goes to a mozzerella farm instead. There was very little walking, except during a 1/2 hour free-time stop in Sorrento (and of course at Pompeii). We had great views of the area while being driven from place to place.

Thanks Cool Cruiser!  Son is a foodie so I bet this will interest him a lot.  I'm forwarding your suggestion to him right now. (He only dates girls who are good cooks...says it's from growing up with my crock pot recipe for hot-dogs & a can of apple pie filling LOL).  

Capri would be my top pick, but it is pretty hilly. You can easily stay within a small area and have a wonderful time, but to explore more, you may need a taxi with an injured ankle. Alternatively, Sorrento is beautiful and offers delectable cuisine!

We have been to Naples a few times - 

Last time we took the ferry over to the island of Procida (some scenes from The Talented Mr. Ripley were filmed there) - once we were there, a taxi driver offered a tour around the island (it is fairly steep and hilly to get up to some sections) - beautiful coastal scene just like a postcard! (We had been to Capri on a previous trip).

Also, a day trip by train to Paestum, to see Greek temples and small museum with artifacts/frescoes from the site.

The Royal Palace of Caserta (fashioned after Versailles) was amazing, and not very many people (could be the day we were there).

Recommend taking the bus to the catacombs of San Gennaro and San Gaudisio - they were very different from each other, and the guides did a tremendous job.

What great ideas!  Thank you to everyone.  We're discussing all of them and looking the Rick Steves travel books now (kid is lobbying for the food tours LOL).