Carnival at Port Everglades Summer 2020

bumbleklutz

I just noticed that Carnival is not listing any cruises from Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) from May to September of 2020.  Any idea of what's going on?  I hope Carnival isn't planning on pulling out/lessening their presence at Port Everglades as it is one of my preferred ports to sail from. 

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

Dredging and widening.  Could take years.

No new cruise terminals?  Miami seems to be able to keep adding to their port.  I realize that Port Everglades is somewhat land-locked for any more such additions.  And, I wonder if those who own property on the East side of the Turning Basin may find themselves offered a substantial sum of money to sell so that cruise terminals could be built in those areas in the future.  

22 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

No new cruise terminals?  Miami seems to be able to keep adding to their port.  I realize that Port Everglades is somewhat land-locked for any more such additions.  And, I wonder if those who own property on the East side of the Turning Basin may find themselves offered a substantial sum of money to sell so that cruise terminals could be built in those areas in the future.  

Nobody is putting a dock on the east side of the turning basin.  Wouldn't even make sense.  There is already several empty slips. I don't think there is demand for more at Port Everglades. The expansion is for cargo, not for cruises. I believe PE has 9 cruise terminals as it is. 

PortMiami already did their project, and it was a bit of an environmental disaster. But what's done is done. 

Even in 2020, limited ships during the summer in Miami. I think for Royal it's just Indy and Symphony.  Down to a single Oasis class for the summer season for all of South Florida.  No need for even more cruise terminals when they aren't even using what is there. 

Edited by BNBR

Thanks for your reply.  Yet, more and more ships are in the pipeline.  Where are they going to homeport?  Mardi Gras is headed for Port Canaveral.  

It seems to me for the cruise terminals that now are available are going to have to be used on a different calendar schedule than Saturday-Saturday or Sunday-Sunday or whatever.  Do agree that there is an inefficient use of the cruise terminals in Port Everglades for the purpose for which they were built.  What to do from both the port administration's and the cruise lines' perspectives?  

2 hours ago, BNBR said:

Nobody is putting a dock on the east side of the turning basin.  Wouldn't even make sense.  There is already several empty slips. I don't think there is demand for more at Port Everglades. The expansion is for cargo, not for cruises. I believe PE has 9 cruise terminals as it is. 

PortMiami already did their project, and it was a bit of an environmental disaster. But what's done is done. 

Even in 2020, limited ships during the summer in Miami. I think for Royal it's just Indy and Symphony.  Down to a single Oasis class for the summer season for all of South Florida.  No need for even more cruise terminals when they aren't even using what is there. 

Really? There were three ships in Miami on June 1 this year...two Carnival, one NCL.

22 minutes ago, iceleven said:

Are you saying no ships will be going out of Port Everglades during that time?

Just Google it. The port has a page with all of the info, Corp of engineers info, and you can find news stories about it as well. I have no idea if they will or won't accommodate cruise ships or how that is all planned. But we know that there aren't any sailings next summer from any line that I'm aware of out of PE. 

1 hour ago, Plant said:

Umm, I see Princess cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale in June of next year.

Could very well depend on the terminal. Who knows. 

I did speak with a friend who is a Royal VP and they said there is some untimely drydocks going on as well. 

Edited by BNBR

2 hours ago, Plant said:

Umm, I see Princess cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale in June of next year.

July too but Princess frequently doesn't sail out of Port Everglades throughout the entire summer (they aren't sailing out of Port Everglades this August either).

Here's what the official website (http://www.porteverglades.net/construction/harbor-improvements/) is saying with no specifics regarding timing or impact on ship schedules:

harbor deepening and widening

Ships are getting bigger, so they can carry more cargo in less time. This is critical in Florida, where so many more people (i.e. consumers) are now living that we surpassed New York to become the third highest populated state in the United States. And, let's not forget Florida's nearly 113 million annual tourists and seasonal visitors who also purchase food, clothing and other goods shipped via ocean.

To meet these demands, Port Everglades needs deeper and wider channels so today's modern ship fleet can arrive here safely.

The Port Everglades Navigation Improvements Project is currently in the preconstruction engineering and design phase after receiving a signed Chief of Engineers Report from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on June 26, 2015 and U.S. Congressional authorization in the passing of the Water Infrastructure Improvements of the Nation (WIIN) Act in December 2016.

Timing for this project is essential as older fleets are being replaced with much larger ships and Port Everglades already handles large ships from Europe and South America that must be lightly loaded because of current safety constraints.

The goals are to deepen the main navigational channels from 42 feet to 48 feet (plus 1-foot required and another 1-foot allowable overdepth for a total of 50 feet), and to deepen and widen the Entrance Channel and parts of the Intracoastal Waterway so that cargo ships can pass safely by docked cruise ships.

Construction is anticipated to be completed by 2021-2025*, and is expected to create an estimated 4,700 total construction jobs and nearly 1,500 permanent direct jobs locally from the additional cargo capacity.

The estimated cost is $389 million (as of October 2016), which will be paid with Port Everglades revenue generated through port user fees, federal appropriations and state grants. No local property taxes will be used for this project because Port Everglades is a self-funded enterprise of Broward County.

* Assumes one contract for USCG Station reconfiguration and one contract for deepening and widening.

Related Links:
Fact Sheet
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Port Everglades Harbor Project
Port Everglades Benthic Survey Data Viewer