Formal nights

silversurf1

We are booked for 7 nights on Spirit of Discovery in September and can find no information on dress codes. Do Saga have formal nights?

We have really enjoyed them on other cruise lines and are hoping for at least two on our forthcoming cruise.

There are one or two formal nights in a week long cruise according to the FAQ. Saga’s lack of detail prior to booking, or post booking and prior to final documents, is frustrating but you will know how many formal nights there are long enough before you sail for you to organise your smart clothes.

If you dig into the FAQ you'll find what Saga expect in terms of dress code, but the actual number of formal nights will remain a mystery until you receive your final documents. 

Edited by kentchris

I am surprised you have not yet received a little booklet about life aboard - you should soon.  It includes a what to wear section, and on a 7 night cruise you are likely to have 2 formal nights.  Unlike most lines nowadays, Saga does like men to wear a DJ or suit, and most do so, with just a few perhaps in a blazer or other jacket.  Most women do not wear long full evening dresses, more often a long skirt or black trousers and evening top, or a cocktail type dress.

• Like 1

It has just struck me that there are possibilities of change - Discovery is obviously going to appeal to a younger set (50+) more, so Saga could make evening dress codes more like the luxury lines, like Seabourn and Regent,  and more relaxed OR, as the ship is more 'glamorous' than the old ones, more people might be inclined to dress up to the nines!  Time will tell.

She certainly looks lovely, and is off today on her maiden voyage.  I am sure you will love her if she is like a luxury version of the old ships, with the same caring and efficient crew and staff.

It is the prospect of Formal Nights again that nearly stopped me wanting to try Saga. We have taken over 40 cruises. In the early days we enjoyed doing the whole dress up thing but feel that cruising has moved on.

Recently we have cruised mostly on Azamara where smart casual is the order for each evening and I’ve never seen anyone abuse that. In fact quite a few men choose a jacket on some nights but it’s very much optional. 

The saving grace is that we’re picked up from home of course, so luggage is no problem. As ours is just 7 nights, the packing will be easy. However, DH will still moan about packing a pair of black shoes to wear with a dark suit, just to wear them twice for about 3 or 4 hours. 😏

Corinne

Hi Corinne,

Just what we were thinking.  The dress code on Azamara and Viking suits us well.  DH really not keen on taking a DJ or even a suit.  Hoping to wear a jacket and tie instead.  I used to take the whole evening dress thing, but will certainly not do that for this cruise.  I will of course dress up for the formal nights but only in similar clothes than I would wear, going to the specialities for example, on Azamara or Viking.

We embark on Scenic next week and no formal wear is required.  However I guarantee that the standard of dress will be good in the evening.

Hoping that on this new ship Saga relax their requirements a little to be in line with many other premium lines.

Pam

Mrs. M - I am sure your DH will 'get away' with just a jacket and tie, though he will be in a bit of a minority.  My DH brings his dj, as he does not have a good suit, but I too hope that Saga will do away with the formal requirement on the new ships - though hope they also do ask for at least jacket and tie, so the ladies can dress up a bit too.  The formal evenings are the ones where the Captain holds his 'cocktail party', and the menu is usually a bit special.

On all other evenings many  men do not wear a jacket,  just a nice shirt with maybe a pullover, and the Maitre'ds are pretty accommodating and non-judgmental. (Oh, and trousers, of course!).  

Saga still has photographers,  though not at all in your face, and on Sapphire and Pearl a lot of people (not us) liked to have a formal portrait taken in their finery.  I think this is likely to die down on the new ships in time.

From our experience on Sapphire, whilst many men wore DJs, a jacket and tie certainly sufficed.

For the ladies almost anything goes in terms of dresses, trousers, skirts and tops. seems a little unfair to the gents.

When I started cruising I enjoyed the formal nights but after nearly 70 cruises, whilst I still dress nicely (IMHO 😉) I now prefer the 'country club casual' approach.

We're off on Queen Victoria in a few weeks and I will have to dig out my formal dresses. Fortunately cruising from the UK luggage isn't the same problem as when flying.

There may well be only 1 formal night on the 7 night cruises.

Edited by Glenndale

On 7/9/2019 at 9:49 PM, silversurf1 said:

We are booked for 7 nights on Spirit of Discovery in September and can find no information on dress codes. Do Saga have formal nights?

We have really enjoyed them on other cruise lines and are hoping for at least two on our forthcoming cruise.

We are also on Spirit of Discovery in September - just the 4 night cruise - and although we have had the excellent little booklet, we couldn't determine if there was a formal night.  I emailed Saga and they confirmed that, even on this mini cruise, we will have a formal night.  Not a problem for us, but it is good to know.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that of the four cruise lines we have sailed with, Saga have been the most formal on their formal nights. Not a bad thing though, and my husband really enjoys it, and I get a chance to dress up for once, although as others have said, it doesn’t have to be long dresses.

On 7/10/2019 at 7:00 PM, lincslady said:

Mrs. M - I am sure your DH will 'get away' with just a jacket and tie, though he will be in a bit of a minority.  My DH brings his dj, as he does not have a good suit, but I too hope that Saga will do away with the formal requirement on the new ships - though hope they also do ask for at least jacket and tie, so the ladies can dress up a bit too.  The formal evenings are the ones where the Captain holds his 'cocktail party', and the menu is usually a bit special.

On all other evenings many  men do not wear a jacket,  just a nice shirt with maybe a pullover, and the Maitre'ds are pretty accommodating and non-judgmental. (Oh, and trousers, of course!).  

Saga still has photographers,  though not at all in your face, and on Sapphire and Pearl a lot of people (not us) liked to have a formal portrait taken in their finery.  I think this is likely to die down on the new ships in time.

They should go down the American informal route,than those who have experienced formal nights will be happy those who haven’t tough luck.

On 7/24/2019 at 6:09 PM, IbizaLover said:

I would say that of the four cruise lines we have sailed with, Saga have been the most formal on their formal nights. Not a bad thing though, and my husband really enjoys it, and I get a chance to dress up for once, although as others have said, it doesn’t have to be long dresses.

So pleased to hear that Saga does do formal nights.   I like Cunard because of this also.  If people don't like it there are plenty of other cruise lines to choose from.  I am doing my first Saga cruise in April and really looking forward to it.

3 hours ago, DreamflightPat said:

So pleased to hear that Saga does do formal nights.   I like Cunard because of this also.  If people don't like it there are plenty of other cruise lines to choose from.  I am doing my first Saga cruise in April and really looking forward to it.

Most of the time it is those who have already done it got board with it and wish for it be changed they are  the ones who kick up the most fuss,we really enjoy it but not the endless shopping trying to find that perfect dress.

• 4 years later...

Yes, smart casual is always fine in the Grill, even on formal nights. You won’t miss out on the formal night menu either, as it’s the same in the Grill as the main dining room. Waiter served, too. 

Apart from the speciality restaurants and the main dining room, smart casual dress is now fine everywhere else on the ship on formal nights.

1 hour ago, Kohima said:

Yes, smart casual is always fine in the Grill, even on formal nights. You won’t miss out on the formal night menu either, as it’s the same in the Grill as the main dining room. Waiter served, too. 

Apart from the speciality restaurants and the main dining room, smart casual dress is now fine everywhere else on the ship on formal nights.

except in the theatre, which for some strange (to me) reason has recently been added to the formal dress only zone. Saga sometimes moves in mysterious ways!

Formal attire applies in the theatre on formal nights, so he may want to pack a jacket and tie anyway just in case. Be a shame if there was a show that you really would like to see on a formal night but you couldn't get in (cabin TV is not quite the same for some shows).

Formal does not have to be the full DJ. And if he is a tie-hater, find somewhere that sells clip-on ties.

2 hours ago, Kohima said:

Nope you can't go to the treatre