Concierge on Wonder questions

surgie

I have 2 cabins on hold for a 4-night cruise over Thanksgiving 2020 on Wonder. I chose the "entry level" concierge cabins which are the same size as family verandah cabins from what I have read. 

I have read numerous blogs and opinions as to the "value" of concierge perks. I know only we can decide if it's "worth it" but before my 24-hour hold expires at midnight, I wanted to be sure I have the facts to make my decision.

This cruise does not go to Coco Cay so no help needed in securing a cabana. The only port is Cozumel and we will plan our own outing. We are not likely to eat at a specialty restaurant, preferring main dining with the kids.

Of course the included drinks are handy, but no way will 4 adults drink enough to offset the upcharge. And it concerns me that the concierge lounge is two decks up from deck 8 where all the concierge cabins are. How often are we likely to go up there just for a better cup of coffee?

The biggest plus I had read about was getting early access to make reservations for character meets (as well as character visits in the lounge). But if I am prompt can't I make my own character meet reservations online? Or maybe I misunderstood something. Is there a special breakfast with characters that the concierge staff could reserve for me that I can't do on my own if non-concierge? I know there is also some pampering...first in line to board and disembark. But we are looking at a $3000 difference for the two cabins between concierge and non-concierge so I might rather enjoy an additional vacation somewhere for that $3000!

I am really good at getting online exactly when needed to make dining and Fast Pass reservations at WDW so I' trying to wrap my mind around needing or having the luxury of someone doing this for me.

Help clarify if you can - thanks! The clock is ticking LOL!

4 minutes ago, surgie said:

I have 2 cabins on hold for a 4-night cruise over Thanksgiving 2020 on Wonder. I chose the "entry level" concierge cabins which are the same size as family verandah cabins from what I have read. 

I have read numerous blogs and opinions as to the "value" of concierge perks. I know only we can decide if it's "worth it" but before my 24-hour hold expires at midnight, I wanted to be sure I have the facts to make my decision.

This cruise does not go to Coco Cay (that would be Castaway Cay) so no help needed in securing a cabana. The only port is Cozumel and we will plan our own outing. We are not likely to eat at a specialty restaurant, preferring main dining with the kids.

Of course the included drinks are handy, but no way will 4 adults drink enough to offset the upcharge. And it concerns me that the concierge lounge is two decks up from deck 8 where all the concierge cabins are. How often are we likely to go up there just for a better cup of coffee?

The biggest plus I had read about was getting early access to make reservations for character meets (as well as character visits in the lounge). But if I am prompt can't I make my own character meet reservations online? Or maybe I misunderstood something. Is there a special breakfast with characters that the concierge staff could reserve for me that I can't do on my own if non-concierge? I know there is also some pampering...first in line to board and disembark. But we are looking at a $3000 difference for the two cabins between concierge and non-concierge so I might rather enjoy an additional vacation somewhere for that $3000! (I believe that Concierge does set up a special one-on-one character meet for Concierge.  But it's only one character, not all.  The Character Breakfast is available to all, but there are limited reservations.  Although, I've read that it's possible to get a reservation once onboard, if you were not able to do it beforehand.  There are also reservations for specific character meet & greets - Frozen, for example.  Again, these are available to anyone who can get them.)  

I am really good at getting online exactly when needed to make dining and Fast Pass reservations at WDW so I' trying to wrap my mind around needing or having the luxury of someone doing this for me.

Help clarify if you can - thanks! The clock is ticking LOL!

My responses in red.

• Like 1

Personal opinion--NO WAY would I pay for concierge given your situation.  
Um....NO DCL cruise goes to Coco Cay.  But you don't need a cabana on any island, so not biggie.
Character meet and greets and breakfast--I've never had problems getting breakfast tickets.  Book them on line when your window opens.  People have reported being able to get them after boarding, but don't depend on this. There are only a couple of meet and greets that require a ticket--again, book on line as soon as your window opens.  These, we have definitely been able to add after boarding, but I don't recommend waiting.  Adult dining can definitely be added on board if desired.

As you noted, you can buy a huge amount of whatever you want--coffee, alcohol, etc. for the cost of concierge.  Compared to other lines, the concierge/suite benefits of DCL are pretty minimal.  Yes, they do have a character event just for concierge--one character, 30 minutes.  That works out to a couple minutes per cabin with the character.  I don't think you'll miss out on anything by not getting concierge.  Look at a cat 5 and see if that will save you even more money for a small decrease in cabin space.  DCL cabins are much larger than some other lines!

• Like 1

Thank you - I am not regretting that I let the concierge cabins go before the deposit was due. Actually DCL let them go for me - the website was down and phone lines closed the night the deposit was due so I couldn't have completed my deposit even if I'd wanted to LOL.  It must have been a sign! 

I was able to find two family verandah cabins that connect midship so now no worries if the balcony divider can be opened or not. The connecting rooms will work better for our situation. And yes, I must have had RCCL on the brain when I said Coco Cay! 

On 7/10/2019 at 11:26 AM, cantgetin said:

Personal opinion--NO WAY would I pay for concierge given your situation.  
Um....NO DCL cruise goes to Coco Cay. 

21 hours ago, gometros said:

Not that it matters, but I can't believe DCL didn't extend the deadline considering the inability for somebody to make the deposit on time due to their own technical issues. 

My thoughts exactly. If it had mattered I would have pursued this with them. But sadly I'm pretty familiar with Disney technical issues:(