Beverage Prices

DLaForce

We are traveling on the Wind Surf on August 4th.  I am trying to decide if I should get the beverage package or pay a la carte.  I did a search and found menus / prices from 2010 but does anyone have anything more recent that would show the prices of beer and cocktails?

Also, my wife doesn't really drink but occassionally may share a fruit-based frozen drink.  How strict are they if only I purchase the package?

So actually I have one more question on this.  I was told now drinks are subject to an additional 22 - 24% VAT in addition to the cost of the drink plus 15% gratuity.  So that $9.50 glass of wine is actually $13.21 (9.50 + 1.43 + 2.28).  But if you get a drink package you are exempt from VAT.  Has anyone confirmed this is true?

1 hour ago, DLaForce said:

So actually I have one more question on this.  I was told now drinks are subject to an additional 22 - 24% VAT in addition to the cost of the drink plus 15% gratuity.  So that $9.50 glass of wine is actually $13.21 (9.50 + 1.43 + 2.28).  But if you get a drink package you are exempt from VAT.  Has anyone confirmed this is true?

You are exempt if you buy the drinks package before the trip. The same is true for anything else. VAT is not charged for things purchased through Seattle. Never mind that all the onboard charges are billed through Seattle as well, this is just the way the world works.

21 hours ago, milepig said:

You are exempt if you buy the drinks package before the trip. The same is true for anything else. VAT is not charged for things purchased through Seattle. Never mind that all the onboard charges are billed through Seattle as well, this is just the way the world works.

I do not know for sure. I did not hear any complaints of VAT being added to the bill in Tahiti which is under EU jurisdiction. Gratuity (service charge) is definitely added.

Milepig is a very reliable source.  I would trust it 100%

10 minutes ago, msears101 said:

I do not know for sure. I did not hear any complaints of VAT being added to the bill in Tahiti which is under EU jurisdiction. Gratuity (service charge) is definitely added.

Milepig is a very reliable source.  I would trust it 100%

Aaaaw, Gee.  Blush.

When we sailed in French Polynesia we bought the package before the trip, so I can't say about VAT.

We did buy some things in the ships shop, and I don't remember seeing VAT appear on the statement, but I can't say I looked for it either.

I'm now out of my depth, but this very useful charts shows the VAT status in various areas. It say the the French "territories" are outside the EU VAT zone. but is a "territory" the same as a "protectorate"?  My head hurts.

We certainly paid VAT on things purchased on shore in FP, but that could just as well have been a French Polynesia VAT and not EU VAT. It's possible that FP doesn't require cruise ships to collect it - again, I'm out of my depth.

All that having been said, French Polynesia is magical and everyone should go - pop for the 11 day trip, 7 isn't enough. Even better, do a back to back and do it twice? I don't care if I pay VAT, just go!

Edited by milepig

And, here's the answer from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_member_state_territories_and_the_European_Union

French Polynesia is a French Overseas Territory, not a French Overseas Department, and are not subject to EU VAT. Confusingly (to us, probably not to them, LOL) they are considered French Citizens and are part of the EU, vote the EU elections, etc. They have their own currency, but it's tied to the Euro. They also follow French Law but have their own court system.

French Polynesia has it's own VAT:

From here:

https://tahitinuitravel.com/destination/the-cost-of-living-in-french-polynesia/

The value added tax (VAT) in French Polynesia has 3 rates :

• The normal rate of 16% which applies in a general way to the operations of importation, sales and deliveries.
  • The normal rate of 10% which applies to all services except those subjected to the reduced tax.
  • The reduced rate of 5% which applies to certain products and services of which hotel establishments, cruise ships, professional charters, passenger transport.

So, it could be 5%, but as I said above I didn't notice it on my ship's shop receipt, but didn't really look either.

Edited by milepig

• 4 weeks later...

It really depends on your consumption habits.  We were on Star Breeze in January, and the drink package was $60/day per person - both people in a cabin had to get it, so that would be $120/day.  We did not get the package, and found that our a la carte drinks came to about $50/day for the TWO of us.  If we had gotten the drink package we would have thought, "Challenge Accepted!" and would have started imbibing at breakfast!  😄  So "know thyself" is key.

• Like 1

When we were on the Star Pride in Feb, we took the $52 (plus 15% grat) package as we drink mostly beer and wine.  We thought the quality of the wines not up to the quality of the previous packages and as a result I think we will just order bottles of wine on our cruise in February as you can get better quality at a reasonable price (and they will also keep your unfinished bottle at the bar until the next day).

Cheers

1 hour ago, O2B@Cagain said:

What is an "unfinished bottle"?? 🤣

LOL. Since we're sort of known as "the winos", people keep trying to give us cute wine bottle stoppers. We always chuckle that we have no need for such a tool.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/7/2019 at 6:14 AM, O2B@Cagain said:

What is an "unfinished bottle"?? 🤣

If you buy a bottle of wine at dinner, you do not have to finish it at that meal.  They wine staff will tag it for you and bring it back to you for dinner the next night, until it is gone.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got off the phone with my TA to book our first Windstar Cruise. So many questions, so now I'm reading my way through this forum. 

I'm used to all-inclusive lines so the 'drinks package cost'was worrisome to me. By following the drink prices link above, I've just discovered soft drinks are included. This is wonderful news to me. We don't drink alcohol but I was budgeting for a drinks plan for soft drinks, and now I don't. We're on a back-to-back so laundry is also included. So now I just have to figure out tipping. 

On 9/3/2019 at 2:21 PM, CanadianKate said:

By following the drink prices link above, I've just discovered soft drinks are included. This is wonderful news to me. We don't drink alcohol but I was budgeting for a drinks plan for soft drinks, and now I don't.

Canadian Kate, we share your joy of included soft drinks.  Since this is your first Windstar cruise, you may not know that the mini bar refrigerator in your cabin also comes stocked with unlimited soft drinks.

We always let our cabin attendant know that we only consume diet coke, and would like a few extra cans in there.  We also ask for some cut lime wedges.  Within a couple of hours we find 2-4 extra diet cokes and a ramekin  (well sealed in plastic wrap) full of cut limes.  It is often restocked during the entire cruise.

Side note: Most of the time the sodas at the bars on board are not kept cold (no fountain bar guns). We will often just grab a soda and a glass of ice in our cabin instead.  A warm soda poured over ice, usually seems too flat to me.

Enjoy your first cruise on Windstar.  I suspect you will be back for a second and third.

• Like 1