Poached eggs

silversurf1

I can't answer your question, but am also a big fan.

On numerous cruises on different ships, having poached eggs most days, I can honestly say I have not had one that is less than perfect.

It has become a bit of a game for us, surely they have to slip up soon...

A small thing I know, but an example of something P&O seem to get right.

Andy

Another P&O poached egg fan here. I think they cook them with a little bit of vinegar in the water which you can just taste. 

A lot of hotels now have these pre cooked and popped out of a pill shaped mould eggs which are horrible. Long may P&O serve the real thing.

9 minutes ago, john watson said:

They also do "Thick Toast" you have to ask for in specially.  It's about 15mm thick and not on the menu. Ideal for poached eggs in my opinion as the standard mounts are not good.

Regards John

I never knew that John.

Sounds like the bread they use for the delightful, artery clogging golden triangles.

Andy

Poached eggs are usually poached in water with the addition of white wine vinegar and are poached in advance and then plunged in iced water to stop the cooking process and then when ordered are dropped in boiling water to warm through.

• Like 1

You can also ask for square toast too - which is toast without the crust and it's usually well toasted .  I always have the poached egg too.  We had a funny incident when we were on the Aurora 65 night cruise round South America last year.  I think it was once we'd had a stop in Uruguay, might be wrong there, but all of a sudden the poached eggs at breakfast in the Main Dining Room were dreadful.  This went on for a few days and then a waiter explained it was the eggs that they'd taken on board and the chef just couldn't make them poach properly, he tried all sorts of ways apparently.  So for the future few days at breakfast people were asking - Is it still the dreadful eggs?  If so people weren't ordering poached eggs.    I think from what a waiter told us an abnormal amount of cakes and things were made just to get rid of the eggs.  After a while normal service was resumed.

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2019 at 2:39 PM, silversurf1 said:

How do P and O cook their poached eggs? On the last cruise ours were small but delicious and very fresh. I am convinced that they have a chicken coop in the bowels of the ship. The eggs benedict were particularly good.

We were told once when asking in the Buffet that they use vinegar in the water and do not add salt as this toughens them

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Poached eggs in all mass catering outlets are cooked in advance in bulk, and then reheated to order.

Which is why it is so surprising that they consistently get it right.

I struggle with a couple at home...

Andy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Poached eggs in all mass catering outlets are cooked in advance in bulk, and then reheated to order.

I knew that BB provided the pill shaped horrible ones but they all come with the same over cooked density.

If they are all pre cooked do they do soft, medium and hard ones?

I always get a perfect soft egg on the ships and it tastes fresh. They also tell you we have used xxx number of eggs this voyage but I suppose this could refer to pure cook.

Anyhow, I still enjoy them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 4:35 AM, john watson said:

They also do "Thick Toast" you have to ask for in specially.  It's about 15mm thick and not on the menu. Ideal for poached eggs in my opinion as the standard mounts are not good.

Regards John

Thanks I didn’t know that one and have never thought to ask.