A Bit of a Bummer

Stella1250

Around 4 weeks ago, I fell coming out of a store. I hit my right knee, and my head. I felt fine, and went about my business. However, my knee continued to hurt, so Monday I went to an orthopedic surgeon who told me I have a hairline fracture in my kneecap. Of course, we are leaving this Saturday for our Baltic cruise on QV. After flying to Hamburg and staying 3 days, we board the ship on Tuesday 7/16. I had a shot of cortisone for the pain and a brace for the kneecap. My doctor told me to go ahead and enjoy the trip. After 4 weeks, the break has already begun to heal, and there is no reason for me not to go.

I was just wondering if I can get away with limiting the amount of walking I do on the ship. Too much makes my leg stiff and painful. I don't want to get a wheelchair, because I don't really think I need one. We are in Queens Grill, on the back of the ship on Deck 5. I have some painkillers just in case. I guess if I didn't have bad luck, I would have no luck! LOL

Just bear in mind with a dodgy knee, it's a bit of a hike, aft to stairwell B, for deck 11 and 12 access. Plus, you're going on a cruise where the sightseeing is amazing but tiring.

Pursers' office has a few wheelchairs for just in case purposes. Would do you no harm to investigate purloining one if you find you need one. Other than that, hire one landside, for a just in case purpose. They're not expensive and would give you peace pf mind, and a method of getting around if the knee starts complaining.

Take a wheelchair or, short of that, some sort of supportive walking stick. Even if you don’t think you need one, you will be happy to have it in the event you DO need it.  Better to coddle your knee than to stress it to a point that healing is delayed. 

Edited to add: A wheelchair will also be great for embarking and disembarking. 

Edited by Tonopah
  • Like 1

Thanks! I have already resolved to be in some pain, but will not allow that to dampen my good time. I will just take it a little easy and relax a bit more. I may have to dance in sneakers, but that will be fun as well!

5 minutes ago, Stella1250 said:

Thanks! I have already resolved to be in some pain, but will not allow that to dampen my good time. I will just take it a little easy and relax a bit more. I may have to dance in sneakers, but that will be fun as well!

If you are going to dance, please do your knee a favor and bring along a pair of proper dance shoes with suede soles.   Shoes with rubber soles are an invitation for knee problems on a ballroom dance floor.  ( I am a dancer and speak from a history of knee problems.)

Have you tried walking with a cane at all? If you are having any mobility issues, many times a cane can take some weight off of the injured limb. You may not need it every day, but just break it out if you’re feeling a bit sore. They make very good folding canes that you can buy on Amazon or at a medical supply store. Just make sure that you get some information on how to use a cane properly. You would be surprised how many people use their canes incorrectly! Have a wonderful voyage!

5 hours ago, Stella1250 said:

Around 4 weeks ago, I fell coming out of a store. I hit my right knee, and my head. I felt fine, and went about my business. However, my knee continued to hurt, so Monday I went to an orthopedic surgeon who told me I have a hairline fracture in my kneecap. Of course, we are leaving this Saturday for our Baltic cruise on QV. After flying to Hamburg and staying 3 days, we board the ship on Tuesday 7/16. I had a shot of cortisone for the pain and a brace for the kneecap. My doctor told me to go ahead and enjoy the trip. After 4 weeks, the break has already begun to heal, and there is no reason for me not to go.

I was just wondering if I can get away with limiting the amount of walking I do on the ship. Too much makes my leg stiff and painful. I don't want to get a wheelchair, because I don't really think I need one. We are in Queens Grill, on the back of the ship on Deck 5. I have some painkillers just in case. I guess if I didn't have bad luck, I would have no luck! LOL

May I suggest you check your insurance.

11 hours ago, laktex said:

May I suggest you check your insurance.

Why should she check her insurance she is not considering cancelling and her doctor has given her the go ahead to cruise so no need of insurance.

16 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Why should she check her insurance she is not considering cancelling and her doctor has given her the go ahead to cruise so no need of insurance.

Well majortom10 - here is some advice (see below) regarding travel insurance. Personally,  I would want to check my insurance but I guess you wouldn't.

3. I have a medical condition which is under control, do I need to tell insurers?

The short answer is yes, you do.

Insurers need to know your medical history and any conditions you’ve suffered from previously, or they could reject any claim you make, potentially leaving you with a big bill if you fall ill.

A pre-existing condition usually means any medical condition for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment has been either received or recommended.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, laktex said:

Sorry, double post.

Well majortom10 - here is some advice (see below) regarding travel insurance. Personally,  I would want to check my insurance but I guess you wouldn't.

3. I have a medical condition which is under control, do I need to tell insurers?

The short answer is yes, you do.

Insurers need to know your medical history and any conditions you’ve suffered from previously, or they could reject any claim you make, potentially leaving you with a big bill if you fall ill.

A pre-existing condition usually means any medical condition for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment has been either received or recommended.

Edited by AnnieC

Actually, the policy I have covers pre-existing conditions as long as I purchased it within 7 days of the deposit for the trip, which I did. I do not have to notify them about anything unless I am going to activate the policy. Because I followed the purchasing rules, I would be covered whether they know or not.

31 minutes ago, Stella1250 said:

Actually, the policy I have covers pre-existing conditions as long as I purchased it within 7 days of the deposit for the trip, which I did. I do not have to notify them about anything unless I am going to activate the policy. Because I followed the purchasing rules, I would be covered whether they know or not.

You have lost me there. Did you fall after you purchased the policy? Surely the policy is active from the date you purchased it? Maybe it is different in the USA.   It's your call and decision what you do.

4 minutes ago, laktex said:

You have lost me there. Did you fall after you purchased the policy? Surely the policy is active from the date you purchased it? Maybe it is different in the USA.   It's your call and decision what you do.

Exactly maybe different conditions compared to UK policies.

Yes, I fell after I purchased the policy. This injury would fall within the policy guidelines, as I just checked the policy. It really is not pre-existing, because it did not exist before I bought the policy. It doesn't matter, however, as I am feeling much better after the cortisone shot. My knee is almost normal again, and I am looking forward to having a great time!

• Like 1

In the UK you must inform the insurance co of any conditions that occur AFTER the policy was bought also.

I think you are unwise to dismiss people's advice as "I don't need that" as from personal experience you never know how you may feel onboard. Cruising can be exausting. Rent a wheelchair and hope you don't need it see Mobility at Sea.