Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Longboysfan

Additional Non-Monetary tips.

Recommended Posts

Just thinking:

 

What additional non monetary tips could you give to your waiter, busboy, room steward.

 

I bring a bag of bite size candy.  The 80 or 150 in a bag ones.  Some sweet treat for them.

I've also given away to the crew our game of Rummy Cube.  They were watching and liked it.

 

I've also brought the big bars of Starburst to the cruise staff.

 

I did give the cruise director and all the staff on the ship a big bag on M&M's.  One for everyone.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They have very little space so I would only give them cash, particularly since you don't know what sort of dietary restrictions they may have. 

 

Pretty sure you've participated in this exact discussion before.  Is there a reason why you're asking again?

Edited by bEwAbG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree, this discussion has been seen ad nauseum. " non monetary tips" - there's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one.

 

The whole idea reeks of a patronizing attitude, IMO. The crew are not starving, have ample opportunity to purchase candy or any other kind of snacks they want,  and have no interest in key chains, post cards, or other tacky souvenirs from your home state. Nor do they want the hand painted rocks that you or your kids made just for them.

 

If you want to give them something of value besides $$/ €€/ ££/ ¥¥, then fill out a compliment card at Guest Relations. That can have an impact on their reviews and chances for advancement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll weigh in here with a different perspective: over the past few cruises, we have always brought a particular kind of chocolate candy that’s a specialty of our home country Austria. We used it as a carrier for an additional monetary tip, but we’ve realized that the chocolates themselves were a great hit especially with staff members from Eastern European countries. It’s a treat they know from home, that just can’t be easily bought on any other Caribbean island. 

We‘ve had a group of Serbian staff members meet at our table in the dining room since they had heard we were the ones with the Austrian chocolates. We had a waitress from Bosnia literally jump with delight when we gave her another box at the end of the cruise. (She said it reminded her of Sunday tea time at her grandmothers house.) 

 

Sometimes the taste of home can be worth more than an additional 5 bucks. Anyone who has lived far away from home for an extended period of time understands that. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Anarinya said:

I’ll weigh in here with a different perspective: over the past few cruises, we have always brought a particular kind of chocolate candy that’s a specialty of our home country Austria. We used it as a carrier for an additional monetary tip, but we’ve realized that the chocolates themselves were a great hit especially with staff members from Eastern European countries. It’s a treat they know from home, that just can’t be easily bought on any other Caribbean island. 

We‘ve had a group of Serbian staff members meet at our table in the dining room since they had heard we were the ones with the Austrian chocolates. We had a waitress from Bosnia literally jump with delight when we gave her another box at the end of the cruise. (She said it reminded her of Sunday tea time at her grandmothers house.) 

 

Sometimes the taste of home can be worth more than an additional 5 bucks. Anyone who has lived far away from home for an extended period of time understands that. 

 

 

 

As long as the gift does not affect the monetary amount given and it make sense (like this story), I do feel it would be nice. But, I would not just give candy for the sake of giving candy.

 

As for treats from home... I was in Vancouver last weekend (I'm from Quebec but live in US Midwest now), and I bough bunch of candy and stuff that is only available in Canada... And went to eat in a Montreal Smoke meat restaurant and had a smoke meat sandwich and a Quebec Poutine... Was an awesome trip to memory lane. So yeah, sometimes, getting something from home can mean the world. 

Edited by angelhelly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Longboysfan said:

Just thinking:

 

What additional non monetary tips could you give to your waiter, busboy, room steward.

 

I bring a bag of bite size candy.  The 80 or 150 in a bag ones.  Some sweet treat for them.

I've also given away to the crew our game of Rummy Cube.  They were watching and liked it.

 

I've also brought the big bars of Starburst to the cruise staff.

 

I did give the cruise director and all the staff on the ship a big bag on M&M's.  One for everyone.  :)

This has to be joke!! Additional cash tips rewards the hard working waiter, busboy and room steward who send the majority of the tips to families all over the world to live on. Once the money gets there, let the family decide if they want to use the money for candy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

This has to be joke!! Additional cash tips rewards the hard working waiter, busboy and room steward who send the majority of the tips to families all over the world to live on. Once the money gets there, let the family decide if they want to use the money for candy!

 

Well if you read the original....

 

Additional non monetary... 

 

As your short sighted and not reading the post indicates.

 

If you understand the ship and watch the crew.  Guess not.

They have to pay full price for things on shore - if they want them - Candy is one of them.

I've seen them bring in 12 packs of soda also.

 

Anything they buy on ship - candy, drinks and other things come out of their account.  Full price no discount.

 

Most people do give extra cash tips.  Just thinking outside the box.  You're in a closed cubby hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this is a good topic for cruisers who may like to give something.

 

I've done this multiple times and it never fails to bring a smile to their faces when they get something like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mom says said:

Agree, this discussion has been seen ad nauseum. " non monetary tips" - there's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one.

 

The whole idea reeks of a patronizing attitude, IMO. The crew are not starving, have ample opportunity to purchase candy or any other kind of snacks they want,  and have no interest in key chains, post cards, or other tacky souvenirs from your home state. Nor do they want the hand painted rocks that you or your kids made just for them.

 

If you want to give them something of value besides $$/ €€/ ££/ ¥¥, then fill out a compliment card at Guest Relations. That can have an impact on their reviews and chances for advancement.

It is very rude for crew members not to accept any gifts from the customers even it means useless to them.

Few months ago a couple from Hawaii used to give candy from Hawaii.

What a surprise when the bartender received it thought not to her liking.

These people came so far away from the other side of globe and try to give a better living for this families and what they got are candy to bring home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would keep in mind that the idea is any gifts IN ADDITION to whatever cash tips you might be offering.  I certainly agree cash is king.

 

At the same time, any gift that comes from the heart and is done out of appreciation and caring is one that will be appreciated by the recipient IMHO.  I don't understand why someone would find it insulting or patronizing to give someone a little gift.  A good point was made vis a vis candy (or other items of this type).  Yes, the crew can purchase them in port, but in many cases (certainly in the Caribbean!) much more expensive than it would cost me to buy them in the US.  No, you don't know their dietary needs or wants.  But worst case they share them with their cabin mates or friends.  I also think specialized local items are a very nice gesture.  

 

One additional thing we do (and truthfully, we usually just give cash), is to bring Thank You cards, in which we write a nice note of appreciation to give along with the money.  I still remember to this day, 20 years later, how much I appreciated a superior (in rank) co-worker giving me a written note thanking me for my efforts on a project at work.    As the famous quote goes (and I hope I get the words correct), "Years from now people will not remember what you did for them, but they will remember how you made them feel".  Hopefully these small gestures make the recipients feel appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Longboysfan said:

I've done this multiple times and it never fails to bring a smile to their faces when they get something like this.

 

They're just humoring you.  Give them the money you spent on it instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best non monetary gift is to give them a LIKE by letting the Guest Relation Office know. Then mention their names in the survey that follows after the cruise. These mean everything to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic comes up quite frequently and the answer from most experienced cruisers is always the same, give them cash.  Not only do the crew have space issues (most have much less personal space then a regular passenger) but they also do not have extra room (or weight allowance) to lug gifts home.  As to giving crew certain treats such as candy or other food, you have no idea if they are allergic to that kind of food, might have religious prohibitions, etc.  

 

We do agree that if you get an extraordinary crew member, take the time to submit a positive comment (through Guest Relations).  Good comments can get them some prized time off, help them get future contracts, etc.  And because few passengers take the time to write positive comments it is very meaningful.

 

A few years ago, when on HAL's Prinsendam, we really enjoyed the bar tenders and waiters in the Crows Nest Lounge.  It was a long cruise (about 2 months) so having friendly crew really mattered.  One day I wrote a very positive comment about the entire staff in that bar and dropped it at Guest Relations.  A couple of days later when DW and I went into the Crows Nest we were greeted with our usual drinks and lots of smiles.  A few minutes later the ship's bar manager came into the bar and stopped over to give us a big thank you (the Bar Manager was an old friend of ours).  Apparently our comment made it to the Hotel Manager (and possibly higher) and was "duly noted."  Trust me that a $10 tip would not have gotten a better reaction.  The crew works hard, must routinely put up with whining and complaining passengers, and they have a tough job.  Getting some praise (which is noted by management) really makes their day.

 

Hank 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

 

They're just humoring you.  Give them the money you spent on it instead.

Unless you have mind-reading skills, you can't know that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Solution said:

The best non monetary gift is to give them a LIKE by letting the Guest Relation Office know. Then mention their names in the survey that follows after the cruise. These mean everything to them.

I agree that both of these things are appropriate and the best non-monetary gift of all.  But other thoughtful small gifts can be given in addition, should someone want to.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Longboysfan said:

And this is a good topic for cruisers who may like to give something.

 

I've done this multiple times and it never fails to bring a smile to their faces when they get something like this.

 

the crew are not your grandchildren.  they do not want your gifts.  they may smile to be polite. they want cash. do not patronize them.  apparently you do not "get it". enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Nachosdelux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

But other thoughtful small gifts can be given in addition, should someone want to.  

 

They can be but they shouldn't be, for all of the reasons articulated above.  It's simply selfish of the gift-giver to insist.

 

There *might* be a reason to give something as a on-off if you've established a longer-term relationship with them but not as a matter of routine, as the OP suggests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At every port we've been in, all 'round the world, we see crew members bringing back soda, and many snacks, including candy, which they purchased in some store somewhere in the port.  In a few places we've been, there have been special crew shuttles to take them shopping.

 

Re tipping, of course Cash is always King, but candy is fun.  We are very experienced cruisers and we are very generous tippers.  We also bring seasonal candy if we are sailing over any holiday which features candy - Valentines Day, Easter, Halloween.  Once we have given it out, we are no longer concerned with who gets what - they can eat it themselves, give it away, share it, whatever they want.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd guess a fun sized Snickers is not a useful to them as $1.  They'll probably, politely, say thank you and accept it and maybe eat it, but ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This couple on our cruise passed out coasters from their state.  The intention was good but the crew is looking for $$$ as tips.  Also, a better gift than the coasters would be a nice acknowledgement in your review.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only time we ever do non monetary gifts is when we vacation at sandals resorts because they are not allowed to accept money, on cruise cash is king.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

 

They can be but they shouldn't be, for all of the reasons articulated above.  It's simply selfish of the gift-giver to insist.

 

There *might* be a reason to give something as a on-off if you've established a longer-term relationship with them but not as a matter of routine, as the OP suggests.

So now giving gifts (in addition to money, not in place of) is considered selfish!?!?   I will just never understand how some people think.  I give my hairdresser a plate of Christmas cookies along with extra tip money over the holidays.  Am I being selfish?  I guess so. I also guess I will just have to continue being selfish by being generous to people because it is a nice thing to do. I wonder about anyone who would be offended by someone thinking of them and being nice to them.  Geez.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can’t convince some people that while they think candy is fun...and they’ve seen crew members buying candy...that crew members want to get candy from passengers.

 

So I won’t try. 

 

$$$$$$$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...