Never Again on RCCL! Poor Customer Service!

1 minute ago, rhblake said:

Doesn't the price per person increase if you use a refundable deposit?

Yes, that's the point. Non-refundable fares are less expensive to discourage people from booking when they're not sure they intend to take the cruise.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, rhblake said:

Doesn't the price per person increase if you use a refundable deposit?

For the most part...yes.

There have been a few cases where the 2 pricing models have resulted in the same cabin prices on certain cruises...but that's the exception, not the rule.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

The deposits have been non-refundable for years now. The sales reps are trained to read off the terms when taking the booking. Sorry that happened. Expensive lesson.

The reps do not always read the terms. Mine did not and I’m not a newbie. Please do not assume that this happens just because the reps are so called “trained” to do it. Anyone that has dealt with RCI for a long time knows that today when calling to book most of the time you’re dealing with a third party call center located outside of the U.S. A far cry from when their entire booking center was located in house. 

Seems RCI changed their website last year from showing both prices. Call it what you want but IMHO it screams of being shady. Just be transparent and make it easy for a customer to decide which price they want without having to fo through the entire process.

http://cruising.news/royal-caribbean-website-update-makes-refundable-deposits-less-visible/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

Seems RCI changed their website last year from showing both prices. Call it what you want but IMHO it screams of being shady. Just be transparent and make it easy for a customer to decide which price they want without having to fo through the entire process.

http://cruising.news/royal-caribbean-website-update-makes-refundable-deposits-less-visible/

Interesting article. They have a screen shot of the refundable option and they make it seem like it's just some sort of insurance that you're buying rather than a different fare. Kind of like what Ticketmaster does when buying tickets, offering an option to get your money back if you cannot attend.

Edited by MisterBill99

On 7/14/2019 at 3:22 PM, Ocean Boy said:

That is great for you. I think the subject was using RCI's website. It is unfortunate that you can't tell us all which awesome TA you use.

If your TA cannot give you both prices fairly quickly, find another one. 🙂

On 7/10/2019 at 3:46 PM, reallyitsmema said:

The statement about nonrefundable is not hidden.  It the middle of a booking confirm is the DEPOSIT AND FINAL PAYMENT SCHEDULE.  It is the second sentence of the first line, hardly hidden.

Every booking I have made since there have been non refundable deposits, the rep I spoke to made sure I knew it was non refundable.  Why the rep you spoke to didn't mention is beyond me.  As for the resolutions department and ask for the tape to be pulled.

When I have called about a price they normally don't mention that it is a non-refundable price. They say it is their "best" price. I have been lucky since I'm aware of what their "best" price means. They used to have on their website when booking it would ask if you wanted non-refundable or refundable. That option is no longer there and you have to call in to get the refundable price. I think they are trying to trick people into booking non-refundable cruises. I wonder how much money they have made from people who just cancelled and decided not to book on Royal again?

• Like 1

This is why I strongly recommend a travel agent.  I would NEVER book directly with a cruise line because my TA has far, far more leverage with them than I do.  I've never had a problem with refunds or cancellations, and my TA has always clearly explained the terms before running my card.  

1 hour ago, BensonFan711 said:

This is why I strongly recommend a travel agent.  I would NEVER book directly with a cruise line because my TA has far, far more leverage with them than I do.  I've never had a problem with refunds or cancellations, and my TA has always clearly explained the terms before running my card.  

I have to agree, TA is the way to go if booking a RCI cruise, especially now that the refundable option isn't even offered on their website!

21 minutes ago, mzhibbs said:

I have to agree, TA is the way to go if booking a RCI cruise, especially now that the refundable option isn't even offered on their website!

Refundable deposit IS offered when booking online.  When you get to the "Select your Preferences" tab it's there clear as day.  I've booked nearly all of my 46 cruises online and haven't had a problem distinguishing between refundable vs non-refundable.  It does default to the non-refundable option but you can choose the refundable fare if you wish.  Really not that difficult.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Refundable deposit IS offered when booking online.  When you get to the "Select your Preferences" tab it's there clear as day.  I've booked nearly all of my 46 cruises online and haven't had a problem distinguishing between refundable vs non-refundable.  It does default to the non-refundable option but you can choose the refundable fare if you wish.  Really not that difficult.

OK, so they don't show the refundable option when getting the quote/summary page right before you move on to actually book.  This option should be provided when you choose your room category. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Agree...if you book online.  You clearly get the to last page after entering the passenger details.  On that screen you select your dining time from the drop down, and then radio button if you want to include gratuities, and radio button if you want to switch to refundable with the additional cost listed.

But I suppose if someone if booking via RCL agent on the phone  (or even via next cruise when onboard) or Travel Agent, then it depends on what they tell them.  The invoice does specify refundable or non-refundable with penalty/refund amounts for various dates if cancel.  

We always book refundable.  But even with any price adjustement, I never hang up the phone until I receive the invoice from Royal and verify all details on that invoice.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mzhibbs said:

This option should be provided when you choose your room category. 

I agree, and when they first started offering the non-refundable option this is how they did it.  Would be simpler if they went back to this format.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 2:33 PM, gooselover said:

Yes, my credit card couldn't demand they get the recording, nor when I talked to them in January when I went to cancel, I specifically asked the rep for a recording, and she said they are not obligated to do that.

Put a call recorder on your phone.  It's a free app and YOU will always have the call (save it) available to you.  I have had one on my phone for 2 - 3 years.  LOVE it.  NO ... I'm not saying this will be legal for court purposes ... we're not talking court here.  BUT it's peace of mind on your end.  RCL/RCI ... may not acquiesce even with your recording ... but it's easier to find and access YOUR phone call than theirs. 

On 7/10/2019 at 4:09 PM, gooselover said:

You all ask why I am posting now.  As I said, I booked this in October 2018.  In January, when my son changed his job and could not get off this October 2019 for the cruise, I immediately called RCL and asked for a refund.  It was THEN that I discovered this was a NRD.  I was shocked.  Again, we have cruised with RCL before on a couple occasions.  Nothing on the website said NRD nor did the rep say anything.  Never before have I booked with RCL was there a nonrefundable deposit that I booked!  I disputed with my credit card, RCL denied it.  My credit card company said they could not make RCL pull a recording (if there was one).  NOW, why I am posting NOW is because I got an email regarding final payment.  I immediately called RCL and stated my case again, what had transpired, etc.  I even asked the CSR with RCL about pulling the recording.  She said she would ask her supervisor - supervisor denied the request.  I was then told that I could cancel cruise and lose my $2000 or keep it and move it to another date for a penalty of $600.  May, who I was talking to, was very empathetic to the situation - her supervisor was not.  I elected to cancel the cruise.  This is why I am just posting this now.  It was final payment due - the email came yesterday about final payment. 

Why didn't you reschedule the cruise?  You willingly lost $2,000 instead of paying $600 change fee?  I understand being upset over policies and unbending employees (supervisors and up the chain) but that is a big cut of your nose to spite your face move. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 6:37 PM, gooselover said:

It was going to cost me $600 more to change dates - Penalty of $100 each.  Due to their lack of concern or responsibility about all this, I elected to cancel.  Being in business for MYSELF, this is no way to act or to become "loyal to Royal" as you all say.   I am not going to give them any more money.  I am done with them.   BTW, we are Diamond on RCL.  Is this the way you would treat YOUR clients or customers?  It's not in my book.  And I am certainly not going to give them another $600 for their mistake. 

If you think another cruise line would give you a refund under similar circumstances, think again. Gooselover, you just missed this one.  You're right, the rep should have said something, but he didn't and you didn't ask, something you should have done considering how savvy you say you are.  And the fact that it was on the booking form and you failed to notice it means you need to take some responsibility for this oversight.  Don't give them 2K just for spite; I would probably be agitated as well, but I would suck it up and re-schedule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Put a call recorder on your phone.  It's a free app and YOU will always have the call (save it) available to you.  I have had one on my phone for 2 - 3 years.  LOVE it.  NO ... I'm not saying this will be legal for court purposes ... we're not talking court here.  BUT it's peace of mind on your end.  RCL/RCI ... may not acquiesce even with your recording ... but it's easier to find and access YOUR phone call than theirs. 

Depending on your state, it may be illegal to do this.

Not just not admissible in court, but actually against the law.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Depending on your state, it may be illegal to do this.

Not just not admissible in court, but actually against the law.

Federal law states that one party consent is sufficient.

In addition to federal law, thirty-eight states and the District of Columbia have adopted "one-party consent" laws and permit individuals to record phone calls and conversations to which they are a party or when one party to the communication consents.

Eleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

Hawaii is in general a one-party state, but requires two-party consent if the recording device is installed in a private place.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

When I have called about a price they normally don't mention that it is a non-refundable price. They say it is their "best" price. I have been lucky since I'm aware of what their "best" price means. They used to have on their website when booking it would ask if you wanted non-refundable or refundable. That option is no longer there and you have to call in to get the refundable price. I think they are trying to trick people into booking non-refundable cruises. I wonder how much money they have made from people who just cancelled and decided not to book on Royal again?

You do not have to call for a refundable price, you just have to do a mock booking all the way to the page you enter passenger information and you will see a refundable option.  It is not as user friendly as it used to be, but it does exist on the website.

On 7/15/2019 at 5:58 AM, xcell said:

For any refundable rat -- you need to call in, unless they offer it online, which seems to be a rare occurrence.

If you are in the US it is not rare. See many previous posts that outline how to do it... it's pretty simple. 

I honestly don't understand people spending hundreds/thousands of dollars without fully knowing what they are getting into. Maybe people have that kind of money to throw around, but it would seem anyone that would complain about it.. does not. 

• Like 3