Never Again on RCCL! Poor Customer Service!

4 hours ago, gooselover said:

Proggieus, nothing said in the terms of the booking nor did the rep say ANYTHING about it being nonrefundable.  I am very saavy about booking a cruise due to our business.  Nothing was said PERIOD about it being nonrefundable.

Sorry this happened to you. A person Savvy about a cruise booking would read the confirmation. Even though it is non refundable, a call within 24 hours would have allowed you to cancel or change the booking without a penalty.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I wonder what RCI's response would have been if the OP had called back right after getting the booking confirmation and asked for the change to refundable. If they would have allowed it then I agree with you. But if they stuck to their guns when the rep never disclosed the fact then I'd be very upset.

They allow it, as I have had to do it before because it was booked wrong. I was told then, that within 24 hours, there is no penalties.

1 hour ago, gooselover said:

It was going to cost me $600 more to change dates - Penalty of $100 each.  Due to their lack of concern or responsibility about all this, I elected to cancel.  Being in business for MYSELF, this is no way to act or to become "loyal to Royal" as you all say.   I am not going to give them any more money.  I am done with them.   BTW, we are Diamond on RCL.  Is this the way you would treat YOUR clients or customers?  It's not in my book.  And I am certainly not going to give them another $600 for their mistake.

I'm at a loss at to how it is their mistake, and not your mistake? You stated you were Diamond.. so you have cruise enough to know to look at your confirmations. That is what a savvy cruiser would do on each and every confirmation. What do you mean your eyes do not "go down there?" It is very clear, and not in "fine print."  

The booking confirmation shows it, and you could have called back to have it changed. The image below shows the refundable and non refundable wording. It is not hidden. The website clearly shows it when you price the cruise. Images shows cancellation policy clearly on a non refundable rate. 

1320819035_ScreenShot2019-07-10at7_42_30PM.thumb.png.07c2f9353076166df1e7f1cff69de09c.png

Cancellation.thumb.png.23b8d0a1806f5ea3dfb863ace95c220a.png

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

So anyone know how long Royal has been doing this non refundable thing? It’s been awhile, like more than a year, hasn’t it? Trying to figure out how this experienced cruiser didn’t know.

I'm guessing somewhere between one and two years.

Non refundable is pretty much the default option so there is likely no reason to mention it other than losing out on the upsell of the refundable deposit option.  As with any purchase you have to do your own research and not depend on the company you are buying from to educate you

OP actually gets kudos from me for cancelling the cruise.

Very few things funnier than folks who have the same complaint as OP and come on here yelling that they'll show Royal who is boss by never cruising with them again (after they give Royal another $10k for the three cruises they currently have booked of course) or those who constantly complain about Royal's "shady business practices" and "fake sales" then continue to cruise with a company who treats their customers like dirt.

Edited by Husky1987
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Husky1987 said:

... or those who constantly complain about Royal's "shady business practices" and "fake sales" then continue to cruise with a company who treats their customers like dirt.

Some of us see that there is a significant difference between how we are treated by Miami management and how we are treated by the ship's crew.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, gooselover said:

However, hidden in TINY PRINT was a disclosure that said this was a nonrefundable deposit. 

Fully agree that this is something that should be disclosed by the agent.  I booked a cruise a few days ago and don't recall this ever being mentioned (although I knew it from researching the web site before calling).  I just check my documentation however and it is very clear. 

image.thumb.png.08cd46b82683eb030d376c7960710286.png

I highlighted the applicable sentences.  This is the same sized font as the rest of the document.  I checked this against other receipts that I've received and all are the same.  No "TINY PRINT".  Maybe your receipt is different.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, blackshirt said:

So anyone know how long Royal has been doing this non refundable thing? It’s been awhile, like more than a year, hasn’t it? Trying to figure out how this experienced cruiser didn’t know.

I'm sorry for the OP.  We've cruised RC, Princess, HAL, and (long ago) Epirotiki.  I hadn't heard of non-refundable deposits, and I appreciate the info as we will now be warned.  I believe that quite a few of the posters here are being unduly harsh with the OP. When you're not expecting non-refundable deposits, it is easy to miss the note -- which isn't exactly in large print on the confirmation.  It might be well known for those who cruise RC all the time, but that leaves a lot of people out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Wish I could have made Diamond after a couple of cruises.

Sailing solo in a Jr. Suite on a couple of B2B cruises will get anybody there in no time.😂

First I want to say that I sympathize with OP.  Generally, I always do a mock booking first online to see what the rates are then I call a rep.  I dont remember the rep saying anything about refundable or non refundable deposits. However, I do remember them saying "best rate possible" and I knew it was the non refundable rate due to me looking at prices previously online.  Now every time I have booked on NextCruise they always make it VERY clear that the rate I'm getting is non refundable and that I have 30 days to make changes if dates I selected do not work.  OP- thank you for sharing your story.  I do believe it will make people more aware when booking cruises in the future.  I'm also very sorry about your loss on $$.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

So, 3 times 14 is 42 and 7 for the balcony totals 49.  Diamond is 80.

We understand you are upset that you weren't told that you booked a non refundable deposit cruise and you didn't read it on your confirm, but making up facts makes no sense.

I refuse to challenge anyone after the SKY perks discussion 

7 minutes ago, KelSny1011 said:

First I want to say that I sympathize with OP.  Generally, I always do a mock booking first online to see what the rates are then I call a rep.  I dont remember the rep saying anything about refundable or non refundable deposits. However, I do remember them saying "best rate possible" and I knew it was the non refundable rate due to me looking at prices previously online.  Now every time I have booked on NextCruise they always make it VERY clear that the rate I'm getting is non refundable and that I have 30 days to make changes if dates I selected do not work.  OP- thank you for sharing your story.  I do believe it will make people more aware when booking cruises in the future.  I'm also very sorry about your loss on $$.  

NextCruise is very clear on the process. Online, not so much

Although guilty of not reading all the posts in this thread, it sure made me review my recent booking(s).  It does clearly spell out NRD in several places.   Thinking it through, it is a lesson in balancing the type of travel insurance you choose and your risk tolerance.  For our upcoming Majesty cruise, the 100% covered reason / 75% future cruise credit any reason works for us because of the low exposure.  For an October cruise on a different line, we picked up much 'better' coverage because the exposure was about 8x.   

I guess what I don't understand is you said you are a seasoned cruiser, you've cruised with RCCL many times and you said more than once in more than one post is that you understand non-refundable and refundable deposits.  So if you knew about the 2 types of deposits and the risk of losing $2000, why didn't you verify with the agent what type of fare you booked?

When you book with Carnival, do you not ask if its an early saver fare?

I feel bad for you but with all the information avenues we have these days, you dropped the ball.  If you want to book yourself you better understand the all rules otherwise that's what T/A are for.  Plus you get perks 🙂

4 hours ago, arabrab said:

I'm sorry for the OP.  We've cruised RC, Princess, HAL, and (long ago) Epirotiki.  I hadn't heard of non-refundable deposits, and I appreciate the info as we will now be warned.  I believe that quite a few of the posters here are being unduly harsh with the OP. When you're not expecting non-refundable deposits, it is easy to miss the note -- which isn't exactly in large print on the confirmation.  It might be well known for those who cruise RC all the time, but that leaves a lot of people out. 

be careful nowadays HAL and Princess both have tons of non refundable rates and many of them not clearly stated until you drill down.  Especially HAL in my opinion.   

I now just call and ask for the room I want at a refundable rate.  I start with "hello, I would like to book a cruise and I want a fully refundable rate" before I say anything else just in case I get distracted and forget to mention it.  

Edited by Sailor Taylor
  • Like 1