Dealing with Condensation

I think its pretty well accepted that letting your gear slowly warm to the ambient temperature is the best option to deal with condensation on the lens, but do any of you have thoughts about what to do when it isn't practical?

Some travel, including cruising, can involve a lot of going between air conditioning and hot, humid outdoor air.  I don't always have an outdoor space I'd be willing to leave my equipment to keep it warm, and on a recent trip I found my big Sigma could take almost an hour to acclimate to the hot, humid weather.  I know in astrophotography heated dew strips are used to keep condensation off a telescope, and they are made in sizes for lenses.  I'm not sure if these are a practical/safe solution.  After all, the only thing worse than missing a shot because of condensation is ruining your gear trying to get that shot!

Thanks!

From our cruise on the Amazon. The ships interior nice & cool out on deck was like a sauna. Some times you get a nice effect from the condensation. I did use a hair dryer when I got back to the cabin. My camera still works fine, although I'm sure all that condensation is not good for it.

DSC_5385.JPG

DSC_5386.JPG

DSC_5388.JPG

A few minutes with a hair dryer works in a pinch. I hold the camera so my hand is in the air streams so it doesn't apply too much direct heat as I rotate it to hit all sides. If you're lucky enough to find a drawer over the high-tech that's deep enough, it is usually warm enough to keep your camera and a couple of lenses above the dew point.

Normally my routine is to take along a small ReptiTherm terrarium heater pad. I put it in my bag next to the camera and plug it in when I'm in the cabin for any length of time. Very low wattage and since it is designed to not to cook your iguana or turtle, it's heat output is safe for your equipment.

Dave

5 hours ago, pierces said:

Normally my routine is to take along a small ReptiTherm terrarium heater pad.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had a Bearded Dragon years ago; he had a heating pad to use at night when the basking light was off.  I may still have it...

If you need to have the gear ready at a moments notice, the heater pad that Dave mentioned is a great idea. I have the issue at home when I want to hurry out the door to get a shot pronto. Inside is cool and drier, whereas outside is warm and humid. It happened on a couple of Caribbean cruises recently exiting to the balcony for shots of passing oil rigs. I use a shirt or towel but that does not hold long since the front glass is cool. If I know I want shots ahead of time, I'll wrap the rig in a light towel and leave it outside so it is ready when I need it.