What are the things that could obstruct a view?

reeinaz

The usual culprit is a lifeboat/tender. But as an example, on the NCL Bliss, the lifeboats are tucked into the ship and don’t create obstructed views. But the ship still warns of possible obstructed views  when booking GTY cabins. I know this varies from ship to ship, but what other features besides lifeboats  could obstruct your view? This question is not specific to the Bliss. 

Window washing equipment that moves along the side of the ship, but when not in use can be parked outside a cabin and partially obstruct views.  Some ships have steel walls on the balconies instead of plexiglass.  these are usually located forward, and maybe a few aft.  EM

• Like 1

On R-class (and maybe S-class) HAL ships, Obstructed OVs on the Lower Promenade (deck 3) are blocked by various hull structures on the outside of the actual promenade, stairways, and the like. After the R-class, their ships no longer have cabins on the same deck as the walk-around promenade.

Most things, other than lifeboats in front of your window or balcony, really don't "obstruct" your view....while you can see those things, they aren't generally solid, like a lifeboat would be!  Window washing equip. is usually a platform ABOVE your head or BELOW your feet...and possibly a ladder.  See-thru!

Yes, I've definitely seen there are levels of obstruction besides simply partial and full. I managed to score a 30% obstructed view balcony on the Celebrity Equinox (trailing edge of the hump). It's in between lifeboats and the tops of the lifeboats only reach the bottom of the balcony. I never would have thought to really look hard at that cabin if I hadn't read about hump balconies on this site or read about cabins in between lifeboats. I guess what really had me curious about obstructed views is that I have booked a GTY balcony on the NCL Encore and since the lifeboats are tucked in like on the Bliss, I'm wondering about the other possible obstructions. Are there any websites that show the location of all the 'extra' stuff on ships? The deck plans seem to just show cabins and public areas. I've also been curious about locations of laundry rooms and things like that. I've found most information by searching specific rooms and reading what people have said about them but obviously not all rooms have this information available.

HALfacts(.com) has shots from just outside all the partially and fully obstructed OVs on Lower Promenade for the Amsterdam (have to compare deck plans for the Rotterdam/Volendam/Zaandam bc some of the cabin numbers vary). As far as Balcony obstructions, some cabin photos will have notes as well as photos, but it is not universal.

There are photos of views of obstructed OVs on many of the Princess ships -- Google "RenMar Obstructed". For other categories of cabins and other lines, all I know is cruisedeckplans.com and hope someone has posted photos. And asking here! putting the ship's name and cabin number in the title of post.

• Thanks 1