Cruise ship passenger had drugs in cabin

Charles4515

Posting this as a reminder that cannabis and THC are illegal in Bermuda, even when on the ship in Bermuda and that local laws in your US state don’t matter. A few things to note besides that the drugs were found in the cabin. It as not just cannabis.  It was also THC and an e cigarette. Crew members reported the passenger. 

http://www.royalgazette.com/court/article/20190711/cruise-ship-passenger-had-drugs-in-cabin

• Thanks 1

Are there any other drugs/medications that are legal in (parts of) the US that are not in Bermuda?  My husband takes a decongestant which while legal, does require proof of id.  I never considered it to be an issue but figured I should check.

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

Are there any other drugs/medications that are legal in (parts of) the US that are not in Bermuda?  My husband takes a decongestant which while legal, does require proof of id.  I never considered it to be an issue but figured I should check.

Decongestant won’t be an issue. Decongestant with certain ingredients is required to be sold behind the counter and requires ID to limit the amount that can be sold to one individual. That is because the ingredients were being used to make meth so they were being bought in in bulk for that purpose not as a decongestant. They also keep a record of whoever buys those decongestants. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, serene56 said:

What’s wrong with an e cig.  Those are not illegal 

It is illegal if it contains THC. Did you read the article? They found that the e cigarette contained THC. 

Edited by Charles4515

I read the article and at the end the editors note said that it is legal if it’s medical. Does anybody know if that was Bermuda he was talking about or Connecticut. I do have a medical marijuana card for the state of Pennsylvania. 

1 hour ago, tcgary said:

I read the article and at the end the editors note said that it is legal if it’s medical. Does anybody know if that was Bermuda he was talking about or Connecticut. I do have a medical marijuana card for the state of Pennsylvania. 

You can’t not bring it into Bermuda. Your card is meaningless in Bermuda. If you do and are caught, even if you have a medical marijuana card you will be fined as many have found out. Claiming ignorance of Bermuda law does not help either. They will find you guilty and you will pay the fine or go to jail. 

https://www.gov.bm/public-awareness-fact-sheet

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tcgary said:

The editor's note is clearly referring to Connecticut law. Your medical marijuana card for Pennsylvania, or anywhere else for that matter, is meaningless in Bermuda. You're not permitted to bring  marijuana into Bermuda, period. In fact no cruise line even permits you to bring it on board.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You can’t not bring it into Bermuda. Your card is meaningless in Bermuda. If you do and are caught, even if you have a medical marijuana card you will be fined as many have found out. Claiming ignorance of Bermuda law does not help either. They will find you guilty and you will pay the fine or go to jail. 

https://www.gov.bm/public-awareness-fact-sheet

Easy, it was just a question. I am a 59-year-old man who is never used cannabis in his life. However I do have cream for a very bad back. That’s all I was asking I didn’t need a lecture! Life  it’s too short for people always being nasty to one another. Thanks for the fact sheet that did help.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tcgary said:

Easy, it was just a question. I am a 59-year-old man who is never used cannabis in his life. However I do have cream for a very bad back. That’s all I was asking I didn’t need a lecture! Life  it’s too short for people always being nasty to one another. Thanks for the fact sheet that did help.

We want cruise passengers to be clear about this so they don’t accidentally get in trouble. Many have gone before the magistrate and pleaded they did not know.  I don’t know if they honestly did not know or not but not knowing does not matter to Bermuda authorities!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Proudairborne/RangerMom said:

I as well have a cream that contains small abount of thc and I also have 5mg of edible for chronic pain from Lupus and MS.  Would my bringing either of these be a problem because the fact sheet from Bermuda only discusses how you can't have more then 7grams of cannabis.

It would be a problem.  Importation of cannabis was neither legalized or decriminalized. 

You're misreading or ignoring parts of the "fact sheet"  including:

Cannabis remains a controlled drug under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1972. The Misuse of Drugs (Decriminalisation of Cannabis) Amendment Act 2017 does NOT legalize the use of cannabis in Bermuda.

The Misuse of Drugs (Decriminalisation of Cannabis) Amendment Act 2017 removed criminal offences for the simple possession by any person of 7 grams or LESS of cannabis. The Misuse of Drugs (Decriminalisation of Cannabis) Amendment Act 2017 does NOT make it legal for a person to consume, cultivate, traffic or import cannabis in any quantity.

Under the Misuse of Drugs (Decriminalisation of Cannabis) Amendment Act 2017, a police officer of any rank has the lawful authority to seize any amount of cannabis in the possession of any person.

It is still illegal to use, sell (supply), handle, or import cannabis and a person may be prosecuted for such offences.

Edited by njhorseman

2 hours ago, Proudairborne/RangerMom said:

I as well have a cream that contains small abount of thc and I also have 5mg of edible for chronic pain from Lupus and MS.  Would my bringing either of these be a problem because the fact sheet from Bermuda only discusses how you can't have more then 7grams of cannabis.

27 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It would be a problem.  Importation of cannabis was neither legalized or decriminalized. 

You're misreading or ignoring parts of the "fact sheet"  including:

Cannabis remains a controlled drug under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1972. The Misuse of Drugs (Decriminalisation of Cannabis) Amendment Act 2017 does NOT legalize the use of cannabis in Bermuda.

The Misuse of Drugs (Decriminalisation of Cannabis) Amendment Act 2017 removed criminal offences for the simple possession by any person of 7 grams or LESS of cannabis. The Misuse of Drugs (Decriminalisation of Cannabis) Amendment Act 2017 does NOT make it legal for a person to consume, cultivate, traffic or import cannabis in any quantity.

Under the Misuse of Drugs (Decriminalisation of Cannabis) Amendment Act 2017, a police officer of any rank has the lawful authority to seize any amount of cannabis in the possession of any person.

It is still illegal to use, sell (supply), handle, or import cannabis and a person may be prosecuted for such offences.

I forgot to mention that no cruise line permits you to have it on board either. While medical marijuana is legal in many states and some states even allow recreational marijuana, under federal law marijuana is still a Schedule I narcotic and therefore a cruise line operating in US waters can't permit it on board. Further, marijuana is likely illegal in the ship's flag state, again meaning the cruise line can't allow it on board. If they were to catch you they would put you off the ship.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 7:54 AM, Charles4515 said:

Posting this as a reminder that cannabis and THC are illegal in Bermuda, even when on the ship in Bermuda and that local laws in your US state don’t matter. A few things to note besides that the drugs were found in the cabin. It as not just cannabis.  It was also THC and an e cigarette. Crew members reported the passenger. 

http://www.royalgazette.com/court/article/20190711/cruise-ship-passenger-had-drugs-in-cabin

Even here in Massachusetts where pot IS Legal, we can not transport it by ship or air due to federal law.

Nantucket island in Mass. must grow it on the island only, it can Not be imported from the mainland by any means.

Edited by biker@sea

2 hours ago, biker@sea said:

Even here in Massachusetts where pot IS Legal, we can not transport it by ship or air due to federal law.

Nantucket island in Mass. must grow it on the island only, it can Not be imported from the mainland by any means.

Yes, and the commission even made rules about testing since product can't leave the island to go to the certified testing centers. For once, our government workers got something right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 1:00 PM, tcgary said:

Does the cream work for you? I have had several discectomy's, and a spinal fusion. Pain has been eased , but I get real bad spasms. I am 60 and have never used myself. 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...