Carryon Items??

It will vary by cruise line, so it might be helpful for you to identify who you're sailing with.

Some lines require certain items like wine or beverages to be in your carryon but otherwise I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. I carry on anything valuable or fragile such as cameras and DW's jewelry. I put little plastic bottles of soda in my suitcase (since Cunard allows this, not all lines do) but I've learned the hard way that you shouldn't check a 12-pack of canned soda.

You must (MUST) remember to have your passports/BCs on your person for check in.  When people accidentally leave them in their luggage the luggage has to be found and the documents retrieved before they can check in. Sometimes the search has been unsuccessful and the passengers miss the sailing.

Basically, make sure you pack into your carry on anything that is valuable, breakable, or you simply cannot live without for the day.  Think about medications, travel documents, electronics, medical equipment as absolutely necessary to be carried on.  Some lines will require you to carry on any beverages (Carnival does).  Otherwise, you could carry on whatever you would need for the day (swimsuit, a change of clothes, toiletries, etc.) until your luggage arrives.

• Like 2

Carry-on..................

I.D. (passports/birth certs) 

Any visas, YF certs, etc if required for the cruise.

Cruise booking docs.

(so effectively all your paperwork)

Medications.

Drinks (if permitted) must be in carry-on for some cruise lines, but it's safest anyway.

Valuables and fragiles (cash, credit cards, jewellery. electronics, etc).

Ideally also a change of clothes & pool stuff - your checked bags might not appear at your cabin for some hours.

But bear in mind that you have to keep your carry-on with you until your cabin is available, so you might regret carrying-on too much.

Checked..............

Items larger than will fit through the scanner at security (scanners are similar to those at airports). Very very rately a passenger needs to carry-on something larger - not usually a problem, just accept that folk in the line may be annoyed by it slowing the line.

For the health of crew who have to manhandle checked bags, please try to keep each case to the recommended 44lbs. Two cases at 44lbs each rather than one big one.

Bear in mind any differences between this and items permitted in the aircraft cabin - you might need to remember to switch one or two things between airport and ship.

JB :classic_smile:  

Thank you guys so much! We have FTTF so our cabin should be ready right away, and we should get our bags earlier than most.

Thank you for the link, I knew I'd seen it but couldn't remember where!

We are leaving today!! Don't worry, we are mostly packed, just wanted to make sure I didn't need to rearrange anything. 😉

• Like 1

we do fly, but we still carry on everything we can't be without on the cruise if things were to "disappear" between the port and the ship: docs, meds, electronics, 1 pair of flip flops for everyone, 1 swimming attire for everyone, 1 sunhat for everyone, toothbrushes, car seat (when we needed one).

SPF lotion is a must as well, but alas, we can't put  it into a carry on while flying.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

Cruises are NOT like airplanes.  You  may carry on full-sized toiletries, if you wish....

In your carryon should be ANYTHING of value.  Your Rx's...your jewelry, cash, credit cards, ID, etc.  If you have makeup or toiletries you must have before dinner the 1st night, put them in your carryon.