Vow Renewal on a Princess Ship, Is it Worth it

IrishLassie

Each week onboard, they host an open group vow renewal ceremony complementary, for all those guests who'd like to participate. It's held in the piazza one evening. I want to say on one of the formal nights, but I can't recall. The cruise director usually runs the ceremony. 

I've never seen one offered complimentary except for a Valentine cruise I was on once. The vow renewal package is done privately on a date that you choose. Once onboard the hostess that coordinates will contact you to verify date and time. Worth it is a matter of opinion. I did the cheapest package then planned for balcony breakfast that morning, then a nice couples massage and then dinner that evening in Crown Grill. We enjoyed the day.

My wife and I had our 50th anniversary on the Golden princess.  We had a vow renewal conducted by the Captain.  It was just my wife and me and our guests.  We arranged the private ceremony prior to the voyage and coordinated with the cruise staff on the ship to schedule the ceremony at a time convenient for the captain.  There was a reasonable charge for the renewal that included flowers, pictures and champagne.   It was very well done and we thoroughly enjoyed it.  I would highly recommend it foryou and your spouse. 

• Like 3

I can't even remember my original vows. I was supposed to write my own but spaced it (Hey! I was 19....) so I just winged it at the time. Seems to have worked as we are still married 47 years later.

• Like 5

Thank you all so much for the info.  We understood that the "package vow renewal" was with a group, but if it's just for one couple & we get to choose when, I will consider it.  I think I will call Princess to see about the group one to see if they do it on CB for our Panama Canal cruise.  We are traveling with our good friends who are also celebrating 40 yrs. & we'd like to do it together as I caught her bouquet 40 yrs. ago!

• Like 1

While we were aboard the Royal In April,  they announced a vow renewal event one afternoon in the Piazza.......for free.....I was dressed in my best sweats.....along with about 15 other couples.....the cruise director conducted the ceremony......it was great.

My son was deployed two days after the small wedding we hosted in our home. When he returned a year later, we treated them and their siblings to a "Honeymoon Cruise". We arranged a private vow renewal ceremony with the captain which was really well done. I am not a fan of ship photographers, but the one assigned to take a collection of photos did an excellent job.

My husband surprised me for our 30th with a vow renewal.  Our good friends were there along with some of the crew which I thought was so nice.  The Captain officiated and the vows were beautiful and appropriate for a renewal.  We had flowers and a photographer and a meal in the steak house afterwards.  Worth the money!  You could do it with your friends probably at the same time and in the chapel with just you, not a mass ceremony.  I say go for it!!!

10 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

They have been offering a vow renewal package by the Captain for several years.   🤔

It is offered on the personalizer for $225.99. Deluxe $499.99

IDK why Princess is always with the stupid $0.99 on all these big prices.  At least they don't do it for the cruise fare pricing.  But same thing for internet packages, drink packages.  Who are they fooling?  NObody.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

IDK why Princess is always with the stupid $0.99 on all these big prices.  At least they don't do it for the cruise fare pricing.  But same thing for internet packages, drink packages.  Who are they fooling?  NObody.

Yeah I saw that and thought it was another glitch.  🙄

11 hours ago, cormike1 said:

My husband surprised me for our 30th with a vow renewal.  Our good friends were there along with some of the crew which I thought was so nice.  The Captain officiated and the vows were beautiful and appropriate for a renewal.  We had flowers and a photographer and a meal in the steak house afterwards.  Worth the money!  You could do it with your friends probably at the same time and in the chapel with just you, not a mass ceremony.  I say go for it!!!

That was so nice of your husband to do that.  Was he able to pick the day & time that he wanted?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IrishLassie said:

That was so nice of your husband to do that.  Was he able to pick the day & time that he wanted?

Yes he was able to do that.  We were sailing on the actual date of our anniversary so he chose that date and the time was later so that we could go from the ceremony to the steak house for our dinner.  It was very nice and a pleasant surprise!

12 hours ago, steelers36 said:

IDK why Princess is always with the stupid $0.99 on all these big prices.  At least they don't do it for the cruise fare pricing.  But same thing for internet packages, drink packages.  Who are they fooling? 

Obviously a few cruisers who will waste money on something such as that.

If the cruise you are planning happens to go to the Hawaiian Islands, there used to be a Princess Excursion at Nawiliwili that had a luau and vow renewal.  We did that for our 35th anniversary and it was really special, even for a group ceremony.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, IrishLassie said:

I just surprised DW with a private vow renewal ceremony in April.  I did it on a Panama Canal Cruise on the Coral.  I was NOT allowed to pick the date and time, the schedule was entirely dependent on the Captain's schedule.  That said, they try to set it up early on a formal night.  The look on DW's face made it all worth it.  Go for it, some of the crew even attended the ceremony.

I surprised my wife with a vow renewal last September on the Regal Princess on the Canada/New England cruise. I wasn't going to tell her at first but changed my mind after watching a couple of youtube videos and was worried she wouldn't have the right clothes along.

Our renewal was done on the first formal night and it was just the two of us. The Captain performed it in the Chapel on the ship. The flowers were very nice and my wife loved her bouquet. You would think that after 45 years you wouldn't get chocked up be we both did. Everything was very well done. We received a copy of the renewal.

After the renewal the Captain invited us to the bridge where he gave us a tour. There were two younger women one who videoed everything and the other a photographer. While on the bridge it was sunset and the pictures turned out great.

After the bridge the women took many more photos and footage in the atrium and around the ship. Many comments from other passengers who thought we just got married. Also received choice seating at a window in the dining room that evening.

The cost was well worth it especially with all the extras that are included. Read about them in the onboard purchase section. The video and photographer each had packages were could purchase. The video was nice but were really liked the photo montage set to music that the photographer did. We ended up purchasing that package after being given a discount. IMHO it was well worth the cost and making my wife that happy was priceless.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2019 at 6:02 AM, Daniel A said:

I just surprised DW with a private vow renewal ceremony in April.  I did it on a Panama Canal Cruise on the Coral.  I was NOT allowed to pick the date and time, the schedule was entirely dependent on the Captain's schedule.  That said, they try to set it up early on a formal night.  The look on DW's face made it all worth it.  Go for it, some of the crew even attended the ceremony.

Yes, it does depend on the Captain's schedule; however, they try to work with you on the date you want.  The best time is a sea day.  Our time was changed but it was still on the day we chose.  Everything was done so nicely.   It was even fancier than our original wedding. Worth every penny of the $200 or so we paid for it.

Edited by ssbeagle