I think I got a bad deal.

SailorMan20

Are the perks really "Free" or are they built into price of cruise? My TA presented it to Me that they are Free.  I know the Air wasn't free and I am Ok with that. I am not down with being lied to. She reached out to Me thru Facebook for My business. It was odd.I get the bad feeling.

5 minutes ago, SailorMan20 said:

Are the perks really "Free" or are they built into price of cruise? My TA presented it to Me that they are Free.  I know the Air wasn't free and I am Ok with that. I am not down with being lied to. She reached out to Me thru Facebook for My business. It was odd.I get the bad feeling.

Very few things are truly "free" (almost none).

SOMEONE is going to pay for it.  If it isn't the person paying for the underlying item/service, then it would be some other customer, or perhaps the cost would be spread out to some other parties entirely.

Most people understand that "free" means "included in the given cost", one way or another.

Note:  This does NOT mean you got a "bad deal".  That's just how it's priced at the time.  (The prices will keep changing, as will the perks...)

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

They are "free" in that they are baked into the price you paid for the cruise.

Simple example:

1. Cruise Price $2,500 + $500 in "perks" = $3,000 package

2. Cruise Price $3,000 + "free perks" = $3,000 package

You weren't lied to or deceived nor should you feel bad.  Many seem to think they are getting "scammed" by not getting the $2,500 Cruise Price and the "free perks".

As the old saying goes - there is no such thing as a free lunch.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

They are "free" in that they are baked into the price you paid for the cruise.

Simple example:

1. Cruise Price $2,500 + $500 in "perks" = $3,000 package

2. Cruise Price $3,000 + "free perks" = $3,000 package

You weren't lied to or deceived nor should you feel bad.  Many seem to think they are getting "scammed" by not getting the $2,500 Cruise Price and the "free perks".

As the old saying goes - there is no such thing as a free lunch.

This makes Me feel better about it. 

• Like 2

Think we would need to know more details.    

What category room did you get?     

I have a sail away package and it didn’t come with any free perks. 

And we figured that it was cheaper to get a sail away.   

I dont drink alcohol or soda    Only drink water.  And don’t need the dinner perks.  I’ll pay as I go. Its cheaper that way for me anyway.  I’m a picky eater so just easier for me to order off the menu.     

Booked my excursions on my own. So the on board credit isn’t really a perk as I’ve saved just as much booking on my own.   

I have a mini suite book for August on the Joy. Paid 2010.00.    Think it went down like 50.00 since 

Purchased a small water package for 17.00    6-1 liters and I have water bottles. 

If I would have gotten the perks it would have been another 500 or so.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SailorMan20 said:

The price is built into the fare. If you get a fare without any perks it is usually substantially lower, but you don't get to pick your stateroom.

For us it was $805 more (split 3 ways) to get the "free perks".  This does include the gratuities for all drinks, and our airfare.  My brother will probably drink more than that if he went al a cart.  We will buy one more of the meal packages for the third person.  

I've never had the drink package and am sooooo looking forward to it (usually I might purchase one drink a day max).

10 minutes ago, Jasonmom said:

For us it was $805 more (split 3 ways) to get the "free perks".  This does include the gratuities for all drinks, and our airfare.  My brother will probably drink more than that if he went al a cart.  We will buy one more of the meal packages for the third person.  

I've never had the drink package and am sooooo looking forward to it (usually I might purchase one drink a day max).

Drink package was great- I averaged 38-42 on the last 2 cruises from what I remember. As you said in another thread- if you don't like a drink you just get something else or 2 more of the same thing you are drinking if it is good. However, training is usually a good idea before going on a cruise (i.e. a drink or two a week)

Edited by HowardK
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SailorMan20 said:

NCL certainly lied to you by placing a link to the terms and conditions for the Free at Sea promotion on their web site and putting everything, including the gratuity owed for some of the promotions in writing. And sailing on a new ship, the Encore, with all of the issues that will bring?

5 hours ago, SailorMan20 said:

So you purchased something from an anonymous "TA" who pursued you through Facebook and you get a bad feeling and lied to??  You also feel ashamed about making monthly payments (another thread you started)....... 

Maybe just cancel the whole cruise to relieve you of the shame of making payments and the bad feeling of being lied to.

Simple solution 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SailorMan20 said:

NCL says they are free but YOU have to PAY the GRATUITIES ... I think 20% of the package cost. 

We booked the Bliss for a Panama Canal cruise (21 days); while I was a bit surprised about the amount of the service charge for the Deluxe Beverage Package (the 20% is based on the "full DBP" price of $99/day!), it's still a bargain for us.  I will say that, depending on when your cruise is, it behooves you to stay abreast of current pricing, and let your TA know if it drops for your cabin category (I just do a mock booking to see what the price is); so far we've saved $900 ($450 each) on the cabin we reserved back in April -- and the cruise is in April 2020.

It is still cheaper to pay the price quoted with perks in most cases. So what you are really getting is a nice discount, but totally free, no!! of course you can book the sail away rate and it will be a lot cheaper. We have figured it out: for us, we are saving a lot by going with the "free at sea" package. It depends on what perks are in your package and will you use them all? 

We have done well with the free at sea and perks package.  We like the pre paid gratuities, beverage and the included restaurant meals, and did actually use three of the port shore excursion credits on our recent cruise.  Had a great cabin as well.  We also had the free air, which actually proved to be a godsend since we were on the Pearl last week, and had to disembark in Barcelona.  That meant they had to rebook our air which was one less worry to have.  I will always look for this deal when planning our next  cruise.

11 hours ago, esm54687 said:

So you purchased something from an anonymous "TA" who pursued you through Facebook and you get a bad feeling and lied to??  You also feel ashamed about making monthly payments (another thread you started)....... 

Maybe just cancel the whole cruise to relieve you of the shame of making payments and the bad feeling of being lied to.

Simple solution 

Honestly, it does seem that ever since you booked this trip you have been filled with apprehension about MANY things.  That is not the way it is supposed to feel when you book a vacation.  You may have been encouraged by an unscrupulous travel agent who signed you up for something that is not the right fit for you.  I suggest you talk to your family about all of your concerns vs. posting them on the internet to get advice from strangers who do not know you or your personal situation.

That said, if this trip is going to add to your anxiety, I also suggest you just cancel and relieve yourself of the stress.  Look for a more manageable vacation closer to home that is within your budget.

Good luck to you!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Simple solution 

And being TA's aren't suppose to promote their business on FB sends up another red flag

9 hours ago, beerman2 said:

And being TA's aren't suppose to promote their business on FB sends up another red flag

Why can't a TA promote their business on FB? I see people promote their business all the time, especially the Travel Agency I use. 

• Like 1