How long to disembark?

RCCruiser71

We are cruising out of Port Liberty (Canada New England cruise). I am going to use a car service to get from the port to Newark Airport.  Our ship docks at 7:00 am.  How much time should I allow to get off the ship?  I have to give the car service a pick up time, and I don’t want them waiting for us, and I don’t want to be waiting around the port forever either.  I was thinking 8:30 or maybe 9:00, but I didn’t know either how long after docking passengers can come off the ship, how long it takes to get luggage etc.

Thank you so much for your insight!

15 minutes ago, RCCruiser71 said:

We are cruising out of Port Liberty (Canada New England cruise). I am going to use a car service to get from the port to Newark Airport.  Our ship docks at 7:00 am.  How much time should I allow to get off the ship?  I have to give the car service a pick up time, and I don’t want them waiting for us, and I don’t want to be waiting around the port forever either.  I was thinking 8:30 or maybe 9:00, but I didn’t know either how long after docking passengers can come off the ship, how long it takes to get luggage etc.

Thank you so much for your insight!

Which ship?  What day of the week?  What time is your flight?

It'll depend on what number you are-- which will be based on the cabin category you are booked into. If you can carry your own luggage down the gangway (which involves no stairs) you can be first off and pierside by 8ish in the morning. If you would like porters to take your luggage ashore then you are subject to the disembarkation times the cruise line assigns to you. 

Most car services take this into consideration and are flexible with it. 

Can you self disembark?  

If not, you need to check with Guest Services early in the cruise to request a low number to ensure your luggage has been unloaded and is waiting for you.  If you don’t get a low number, go back to guest services again.

If if there is any indication of a late arrival, the emergency plan would be to keep your luggage and self disembark.  Moving your luggage to Boleros on deck 4 early would be the strategy to avoid elevator congestion.

Usually Cape Liberty is very efficient, but glitches can happen. Just understand your options and be prepared to deal with them.