Cruise insurance purchase time limit?

Is there a time limit for a cruise already booked to purchase cruise insurance?  I was checking our information for our booked 10/6 cruise and I see for the first time we forgot to purchase insurance.  Final payment is due 7/23 I believe.  🤔

10 minutes ago, coevan said:

use insuremytrip.com, Carnival does not have very good coverage. We use Nationwide cruise insurance

I agree. Do it by final payment. We also use Nationwide. You can get coverage for itinerary changes and more. A good thing to have that time of the year. Hi Karry! 😀

Edited by Jamman54

9 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

I agree. Do it by final payment. Hi Karry! 😀

Is it bad if you paid it off early but haven't bought insurance yet? I have one in December where I haven't booked my hotel or flight yet so I don't know the full insurance amount...but I've paid the cruise off even though final payment isn't until September.

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Is it bad if you paid it off early but haven't bought insurance yet? I have one in December where I haven't booked my hotel or flight yet so I don't know the full insurance amount...but I've paid the cruise off even though final payment isn't until September.

No it isn't. They don't ask if you if you have paid for your cruise, they ask for the final payment due date. In reality you can get insurance right up until you sail, but may not qualify for some coverages.

• Thanks 1

Check you charge card and there offers. Mine has travel insurance. Covers just about everything up to $5,000.00 each. I must book the cruise with it. As any insurance. it does not cover a missed cruise or if you just want to cancel.

12 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Check you charge card and there offers. Mine has travel insurance. Covers just about everything up to $5,000.00 each. I must book the cruise with it. As any insurance. it does not cover a missed cruise or if you just want to cancel.

Do you typically get insurance on top of what your card offers, if they only cover up to $5k? That's not much to cover in terms of medical or evac.

3 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

Do you typically get insurance on top of what your card offers, if they only cover up to $5k? That's not much to cover in terms of medical or evac.

That is per person. As for medical. My medical insurance covers me anywhere in the word. I must pay and then get reimbursed. We do not do cruises longer than 14 days and none are that expensive. We live near the ports and so there is no air fare either. Have no idea what others need. Certainly they must look at there own situation and get the insurance accordingly. Do not recommend going with out insurance.

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

With insuremytrip, you insure by dollar value, so you estimate airfare and hotel. They also allow you to increase coverage after you purchased. 

If you don't need CFAR (cancel for any reason) or pre-existing condition coverage, you can often buy your policy up until a few days (or even 24 hours) before your departure date. I don't get either (mostly insuring for medical/evacuation as those can be very costly expenses) and never buy my policy before final payment is made. A few policies that insure for hurricanes and named storms need to be purchased about 7 days before coverage is effective, so if my cruise is during hurricane season as it often is, I buy a little earlier or really keep a good eye on weather reports