What if RCI needs to cancel a region?

I know that no one can say for sure, but how do Royal act if a region becomes "hot spot" (can't find a better wording)?

If they can't sail in a region, do they offer you to sail on the same ship somewhere else? Do they offer you to change to any other cruise within the same time period or do they just cancel your booking?

I'm asking since we have a cruise in the Persian Gulf from Dubai in December and and as you might know there's some issues with Iran.

3 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

Do they offer you to change to any other cruise within the same time period or do they just cancel your booking?

I'm asking since we have a cruise in the Persian Gulf from Dubai in December and and as you might know there's some issues with Iran.

They would redeploy like they did with Cuba. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

I know that no one can say for sure, but how do Royal act if a region becomes "hot spot" (can't find a better wording)?

If they can't sail in a region, do they offer you to sail on the same ship somewhere else? Do they offer you to change to any other cruise within the same time period or do they just cancel your booking?

You are much braver than I.  I know there are CC members who have done this cruise and hopefully they will answer.  Best Wishes.

38 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

I do understand that part, but what happens to the actual bookings? 

The could cancel the booking and give alternatives, or just skip the hot spot port and substitute another.

If a region becomes unstable most if not all cruise companies will change the ships scheduled itinerary. If the situation becomes extreme and the entire area is considered dangerous the cruise line most likely will change the ships entire itinerary and inform all booked passengers that they have a choice to sail on a revised itinerary or cancel and receive a full refund. This scenario has also shown up in some Caribbean sailings where certain ports were damaged by hurricanes and cruise lines were forced to change itineraries from say an Eastern Caribbean cruise to a Western Caribbean sailing. A former next door neighbor was involved in a situation like this last year. On an Oceania cruise from Athens last year there was some political unrest in Haifa, Israel, there first scheduled port of call. Two hours before the ships scheduled arrival the captain informed passengers that he was concerned about possible problems near the pier. He decided after consultations with Oceania executives that Haifa would be canceled and they would head to there second scheduled port of call at a reduced speed.

We did a Dubai cruise two years ago.  Coming back thru the Straits of Hormuz we had a sea day and whilst sunbathing on top deck we got buzzed at deck level by an Iran costal spotter aircraft. There were senior staff out on deck to reassure passengers. One told my husband that they were checking us out to check we really were just a cruise ship. They were very low, very fast and only a few feet away 

Edited by sgmn

I think if this situation becomes more serious the whole region will be affected and ships will have to redeploy to a completely different area of the world. My guess would be they would keep the ships in Europe for the winter if they could? 

The examples already mentioned are where just one or two ports are affected, these ships are home ported in Dubai or Abu Dhabi for the season which are impossible to get to without going through the Strait of Hormuz.

If anything happens I imagine they would give the option of cancelling with a full refund or cruising on the ship wherever it ends up instead.

We've cruised in this area of the world a few times, it's a great winter destination for us Europeans so really hope things will get sorted out peacefully.

8 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

We have sailed on Royal a couple of times from Dubai without any problems.

Dubai,Abu Dhabi and Oman are the ports visited and they are friendly with Iran so hopefully everything will be okay.

30 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have sailed on Royal a couple of times from Dubai without any problems.

Dubai,Abu Dhabi and Oman are the ports visited and they are friendly with Iran so hopefully everything will be okay.

We live in a different world today and at this time anything can happen. I would actually be looking at other options just in case.

9 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We live in a different world today and at this time anything can happen. I would actually be looking at other options just in case.

We enjoyed our Emirates cruises and our JS on Vision in February 2017 and balcony cabin on Brilliance in January 2012 were both very well priced as are the current Emirates pricing but I agree with you this area is a bit worrying at the moment.

17 minutes ago, Ashland said:

There's no other options for us, the cruise ends on Dec 23 and I work the 24th. That's why we picked this cruise, no jet-lag and flights that make it possible to use few vaccation days.

If we would sail in the Caribbean we would be adding two days just in traveling time.

10 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

There's no other options for us, the cruise ends on Dec 23 and I work the 24th. That's why we picked this cruise, no jet-lag and flights that make it possible to use few vaccation days.

If we would sail in the Caribbean we would be adding two days just in traveling time.

I certainly hope it works out for you...At this point you'll have to take it one step at a time...knowing RCI will opt for the security and safety of their passengers as their first priority.

Time will tell how it turns out. I wouldn't be happy if they cancel but at the same time, so far this year we have done 7nts on Harmony, 14nts on Independence and have 10nts on Radiance in September. If we would miss a cruise, this year is the year to do it.

Our Vision cruise to Dubai was one of our most memorable.  They hired additional security, all wore black, that walked around the ship.  In addition, we had "Pirate Drills"...where all passengers where required to go inside the interior of the ship...yes, we were standing next to sunbathers covered with suntan lotion.  The ship's lights were also down to a minimum at night for less visibility.

Getting a cruise cancelled is not fun...however, Royal Caribbean was extremely generous when they do cancel or change itinerary.  We were on the Navigator (stabilizer cut a hole in the hull...long story.) and because of a change in itinerary, Royal gave the current cruisers 25% obc, and 25% FCC based on your cabin.  Royal also offered passengers on the next sailing full refunds if they want to cancel and 25% FCC if I remember correctly.

2 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

We are on that same time frame next December.  Arabian Coastal. Sailing there via Suez as well. I've never given it a thought, looking forward to returning 

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Getting a cruise cancelled is not fun...however, Royal Caribbean was extremely generous when they do cancel or change itinerary.  We were on the Navigator (stabilizer cut a hole in the hull...long story.) and because of a change in itinerary, Royal gave the current cruisers 25% obc, and 25% FCC based on your cabin.  Royal also offered passengers on the next sailing full refunds if they want to cancel and 25% FCC if I remember correctly.

I think this varies.  We had a Grandeur cruise cancelled for a drydock [March 2019].  We got 200 OBC.  They price protected us on 5 cruises.  However, those cruises were almost sold out when they announced the cancellation.  . . . so we really did not have any price protection. Everyone we knew who changed rather than just take a refund had to accept a lower cabin than they originally booked. [at the same price]  I did not feel they were generous.  

The classic was they were going to take away a promo OBC I had because I changed my cruise. 🤨 My TA got that fixed.  

10 hours ago, sgmn said:

We did a Dubai cruise two years ago.  Coming back thru the Straits of Hormuz we had a sea day and whilst sunbathing on top deck we got buzzed at deck level by an Iran costal spotter aircraft. There were senior staff out on deck to reassure passengers. One told my husband that they were checking us out to check we really were just a cruise ship. They were very low, very fast and only a few feet away 

Common in many different areas. Have been buzzed by Military Aircraft and Ships going back 30+ yrs. Though actually less in resent yrs. Will see more Drones now.. Kinda Kool, jet flying by at 500ft...

18 hours ago, Snit13 said:

You are much braver than I.  I know there are CC members who have done this cruise and hopefully they will answer.  Best Wishes.

We have done the Dubai itinerary 4 times and have b2b booked for January.  We must be very “brave” !?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

Santa? Is it you? 🎅🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

it certainly does vary,for dropping Halifax from Anthems' April 2020 repo TA cruise for weather concerns(???) & leaving us with places we have already been & loads of sea days they have offered zero compensation,£150 to change to another cruise or cancel & lose £500 deposit each.

59 minutes ago, snaefell said:

it certainly does vary,for dropping Halifax from Anthems' April 2020 repo TA cruise for weather concerns(???) & leaving us with places we have already been & loads of sea days they have offered zero compensation,£150 to change to another cruise or cancel & lose £500 deposit each.

👎🤑