Worst Burger on the Planet

crockea

On 7/12/2019 at 4:07 PM, crockea said:

All we could assume is maybe they had a problem getting the regular meat from their vendor and had to deal with whatever PR had for them.  Also, I do not recall the menu saying it was lamb.  I think it was just really bad beef.

Or was it soylent  green?   

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

Luminae actually has two burgers, one is a lamb burger, but the other is beef (supposedly Kobe beef)  I like the lamb one but the only way we eat the beef burger is well done, otherwise it truly does have too much gristle in it to enjoy.  

Again, Kobe beef burgers are fiction; they don’t exist. 

15 hours ago, Gonzo70 said:

Again, Kobe beef burgers are fiction; they don’t exist. 

They do exist but at a very high price on land in Japan or elsewhere in high priced restaurants.  Even then you might not get actual Kobe beef so need to be careful.

18 hours ago, zitsky said:

Is there any place on the Equinox where I can get a burger cooked to order?  I prefer medium rare.  Not something for every day but once in a while is ok.

No one answered.  I assume all burgers are well done.

18 hours ago, zitsky said:

Is there any place on the Equinox where I can get a burger cooked to order?  I prefer medium rare.  Not something for every day but once in a while is ok.

We have at the mast/pool grill. We had to wait but no biggie.  🍔

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

No one answered.  I assume all burgers are well done.

Due to the dangers of eating rare or raw meat- perhaps the ships do not like to make burgers med rare- also they are thin.  But they do prepare steaks med and rare if you like in a specialty restaurant.

4 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Due to the dangers of eating rare or raw meat- perhaps the ships do not like to make burgers med rare- also they are thin.  But they do prepare steaks med and rare if you like in a specialty restaurant.

I'll bring a meat grinder.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

The wait staff in Luminae will ask you how you want your Luminae burger.

Blu will serve beef tartare

The menus do have a warning which I assume is a US legal requirement regarding the dangers of eating undercooked beef and seafood etc. 

5 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Good thing I don't sail Celebrity for the burgers...

4 pages about the OP and a burger 7 months ago...  🤣

What would you prefer that we talk about?

Btw, if you eat raw meat, drink wine.  It will kill any germs.  Right?  Right?

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

Just now, zitsky said:

What would you prefer that we talk about?

The OP's profile lists HAL as their fav, and then RCCL and Carnival...

that they are complaining about a burger they supposedly ate 7 months ago on a Celebrity ship speaks of troll 🤣

Their signature doesn't even list the past sailing

Thats why 4 pages on a "burger" from 7 mos ago is funny

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Btw, if you eat raw meat, drink wine.  It will kill any germs.  Right?  Right?

Absolutely, we do it all the time, both on land and at sea. That's why the beverage package is so important.😋

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

They do exist but at a very high price on land in Japan or elsewhere in high priced restaurants.  Even then you might not get actual Kobe beef so need to be careful.

Please name one restaurant that serves a true Kobe beef burger (hint, there are not any).

21 hours ago, zitsky said:

Be aware that the meat is not freshly ground; as such it is a bit risky (re e-coli and salmonella) to have non freshly ground beef of questionable quality and sourced from an unknown number of cows not cooked through. A medium rare  burger from good quality, freshly ground meat at a trusted land based venue is delightful, but not something I would consider doing on a cruise ship. Very limited upside (as poor quality beef does not taste better medium rare like good quality beef does; in fact it often tastes worse that way) and some real health risk involved.

3 hours ago, Fogfog said:

The OP's profile lists HAL as their fav, and then RCCL and Carnival...

that they are complaining about a burger they supposedly ate 7 months ago on a Celebrity ship speaks of troll 🤣

Their signature doesn't even list the past sailing

Thats why 4 pages on a "burger" from 7 mos ago is funny

A troll?  Serious?  LOL.  No.  This was my first Celebrity cruise and I don't come on these boards much more any more.  And I must've forgotten if I'd posted this already.  Certainly not intending to offend the brand loyal. 

6 minutes ago, crockea said:

A troll?  Serious?  LOL.  No.  This was my first Celebrity cruise and I don't come on these boards much more any more.  And I must've forgotten if I'd posted this already.  Certainly not intending to offend the brand loyal. 

Aha!  We got you!  Only a troll would come back and defend himself.

Ok I'm just kidding.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Isn't Wagyu what you are more likely to find?

Yes and no; a restaurant can call any beef "Wagyu" as it is not a regulated term. It is illegal in the US for a restaurant to call something Kobe beef - unless it truly is Kobe. Only a tiny number of restaurants serve genuine Kobe in the US, it is NEVER used as a burger - aside from possibly a small portion of trimmings mixed in with leaner meat (though even this would be extremely rare and would never happen on a cruise ship or a non super high end restaurant).

Expect to pay about $30 per/ounce for Kobe beef. Despite the extreme fattiness of Kobe beef, it literally melts in your mouth. It is extremely rich (like butter) and generally served in small portions on a tasting menu at an upscale restaurant on the rare occasions you see it in the US, or by-the-ounce at an upscale steakhouse. You will never see a giant bone-in piece of Kobe in the US.

Wagyu means "Japanese cow." Kobe is Wagyu as is other beef from Japan (i.e. Miyazaki beef - which is far more common in the US than Kobe; still really expensive and much more marbled than USDA prime). Some Japanese cows came to the US (and other countries) and here they are cross-bred with Angus cows to create beef more marbled than USDA prime, but nothing like actual 100% Japanese beef; you might see a burger made from this. However sometimes Wagyu is used as an advertising gimmick to try and boost sales and/or fetch a higher price even if the beef has no genuine link to Japanese cattle - as such you have to be careful when ordering a Wagyu burger or steak at a restaurant as it could range from beef that would cost $3 per/pound at a grocery store to genuine 100% Japanese beef (as well as anywhere in between these extremes).

Taco Bell could use their regular beef in a burrito and call it a Wagyu burrito; they could not however (legally) call it a Kobe beef burrito (but could use any beef they want and call it a "Kobe Style" beef burrito or an "American Kobe" beef burrito - as these are both meaningless, unregulated terms, like "Wagyu.").

Edited by Gonzo70
  • Thanks 1