Recent whale watching experience? Is it worth it?

jus10cruise

Does anyone have any recent experience or suggestions on a whale watching tour? The other thread is pretty old so not sure if things have changed.

I realize Dominica isn't the same as Alaska but do you think it's a waste of time and money? 

I'm a bit concerned with booking through the cruise as many times you feel more like livestock. Maybe I'm wrong??

I'd appreciate your experience or opinions!

• 1 month later...

We did the whale watching ship's tour in Dec. 2018.  We did see lots of dolphins and 2 whales.  The boat's crew spent a lot of time trying to find whales, but we finally did.  It was crowded, but they stopped the boat when we found the whales and made sure we all got time and space to see the whales  

We had a weird experience in the beginning of the tour.  There was a dead body floating in the water, and we had to stop to report it to their authorities.  Toward the end of the excursion we found out the  body was that of a person who had epilepsy, and the locals had been searching for him for over a wee k.  As upsetting as the experience was, at least our trip helped that person's family know what happened to him...  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Quick follow up, in case anyone else in interested in the future.

I ended up booking whale watching through the cruise line (Princess) and took the tour last week. I had a really good time, we saw sperm whales about 4 or 5 different times throughout the day. There were several whales each time and they stayed on the surface for a good amount of time. 

The boat was able to get very close to the whales and it was great. Although they do not guarantee you'll see anything the captain said they normally see something 80% of the time.

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...