Unusual Buffet Combination

denmarks

PB&P sandwich.  Peanut butter and dill pickle.   Love them - particularly at home with organic, unsalted, no sugar peanut butter on toasted oat bread.   Regular peanut butter is so cloyingly sweet. 😠

Edited by Bookish Angel

I can't see the point of putting weird combinations on food on the one plate. The flavours would clash and would not be pleasant to eat. If I want different foods that don't go together I treat them as separate courses, finishing one before going up to the buffet for the next.

• Like 2

Good thread to show how few people READ and COMPREHEND the question. 🙂

Many years ago I spent time at Holloman AFB, outside Alamagordo, NM.

There was a Chinese, American, Mexican restaurant on the way into town.  They had a discount buffet one night a week.

So I had sweet and sour pork, fried rice, an enchilada, fried chicken, and macaroni salad. 😄

Oh, and BTW, not eating at the buffet does not make you a superior person. 🙂

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

Congee and a strip of bacon.  I love bacon, but it's bad for me in so many ways that I limit myself to a single piece on occasion.  So I add it to my usual congee breakfast every now and then. 

Kind of funny.  Folks around me commonly crumble bacon in congee. I admit I do the same with oatmeal.  One of those spice of life things I guess.  😀  

On 7/13/2019 at 3:23 PM, ldubs said:

Kind of funny.  Folks around me commonly crumble bacon in congee. I admit I do the same with oatmeal.  One of those spice of life things I guess.  😀  

Well, in Scotland it's usual to take your porridge with salt, so crumbled salty bacon's not so different! 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I once tried biscuits with sausage gravy - a dish which seems common at roadside eateries throughout the US South ... truly beyond explanation ...

image.thumb.png.7c149f3555aacd36c22a982f6704d63b.png

Not buffet, but the fancy Brunch Extravaganza.  I saw a man whose plate contained a lot of assorted food, topped with a gooey cinnamon bun, which he then topped with crab legs.  It kind of put me off ever attending one again.

• Haha 1

On 7/13/2019 at 6:27 AM, calliopecruiser said:

Congee and a strip of bacon.  I love bacon, but it's bad for me in so many ways that I limit myself to a single piece on occasion.  So I add it to my usual congee breakfast every now and then. 

Here are some other ideas for congee:

https://www.chowhound.com/post/add-congee-535384?page=2

More like this:

Instant Pot Congee | cookandsavor.com

So I'd say the skies the limit.

Edited by clo

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I once tried biscuits with sausage gravy - a dish which seems common at roadside eateries throughout the US South ... truly beyond explanation ...

I grew up in the South and we had biscuits and we had brown gravy with country fried steak.  But we never had what you describe but I see it at dang near every casual and not so casual spot.

Just now, denmarks said:

It was something on a shingle.

Yes, I know.  Mother served it to us.  But would never say it being the proper Southern lady.  Creamed chipped beef on toast.  It was a milk gravy no meat.