Cheapest "luxury" cruise lines

zltm089

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

TC....Crystal has learned to not sail Alaska every year because it is challenging to fill a luxury ship that size year over year.  In fact, when it pulled out of Alaska for a few years and returned it did fill the ships quite well but if they repeat it too often they are not going to fill the ship year over year.

In terms of your sailing you are late in the season as is the final one that comes after your cruise.

The peak time is July and August for Alaska for several reasons and that includes weather and also when school is out for the summer.

Crystal will be returning to Alaska on Ocean Vessels in 2021 and 2022 but is taking 2020 off from Alaska and I suspect for the reason I mentioned.

Keith

Keith - thanks so much for that explanation.  It makes sense.  Even though we are sailing after Labor Day, the ship is full (or so I hear).  In terms of weather, it will be rainy but, at least for this sailing, the destination is really the ship.

TC you are very welcome.  I think part of the reason to your ship having more guests now is the price reductions  I believe you mentioned that it was reduced twice.  This certainly helps fill the ships but might not be so good for the bottom line relative to itineraries where there are no price reductions.  Crystal like many of the luxury lines has learned though better to pro-actively do things to increase occupancy on sailings that are initially not selling so well.

I hope you enjoy your first Crystal Cruise.

Keith

• 4 years later...
On 7/14/2019 at 12:54 AM, knotheadusc said:

I recommend looking for good sales and then "joining the club".  My husband and I took our first SeaDream cruise in 2010, when we were not nearly as well off as we are today.  They had a five night cruise going at a cheap guaranty fare.  We jumped on it, and were quickly hooked.  While we were onboard, we pre-booked our next cruise and got a 15% savings for an "open booking".  

We did the open booking a couple more times before we started sailing on Hebridean Island Cruises, which is truly all inclusive, as in, you don't even give them a credit card when you embark.  Again... we found relatively cheap cruises the first time-- did two five night back to back cruises for our 10th wedding anniversary at the end of the season.  It was a perfectly awesome trip, for the most part, despite it being November in Scotland.

After that, we were in the "club" and started getting access to offers that made cruising with them more affordable.  Hebridean automatically gives repeat cruisers a slight discount and access to inside sales.  Of course, it's also a very expensive cruise line that caters to people who want to cruise in Scotland and the surrounding areas, but when they say all inclusive, they mean it.  We have never so much as had a bill at the end of the cruise.

I would imagine "joining the club" would work with other lines, too.  

Thanks for sharing 

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2019 at 3:09 PM, knotheadusc said:

Totally agree.  For instance, although some people who have never sailed on Hebridean Island Cruises think the Princess isn't "luxurious", they'd be dead wrong.  I can't wait to board in a couple of weeks for the excellent food, incredibly attentive service, included excursions and alcohol, unusual itineraries, no tipping, and comfortable staterooms.  Queen Elizabeth II has sailed her twice.  She only carries 49 passengers.  I used to be a diehard SeaDream fan, but our last three cruises have been Hebridean, and I think the experience compares very favorably.  But most Americans haven't heard of Hebridean.  Fine with me.

that is maybe the one and only cruise company, I am afraid to book 

On 7/25/2019 at 3:37 AM, Travelcat2 said:

I "get" where wripro is coming from.  In the U.S., there is four luxury cruise lines that are sailed on the most ....... Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea.

Hapag Lloyd's luxury ships (Europa 2 for instance) may be "what many consider to be the top luxury cruise ship in the world" but people in North America barely know about them.  What we do know is that very few guests (usually under 30 per cruise) speak English and children are welcome and catered to (again, not something that the "big four" luxury lines cater to).  For these reasons, I would not sail on Europa 2 if it were free.

Ritz Carlton to me is a joke (sorry but this is my honest feeling).  It may be wonderful but they are catering to high level hotel guests (giving them benefits, etc.).  IMHO, a luxury hotel and luxury cruise line have little in common.  

In terms of this thread, "cheap" and "luxury" do not belong in the same sentence.

I am stilll verry happy I had the courage to go and book a Hapag Lloyd cruise on the Ms Europa in 2007, I was sick and tired of SB and together with SS they both became very unfriendly to singles . 

16 hours ago, vistaman said:

that is maybe the one and only cruise company, I am afraid to book 

I don't know why.  It's my favorite line, and I've also done cruises on Regent, SeaDream, and Royal Caribbean.  If Hebridean Island Cruises didn't just stay in one area, I'd probably never book a different line.  But I guess different strokes for different folks...

• 2 months later...

I am not sure if Ponant is considered luxury but I took my first one last fall and when they offer the no single supplement that could be an option. The food was really good and the tropical expedition plus small size of the ship made it really special. Now, the pool was basically useless (too hot and tiny) but we sawm in the sea/snorkeled so it wasnt a big deal. 

• Thanks 1