To Balcony or Not to Balcony

Cja921

I would not pay that much for a balcony.  We can usually find a nice place on the ship to relax with plenty of ocean views.  We rarely use a balcony when we get it.  I usually book inside cabins when we cruise during school breaks and the prices are high and a balcony cabin when the cruise prices are low.  It's nice to have, but I can take it or leave it.  Some people practically live on their balconies, so for them it's worth it.  That's a lot to pay for a balcony and you can use that money elsewhere.

The last balcony we booked was on a NCL ship on Cyber Monday probably 7 years ago.   The price was really low and it had $500 OBC attached.  We take 4 or 5 trips a year in inside cabins and there’s no way we would cut that to 1 or 2 so we could have a door to open that lets all the A/C air out in 5 seconds. There’s a balcony rail all the way around the ship on one of the top decks.  Some of RCL’s Vision class ships have a small, quiet area off the Solarium that is just like a balcony only wider and with more comfortable chairs.  Nope, we’ll make do with inside and spend our money coming back.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't be upgrading to a balcony. We love a porthole room or oceanview because we spend very little time in the room. We enjoy being out where there's always stuff going on, listening to entertainment, enjoying the outside decks or wandering the various indoor venues. Next cruises will both be an indoor room to save even more money for other activities/excursions. 

Personally I find no value in oceanview rooms unless they happen to be larger for not much more money. Maybe it was because my oceanview rooms were all on lower decks, but the view wasn't anything to look at (and for me, whatever material they used for the window to be watertight and shatterproof made me seasick when I looked out it while moving) if you ask me. We looked out it the first day then kept the curtains closed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk