Pockets on Ladies' Pants

Why are clothing manufacturers removing the pockets on ladies' pants?  Many times when I'm shopping for pants or jeans, I see that the front pockets are either imitation or sewn up.

To me, this is a major inconvenience, because I need pockets for my key, loose change or a tissue.  I don't think that pockets increase hip size, if not overstuffed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

front pockets are either imitation or sewn up.

If they are real pockets, sewn closed, they can be opened up once you own them.  I suspect they sew them closed to protect from damage by careless shoppers.

As to the imitation ones -- again just my suspicion that it somehow reduces manufacturing costs.  If there's a saving of, e.g. $0.02 per pair, multiplied by 1,000s of pairs, it helps the manufacturer's bottom line.

I refuse to buy pocketless pants.

• Like 3

I too do not like pockets on my pants, especially in the back. I sew them closed and then trim away as much of the pocket as I can to eliminate the extra fabric. That said, I did like the pockets on the pants I usually wear to walk in the morning, that is until my phone got too big for the picket and I was afraid it would fall out!

Sharon

I prefer to have at least a small pocket in my "good" pants & dress pants.  For jeans or excursion pants, I like to have lots of pockets.  Keys or key card … iPhone … tissue … pedometer (never leave home without it!) … other items as needed to keep the weight out of my purse or pack

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

I also refuse to buy pants without pockets.  

So, since you did start this thread, have you been able to find pants with pockets or have you switched to dresses and skirts? I'm confused by this added post....

• Like 1

I'm "bi" on this one.  I don't by pants by pockets/no pockets.  My work pants largely have no pockets, but I have 2 new pair that do have front pockets.  Jeans? absolutely must have pockets since I need someplace to put my car keys.  

• Like 1

I am in the "I LOVE POCKETS" camp.:classic_biggrin:..… I think out of all the pants in my closet, 99% of them have pockets. I do

have 2 dressier pairs of slacks that don't have them but  normally I look for pockets when buying them.

• Like 1

I agree that the lack of pockets in some cases is to smooth out the silhouette.  Especially when the pants are super stretchy.  I have actually sewed pockets up for this reason.  The pants fit closely and the pockets stuck out.

I was discussing this thread with my husband over lunch the other day.  He was bewildered, being a man and having pockets in all his pants since he was in kindergarten.  So, I explained the anatomy differences, and told him that wearing pants with pockets for a woman is like having THREE layers of fabric added to each hip; like wearing grocery sacks on my hips!  He got it, then.

The solution, and why the women's garment makers haven't figured this out in the last 150 years, is the way men's pockets are made.  They are usually a different, MUCH lighter, fabric.  Kind of like cotton lining fabric.  Why don't they do that for women??????

I always topstitch across the top of the pocket opening, and then trim it up the side seams and across the top from the inside.  If they are side pockets only, I stitch them up the side seams and get rid of them.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:36 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I prefer no pockets; it gives a smoother line. I never keep things in my pockets -- always carry some kind of bag, even if it's a small wristlet.

Ditto

I actually look for clothing without pockets.  I esp hate a chest pocket on a button down shirt.  On pants, if they have pockets that are stitched closed, I just leave them that way.  

Edited by CutieKakes

On 7/18/2019 at 5:44 PM, CutieKakes said:

Ditto

I actually look for clothing without pockets.  I esp hate a chest pocket on a button down shirt.  On pants, if they have pockets that are stitched closed, I just leave them that way.  

I don't need or want pockets on my shirts, just on pants.  Whereas, my husband does want shirt pockets.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 10:35 AM, Hoyaheel said:

So, since you did start this thread, have you been able to find pants with pockets or have you switched to dresses and skirts? I'm confused by this added post....

Since I usually wear pants, jeans, or Bermuda shorts, I look for items with pockets.  No pockets-------no buy.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:05 AM, pcur said:

The solution, and why the women's garment makers haven't figured this out in the last 150 years, is the way men's pockets are made.  They are usually a different, MUCH lighter, fabric.  Kind of like cotton lining fabric.  Why don't they do that for women??????

I definitely have women's pants with pockets that are a different fabric from the pant. So those options are out there.....[also, any man who carries keys every day in that sort of pocket will tell you about the holes that develop pretty quickly, but that's a different  complaint so I'll move on....]

On 7/22/2019 at 9:33 AM, Hoyaheel said:

I definitely have women's pants with pockets that are a different fabric from the pant. So those options are out there.....[also, any man who carries keys every day in that sort of pocket will tell you about the holes that develop pretty quickly, but that's a different  complaint so I'll move on....]

That's a big complaint my husband has.  He has had to have pockets repaired because of holes made by keys etc.  Manufacturers need to use stronger material.

• 3 weeks later...

Duluth NOGA Pants have a small hidden pocket in the waistband that can hold maybe a driver's license or small keys, and another zipper pocket on the thigh that is as wide and tall as my phone.  Sometimes I walk the dog in them.  Sometimes I wear them with heels and a dressy top and you wouldn't know they were casual pants... You can get straight leg (which is wider at the bottom but doesn't hug you like leggings), slim fit (which I have recently discovered and especially love -- narrow at the bottom but not like leggings) and leggings style.  

BetaBrand has all kinds of pants with hidden pockets.  I bought some of the travel pants.  They look and feel more like jersey leggings but they are baggier.  More casual.  But they do have dress slacks also.  In any case, the travel pants have two different pockets built into the waistband -- one is horizontal and can hold your phone or a passport, and the other is a small one.

Neither is especially inexpensive, but I wear the NOGA pants enough to make them worth the purchase.

• Like 2