Suggestions for hard side spinner luggage

Victory!

OP, consider this:  it is much better to look for the specific bags you need in each size range than to buy a matched set. No one cares whether your luggage is matchy-matchy. 

I have several different pieces of luggage, each one carefully considered for a specific need. For example, I have a carry-on for international travel, and one that I used for work-based domestic travel. I have a skinny wheeled duffel that's great for European train travel and one larger (24" not mammoth sized) suitcase that I use for cruises where I need a different mix of clothing.

I travel on my own quite a bit and all my luggage is lightweight and I can handle it when packed. I prefer soft-sided bags with two sturdy wheels. Not a fan of spinners -- cobblestones eat spinners for breakfast. But what works for me is irrelevant:  think about the kind of traveling YOU do and pick bags that work.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

OP, consider this:  it is much better to look for the specific bags you need in each size range than to buy a matched set. No one cares whether your luggage is matchy-matchy. 

Common sense - it is rare that one type suits all needs.  My carry-on is hard-side, very light, with spinner wheels. It needs to be easy to move through airports and stations and light enough to carry easily over rough areas.

Larger bags - medium and large-  (when trip requires more than a carry on) need to be sturdy, with heavy duty wheels which will not be easily damaged by expected rough surfaces.

Any bag which will be checked needs to be obviously marked to be readily (and unquestionably) identified as yours.  The marking should be very obvious - not so much for your eyes, but so that no one else could think it is theirs. Lots of people have bits of pink (or whatever color) ribbon. You need something almost painfully unique (I have twice experienced people grabbing my bag off the carousel because it sort of looked like theirs - once, I caught up with her just as she was leaving the airport terminal at St. Martin, the other time when he/she just abandoned it by the exit door at LGA)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Great minds think alike! All of my luggage is hard-side Samsonite -- well, except for my soft-side garment bag (also Samsonite). However, each piece is from a different line, and they were all purchased at different times. That includes my vintage (45 years old) train case, that travels with me everywhere!

15 hours ago, Underwatr said:

If you're a Costco member they have a 2-piece Samsonite hard-side spinner set on sale this month (around $139 if memory serves). I opted for a Samsonite soft-side spinner set for about the same price. I haven't verified the carry-on's size vs. airline requirements.

I figure the risk of a wheel being broken off is mitigated by Costco's generous satisfaction guarantee. After our last cruise we decided we needed the spinner wheels.

I just bought this set at Costco myself. The reviews were mostly 4/5 stars and I figured with Costco's return policy it would be a win/win. I havent used the set to fly, but I did have an unexpected chance to use the small one last weekend. It seemed to work well. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Those overhead bins occupy space in the aircraft which would be wasted if they were not there.  The aisle has to have enough headroom for people to walk, but that height is not needed over the seats -those bins are very useful.  The only problem with them is that unthinking passengers either trundle on bags which are too large to fit properly or are too heavy for them to hoist up. I cannot count the times some petite little thing batted her over-mascared lids as she asked me to “help” (meaning do all her lifting).

The gate agents should not only check the size of the bags, they should require passengers to lift them over their heads - if they can’t, they should be sent back to the check in desk.

I like the bins - there just aren’t enough - possibly because people do not understand the meaning of ONE carry-on bag, any more than they grasp the fact that “carry-on” means they should be able to carry it.  

Don’t get rid of the bins, just don’t sell tickets to stupid or selfish people.

My joint issues preclude me from lifting more than a pound or two above my shoulders.  They also preclude me from packing the kitchen sink.  Not all of us are stupid or selfish.  My current fav piece for carry on is smaller than max allowed and squishy so that the oversized one  can still fit

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

You need something almost painfully unique

My teeny-tiny, now 40 y.o. daughter, was given luggage tags that said "my clothes won't fit you."

9 minutes ago, spookwife said:

My joint issues preclude me from lifting more than a pound or two above my shoulders.  They also preclude me from packing the kitchen sink.  Not all of us are stupid or selfish.  My current fav piece for carry on is smaller than max allowed and squishy so that the oversized one  can still fit

And you can travel with just two pounds worth of luggage?   Petite is not the word.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spookwife said:

I'll help you load them in the overheads any time.  No worries.  

On 7/13/2019 at 9:28 PM, FlyerTalker said:

You've obviously never been a road warrior who lives out of a carry-on.  Because the time spent checking and waiting for bags makes for lost work productivity.

Also, since airlines will not accept responsibility for loss or damage to electronics and cameras, sometimes that overhead is needed for the things airlines won't check.

You mean those road warriors who most people call "bin hogs" - those who put their carry on AND their rolling  briefcase both in the overhead and scream at you if you try to move one of them??? 😉

I've said before - having to drag around people's luggage daily at the hotel, I HATE spinners!!!  Awful on the carpet, they actually slow me down.  I much prefer 2-wheelers - they follow me as fast as I can go!   I'm non-committal on the hard/soft thing.  I had hard when that was all companies made - got an American Tourister blue suitcase in 1968 for my trip back to my brother's wedding.  It went to the Salvation Army in about 1980.  Been a soft bag person ever since.  I haven't had a bag break, rip or explode on me.    

On the 4-wheel carryons - I've seen more of them not able to fit in the overhead because the wheels stick up too much and the overhead door can't close.  With a 2-wheeler, you can put it it wheels first if you need to stuff it...

55 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

You mean those road warriors who most people call "bin hogs" - those who put their carry on AND their rolling  briefcase both in the overhead and scream at you if you try to move one of them??? 😉

Not one of those.  I use the area under the seat for my personal item.  And I've called out other folks in F who think it's their right to have complete leg room even with multiple bags.

57 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I've said before - having to drag around people's luggage daily at the hotel, I HATE spinners!!!  Awful on the carpet, they actually slow me down.  I much prefer 2-wheelers - they follow me as fast as I can go!

Spinners work where there is:  1)  Smooth, hard surface without bumps, expansion plates or anything to disturb the "flow",  2) A load where the center of gravity is low enough so you can effectively push with the handle, 3) You don't mind losing carrying capacity due to a smaller luggage compartment (because the wheels take up more of the overall dimension).

Put them on carpet and they lose out on #1.  Even more so if you have to traverse pavement that's less than perfect.  Poorly designed handles and poor packing kills you with #2.  And if your load needs are more for volume than weight, the penalty for #3 can hurt.

Yes, you can roll some spinners on two wheels, but then I'll just take the two-wheeler for the better use of overall space.  The one big advantage is that you don't have to lift/leverage the load to move the bag.

My Hartman and Tumi two-wheel carry-ons keep getting the bulk of my usage, even though I have a spinner carry-on.  That one is the one sitting in the closet serving as a storage box.

IME if you (as a couple) have more than two full-size suitcases, having spinners among them is very helpful in any situation where you must queue with all of your luggage - immigration and airport check-in among those situations.

To date I had resisted spinners for the reasons given in this thread, but disembarkation from our last transatlantic crossing was just too much hassle without them. 

12 hours ago, Underwatr said:

IME if you (as a couple) have more than two full-size suitcases, having spinners among them is very helpful in any situation where you must queue with all of your luggage - immigration and airport check-in among those situations.

To date I had resisted spinners for the reasons given in this thread, but disembarkation from our last transatlantic crossing was just too much hassle without them. 

Yeap, two spinners (if the handles are designed right) can be handled with one hand.  

However, some 2 wheelers offer the option of a strap to hook a second or third bag, and drag the train along.

On 7/14/2019 at 11:56 AM, SRF said:

I buy my bags from eBags.

I am currently using Delsey, but a line they no longer make.  I prefer a clamshell like bag, so I don't have to take things out, just open and use from the bag. 

I was just on eBags, and Delsey has a new bag that is similar to the ones I have.

Delsey Cruise Lite (evens fits with this forum).  25" and 29" versions.

https://www.ebags.com/product/delsey/cruise-lite-hardside-20-29-checked-expandable-suitcase/377584?productid=10803721

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SRF said:

However, some 2 wheelers offer the option of a strap to hook a second or third bag, and drag the train along.

Yes, I've done that with my 2-wheel luggage. The problem arises in a "cattle chute" queue area when the queue does a 180 turn at the end of a row. The train of bags doesn't easily turn sharply (and God forbid you've gotten ambitious and made a train of 3 or more bags). I always seem to have one bag that decides not to cooperate and flops over while I try to turn.

I've used  Tumi for years, but their pricing has really gotten up there, and it's time to potentially retire my faithful companion.  So I just invested in a set up AWAY luggage.  A medium and a small carry on.  Between them and our "small personal items" DH and I should be set for almost every trip we are considering over the next 10 years.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Some seats have no under seat storage.  darlin'.

Okay, if you have a bulkhead seat we'll give YOU an overhead bin.  I've read the suggestion of having a divider in the bin for each assigned seat.  Big enough for one 'legal' carryon.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Okay, if you have a bulkhead seat we'll give YOU an overhead bin.  I've read the suggestion of having a divider in the bin for each assigned seat.  Big enough for one 'legal' carryon.

It doesn't even have to be bulkhead.  Some seats have the IFE box under them which takes up to 70% of the space.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ducklite said:

It doesn't even have to be bulkhead.  Some seats have the IFE box under them which takes up to 70% of the space.

We'll let the FA take care of those 🙂

10 minutes ago, clo said:

We'll let the FA take care of those 🙂

That's not an acceptable alternative, because they can't just snap their fingers and make space appear.  As long as the traveling public is told that they need to carry on their batteries and lighters, and not check fragile or valuable articles, the airlines need to supply in cabin storage.  

I'd also say that you are forgetting the ADA requirements, which require in cabin stowage space for mobility devices such as crutches, canes, and walkers as well as in cabin stowage for items such as nebulizers and CPAP machines--which don't count against the carry on allowance.  

23 hours ago, slidergirl said:

First of all, it's unlikely I'll become Czarina of the Universe.  But, yes, that's exactly what I mean.  If no one abused the mostly unenforced rules there would be plenty of room.  IMneverHO.

PS: If you think as CoU that my airplane rule would be tough, you should hear what I have planned for professional sports 🙂 LOL.

21 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I guess you had me at a couple traveling with more than two full-size suitcases...

I just don't pack that way. Even on my longest trips, I can pack in a 24-25" suitcase and one small carry-on of the type that fits under an airline seat (and handily sits atop my larger bag when I have to tote them).

• Like 1