Power Outage NYC

Juvesgirl

Leaving tomorrow (Sunday) on NCL Escape out of NYC. Widespread power outage in NYC near where pier is located. Not sure if this impacts the pier and, if so, whether or not they have a generator. This may be a stupid question, but do folks think this will impact embarkation?

41 minutes ago, Juvesgirl said:

Leaving tomorrow (Sunday) on NCL Escape out of NYC. Widespread power outage in NYC near where pier is located. Not sure if this impacts the pier and, if so, whether or not they have a generator. This may be a stupid question, but do folks think this will impact embarkation?

The pier is in the outage area. It the outage continues it probably will affect embarkation.  

A347BB1A-8B04-43E3-8722-EB40AAF4412F.jpeg

Edited by Charles4515

Hi Juvesgirl,

I hope all goes well with your cruise on the Escape out of NYC tomorrow.....once your onboard and enjoying a beverage of your choice would it be possible to see if the best bartender in the world " Ships A hoy" is still working the 5 O'clock somewhere bar outside on the Waterfront and if so could you ask if he will stay on the Escape thru the Fall ?

My family and I had the pleasure of meeting him last April while on a 7 day Bahamas cruise out of NYC..He was amazing and will do the escape again because of him and that great ship, thinking about Bermuda out of NYC in Sept or October...Thank you in advance..

18 minutes ago, shof515 said:

The ship will have power via its engine. The terminal should have a generator

Maybe the terminal has a generator. If the outage continues that whole area is going to be disrupted. Traffic lights will be out.  Hopefully the outage will be over soon. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

The pier is in the outage area. It the outage continues it probably will affect embarkation.  

A347BB1A-8B04-43E3-8722-EB40AAF4412F.jpeg

Thanks!! I was looking for a map like this. Appreciate you sharing!

34 minutes ago, shof515 said:

The ship will have power via its engine. The terminal should have a generator

I figured the ahip ship would be fine, but didn’t know about the terminal having a generator. I’m telieved you think they will have one!

18 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Good luck to both the embarking and debarking passengers.  

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Maybe the terminal has a generator. If the outage continues that whole area is going to be disrupted. Traffic lights will be out.  Hopefully the outage will be over soon. 

Yes, that is another problem! I am hoping that the drive there isn’t impossible with traffic lights out. Apparently the power should be back by midnight - fingers crossed! Thanks again.

45 minutes ago, conciergecruiser said:

Hi Juvesgirl,

I hope all goes well with your cruise on the Escape out of NYC tomorrow.....once your onboard and enjoying a beverage of your choice would it be possible to see if the best bartender in the world " Ships A hoy" is still working the 5 O'clock somewhere bar outside on the Waterfront and if so could you ask if he will stay on the Escape thru the Fall ?

My family and I had the pleasure of meeting him last April while on a 7 day Bahamas cruise out of NYC..He was amazing and will do the escape again because of him and that great ship, thinking about Bermuda out of NYC in Sept or October...Thank you in advance..

I will do my best to remember!!!

5 minutes ago, emm126 said:

Most of the city has power back now and they expect the rest to have it back within the hour. You should be fine. Have a great cruise!

Fantastic news!!!! Thank you so much!!! I appreciate you letting me know :)

• Like 1

Don't feed the squirrels and see what happens.

Poor critters deprived of food got all bent out of shape in their squirrel cage generating motors

and went on a good ole New York strike shutting down their power grid.

Although it appears that things are back in working order - wonder what the back-up plan is

for NCL to operate if this happens again ?

The Check-In and Registration could be moved on board the ship -

portered baggage could still be fork-lifted into the hold of the ship -

inconvenience to handicap mobility impaired folks with elevators out of service -

a blessing in that Security would not be fully functional -

vehicles with provisions/supplies may have trouble getting through traffic -

disengaging gangways may pose a problem - - -

The situation is not impossible - the ESCAPE can still escape on it's way albeit late.

Interesting lesson in having a plan if this happens again - NCL do you have such a fallback plan ?

Relax, power has been fully restored to a small section (6 areas) of the city affected by the outage ... that lasted up to 5 hours, in & around/near Manhattan's midtown West.  Traffic lights are back on and subway services fully restored a little earlier, PATH & Amtrack services not reported to be disrupted earlier.  It was NOT a citywide power outage affectiang 8 million, rather ... something like 72,000 customers in the "small" island of Manhattan, thus - maybe 300,000 residents & visitors, business as usual for the rest of 8 millon New Yorkers.  

During Superstorm Sandy (2012) MCT and other transportation facilities lost electricty but NYC and Con Edison (utility company) has backup plans to restore at least partial and critical functions to them ... including the deployment of massive generators - including mobile ones.  MCT was up & running, on emergency generator power in the days after ... we sailed out of NY on the Gem that week - it was cold for late October then (without heat).  Police, fire & other first responders are out in force and the city's OEM (Office of Emergency Management) is always staffed 24/7/365 - been monitoring non-encrypted live communications ... no reasons to be concerned or alarmed, whatsoever.  

LGA and JFK airport operations never affected as they have their own backup power and access to resources to remain functional.  Otherwise, as a reserve volunteer, I would've been alerted to standby for mobilization duties across the city.  47 years ago to this date - NYC had a true massive, citywide blackout in the early evening hour and we remained calm, I was here in the Bronx then.  

Not expected to impact on cruise terminal operations in the morning, the Norwegian Escape is inbound at 15 knots, ETA is around 5 AM ... probably will be slowing down, I would guess, docking between 6 to 7 AM.  

Edited by mking8288

On 7/13/2019 at 9:54 PM, conciergecruiser said:

Hi Juvesgirl,

Hi, Ships Ahoy is home and they are not sure if he will return to this ship or another one, or when he is returning. Sorry!

4 minutes ago, oncruisecontrol said:

I trust the OP is on their way having fun on their cruise.  But to any of you New Yorkers who replied to the OP's query, any info on what caused the power outage?  Was it thunderstorms?  Just curious. I realize you may not know.

As of right now even the local utility is now sure what caused the circuit breaker to trip.  Initial reports of a fire were not true.  It was during the late afternoon of a somewhat warm weekend day.  Far from the higher demand expectations of a weekday and higher temps.

8 minutes ago, oncruisecontrol said:

I trust the OP is on their way having fun on their cruise.  But to any of you New Yorkers who replied to the OP's query, any info on what caused the power outage?  Was it thunderstorms?  Just curious. I realize you may not know.

Not a New Yorker but I read in the NYT that it was equipment failure. A 13,000 volt cable burning up that caused the outage. Con Ed is stating that it was not high demand that caused the outage. 

On 7/14/2019 at 12:57 AM, don't-use-real-name said:

Don't feed the squirrels and see what happens.

Poor critters deprived of food got all bent out of shape in their squirrel cage generating motors

and went on a good ole New York strike shutting down their power grid.

Although it appears that things are back in working order - wonder what the back-up plan is

for NCL to operate if this happens again ?

The Check-In and Registration could be moved on board the ship -

portered baggage could still be fork-lifted into the hold of the ship -

inconvenience to handicap mobility impaired folks with elevators out of service -

a blessing in that Security would not be fully functional -

vehicles with provisions/supplies may have trouble getting through traffic -

disengaging gangways may pose a problem - - -

The situation is not impossible - the ESCAPE can still escape on it's way albeit late.

Interesting lesson in having a plan if this happens again - NCL do you have such a fallback plan ?

Are you expecting an answer from NCL here?

NCL doesn't own the port, so how could they have a backup plan?  It's up to the port operations to have backup plans in place, and I'm sure most do in today's world. 

15 hours ago, oncruisecontrol said:

Was it thunderstorms?  Just curious. I realize you may not know.

Latest "spin" from ConEd, the utility provider is that their system designed with redundancies somehow failed & tripped  "While the cable fault was an initiating event, the customer outages were the result of the failure of the protective relay systems."

Forecasts for this weekend isn't going to make things look pretty ... Saturday, temp's will be near the 100 degree mark, slightly lower on Sunday but remained in the mid/upper 90's on Monday, easing by Tuesday, basically a heat wave is coming.  Heat advisories already issued to plan ahead & be prepared.  

The real question is what NYC and the State of NY are going to do about it, as they are the regulators - not NCL - ships are designed to be self-sustaining.  As a matter of fact, I seemed to recall that, post-Sandy in 2012, the Gem was providing electricity to run shored-based laptop networks used for pier check-in and the cruise terminal was running on emergency generators trucked in, just somewhat darkened & cold.  

Edited by mking8288