Passport Required?

JEndicott

If I'm not mistaken, travelers on a closed loop tour starting/ending in the US need the documents establishing identity and proof of citizenship in order to be able to return to the US, not for entry to Ports of Call, including Canada, Mexico, most of the Caribbean and Bermuda

28 minutes ago, Herfnerd said:

If I'm not mistaken, travelers on a closed loop tour starting/ending in the US need the documents establishing identity and proof of citizenship in order to be able to return to the US, not for entry to Ports of Call, including Canada, Mexico, most of the Caribbean and Bermuda

They serve a dual purpose as they allow entry to the ports of call. One of the reasons why people are denied boarding for not having the requisite proof. 

The OP has been a member of this website for ELEVEN YEARS and couldn't figure out how to search the HUNDREDS of "do I need a passport" threads. 🙄

and of course, like always, this "passport" thread turns into people sniping at each other just like clockwork. 

3 hours ago, Herfnerd said:

Read some of the threads were people were not allowed off the ship in Canada.

It is for BOTH entering the US and entering other countries on the cruise.

You may not realize, but people other than US citizens may need a visa in their passport for entering countries, even on a cruise.

Yes, cruisers other than US Citizens may need a visa, however with a few exceptions will any sort of documentation actually be required in order to visit a port of call.  The ones I know of that do require a passport on a cruise, at least in the Caribbean, are:  Barbados, Guadeloupe, Haite Martinique, St Bart's, Trinidad and Tobago and St Maarten (French side)  

1 hour ago, Herfnerd said:

Yes, cruisers other than US Citizens may need a visa, however with a few exceptions will any sort of documentation actually be required in order to visit a port of call.  The ones I know of that do require a passport on a cruise, at least in the Caribbean, are:  Barbados, Guadeloupe, Haite Martinique, St Bart's, Trinidad and Tobago and St Maarten (French side)  

Add Costa Rica to that list.

19 hours ago, Herfnerd said:

The cruise ship has your info, and they supply it to the country the ship is entering.  So no, you do not have to carry and show your passport, but they still know your passport info.

19 hours ago, Herfnerd said:

Official information from the US Department of State contradicts almost everything you've said.

Barbados does not require a passport for US citizens on a closed loop cruise. Per the US State Department:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Barbados.html

"NOTE: Generally, all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport when traveling to Barbados, as well as proof of anticipated departure from Barbados. This includes travelers arriving by airplane and by private sea-going vessel. Those traveling to Barbados on a cruise may use another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document. However, we strongly recommend visitors obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires a cruise passenger to disembark and return by air. "

No such requirement on  a closed loop cruise for the French West Indies (Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Saint Martin, and St. Bart's) either. Again per the State Department:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/FrenchWestIndies.html.html?wcmmode=disabled

"NOTE: Caribbean cruises that begin and end in the United States (closed loop cruises) do not require that you travel with a valid passport. However, should you need to disembark due to an emergency and you do not have a valid passport, you may encounter difficulties entering or remaining in a foreign country. You may also have difficulty attempting to re-enter the United States by air because many airlines will require a valid passport before allowing you to board the aircraft. Always travel abroad with your valid passport."

As far as Haiti is concerned there are no cruises to that country other than those stopping at the Royal Caribbean private development at Labadee and passports are definitely not required for US citizens on closed loop cruises for that stop.

So, none of the places you've mentioned with the exception of Trinidad and Tobago legally require US Citizens on a closed loop cruise to hold  a passport...BUT...it is always your cruise line's option to a require a passport and as a general rule the mass market lines will not but the luxury lines generally will.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Official information from the US Department of State contradicts almost everything you've said.

Barbados does not require a passport for US citizens on a closed loop cruise. Per the US State Department:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Barbados.html

"NOTE: Generally, all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport when traveling to Barbados, as well as proof of anticipated departure from Barbados. This includes travelers arriving by airplane and by private sea-going vessel. Those traveling to Barbados on a cruise may use another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document. However, we strongly recommend visitors obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires a cruise passenger to disembark and return by air. "

No such requirement on  a closed loop cruise for the French West Indies (Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Saint Martin, and St. Bart's) either. Again per the State Department:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/FrenchWestIndies.html.html?wcmmode=disabled

"NOTE: Caribbean cruises that begin and end in the United States (closed loop cruises) do not require that you travel with a valid passport. However, should you need to disembark due to an emergency and you do not have a valid passport, you may encounter difficulties entering or remaining in a foreign country. You may also have difficulty attempting to re-enter the United States by air because many airlines will require a valid passport before allowing you to board the aircraft. Always travel abroad with your valid passport."

As far as Haiti is concerned there are no cruises to that country other than those stopping at the Royal Caribbean private development at Labadee and passports are definitely not required for US citizens on closed loop cruises for that stop.

So, none of the places you've mentioned with the exception of Trinidad and Tobago legally require US Citizens on a closed loop cruise to hold  a passport...BUT...it is always your cruise line's option to a require a passport and as a general rule the mass market lines will not but the luxury lines generally will.

So my original comment about not needing a passport to enter a country on a closed loop cruise is correct.  

I find it odd that in all of my cruises, I have never needed to show any sort documentation in order to leave the ship at a port of call.  I always thought that once you show proof of citizenship upon embarkation, that that wold be sufficient for stop for most cruises

31 minutes ago, Herfnerd said:

So my original comment about not needing a passport to enter a country on a closed loop cruise is correct.  

I find it odd that in all of my cruises, I have never needed to show any sort documentation in order to leave the ship at a port of call.  I always thought that once you show proof of citizenship upon embarkation, that that wold be sufficient for stop for most cruises

This is provided to the port with the passenger manifest which includes the citizenship of each passenger and likely including notes regarding what citizenship documentation was provided.

3 hours ago, Herfnerd said:

Whether you must have a passport and whether you have to physically present that passport to local authorities are two separate issues.

For many itineraries, particularly cruises in the Western Hemisphere,  you don't have to physically show your passport to local authorities, even if one is required for your itinerary. As "sparks 1093" said in the previous post the cruise line will have provided the countries you're visiting with a passenger manifest that provides details on the type of documentation you hold, and that suffices in many countries.

However if you travel more extensively  you'll find there are places where you have to physically appear before the local customs officers with your passport.  There are also itineraries where the cruise ship will hold your passports and then present them to local authorities when the ship arrives in port early in the morning. I've had numerous stamps in my passports from countries where I didn't personally present my passport to authorities, but rather the cruise ship purser's office, which was holding all the passengers' passports, provided them to local officials who then stamped the visas into the passports.

On 7/13/2019 at 9:53 PM, JEndicott said:

Is a passport required if any of the cruise ports are in Canada from a U.S. embarkation?

Where does the cruise end? That is critical. If it ends in Canada you need a passport. If it ends in the US you do not.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:59 AM, njhorseman said:

The post you were quoting clearly states at the states "cruisers other than US Citizens".

So everything you state, has NOTHING to do with the post you are quoting.

And BTW, other than US citizens DO require a passport throughout the Caribbean.  However, no place we have been required it be shown by a cruise passenger, my SO is not a US citizen.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

The post you were quoting clearly states at the states "cruisers other than US Citizens".

So everything you state, has NOTHING to do with the post you are quoting.

And BTW, other than US citizens DO require a passport throughout the Caribbean.  However, no place we have been required it be shown by a cruise passenger, my SO is not a US citizen.

No...you've completely misinterpreted the intent of the post I quoted . The first sentence that talks about requirements for other countries is not what was under discussion. The poster, a US citizen,  later in the post was talking about requirements for US citizens to enter those countries, as evidenced by the last sentence of the post, which is the part I was addressing: " The ones I know of that do require a passport on a cruise, at least in the Caribbean, are:  Barbados, Guadeloupe, Haite Martinique, St Bart's, Trinidad and Tobago and St Maarten (French side "

One would only make that statement if one were talking about requirements for US citizens, because citizens of virtually every other country in the world obviously need a passport to enter those countries. (The exception might be French citizens entering the French West Indies). The US is the only country whose citizens on closed loop cruises have wide-spread exemption from normal documentation requirements. The island countries mentioned are ones that were not specifically mentioned in the original WHTI agreements, hence the fairly common misconception that US citizens on cruises need passports to enter. That was corrected many years ago by separate agreements between the US and the affected countries.

If I misinterpreted the poster's intent why when he/she responded to my post did they not say "Hey...I was talking about requirements for citizens of other countries, not US citizens" , but instead accepted what I wrote? There's a very obvious and simple answer...I correctly interpreted the intent of the post's content.

As I explained to that poster in  my next post, the need for a passport and the need to physically show that passport to authorities are two completely different things, so what you're saying about your SO doesn't add any new information to the discussion.

On 7/16/2019 at 3:01 PM, Herfnerd said:

On 7/17/2019 at 10:59 AM, njhorseman said:

READ the first post, which is the one you quoted.

NOWHERE does it mention US citizens.

47 minutes ago, SRF said:

READ the first post, which is the one you quoted.

NOWHERE does it mention US citizens.

It doesn't have to use the words "US citizens".  If you understand the context of the thread and understand why some Caribbean island cruise destinations...the ones the poster specifically names...are mistakenly thought to have different entry requirements the post can only be referring to US citizens (and in certain cases Canadian citizens).

The names of the islands were not pulled out of thin air...they are the ones omitted from the original WHTI law and regulation . Originally it was believed that as a result you would have hold  a valid passport to visit those islands on a cruise as opposed to travel to other islands,  Canada and Mexico, for which other forms of documentation would be acceptable under WHTI.  What happened next was that cruise lines contacted DHS and eventually received clarification that travel to those omitted islands was also permissible using WHTI-compliant documents other than passports provided those countries agreed to allow it, which apparently they did.

At the time one of the cruise lines...I think it was Carnival...published a clarification statement in the documentation section of its website informing its passengers that DHS had granted permission to treat cruise travel to those islands the same way as cruise travel to the other countries and islands that were specifically named in the WHTI.

So...an understanding context and history explains why the poster's statement has to be referring to US citizens, and under certain circumstances Canadians. Very simply it would be meaningless and irrelevant for citizens of other countries.

20 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It doesn't have to use the words "US citizens".  If you understand the context of the thread and understand why some Caribbean island cruise destinations...the ones the poster specifically names...are mistakenly thought to have different entry requirements the post can only be referring to US citizens (and in certain cases Canadian citizens).

The names of the islands were not pulled out of thin air...they are the ones omitted from the original WHTI law and regulation . Originally it was believed that as a result you would have hold  a valid passport to visit those islands on a cruise as opposed to travel to other islands,  Canada and Mexico, for which other forms of documentation would be acceptable under WHTI.  What happened next was that cruise lines contacted DHS and eventually received clarification that travel to those omitted islands was also permissible using WHTI-compliant documents other than passports provided those countries agreed to allow it, which apparently they did.

At the time one of the cruise lines...I think it was Carnival...published a clarification statement in the documentation section of its website informing its passengers that DHS had granted permission to treat cruise travel to those islands the same way as cruise travel to the other countries and islands that were specifically named in the WHTI.

So...an understanding context and history explains why the poster's statement has to be referring to US citizens, and under certain circumstances Canadians. Very simply it would be meaningless and irrelevant for citizens of other countries.

YOU quoted a post and took exception to what was said.

However the post YOU quoted, was specifically about NON-US CITIZENS.

If you had posted without the quote, you might be able to claim context.  But by quoting, your response is a direct response to the post you quoted.

15 minutes ago, SRF said:

YOU quoted a post and took exception to what was said.

However the post YOU quoted, was specifically about NON-US CITIZENS.

If you had posted without the quote, you might be able to claim context.  But by quoting, your response is a direct response to the post you quoted.

Well, we're going to continue to disagree over whether the post was about non-US citizens. I'm not going to spend anymore time trying to explain why that isn't true.

Edited by njhorseman

READ THE POST YOU QUOTED.

6 hours ago, SRF said:

READ THE POST YOU QUOTED.

Read what I posted . I wasn't addressing or disputing the first sentence. I was addressing the subsequent statement about Barbados, Guadeloupe, etc. requiring passports for a cruise. Singling out those islands is only meaningful  for US citizens, whether the poster specifically used those words or not. The post is poorly written...that's not my fault...the first sentence should have stood alone, in its own paragraph.

If you're a citizen of Afghanistan or Zimbabwe, or any country in between, you need a passport for a cruise to any Caribbean Island, not just the ones named. The only reason to name those specific countries is if you're talking about US (or in certain circumstances Canadian) citizens. Again it's a simple matter of understanding context and the history of the WHTI . Frankly, I think you understand that, but you just want to pick a fight. Go fight about something else please.

On 7/16/2019 at 10:06 AM, TruckerDave said:

The OP has been a member of this website for ELEVEN YEARS and couldn't figure out how to search the HUNDREDS of "do I need a passport" threads. 🙄

and of course, like always, this "passport" thread turns into people sniping at each other just like clockwork. 

beat_dead_horse.jpg

popcorn.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 6:53 PM, JEndicott said:

Is a passport required if any of the cruise ports are in Canada from a U.S. embarkation?

Required? No, it is not required in all cases. For example, if you are on a closed-loop cruise (ends at the same port it started at) such as cruises out of Seattle to Alaska that come back to Seattle.  In those cases passengers who are US citizens can go on their cruise with a current US passport, current US passport card, an enhanced drivers license (only 5 states have them), or a government issued birth certificate with an official seal and a valid government-issued photo ID (normally a drivers license). A female who is married and changed her surname to match her husband's should also bring a copy of her marriage certificate to account for the change in last name from the birth certificate also.

This does not have anything to do with non-US passports, many of which, but not all, also require Canadian visas but that does not appear to be an issue in this case.  Hope this helps.

Tom

Just to be complete, BC only works for a US citizen born in the US.  Born outside the US, they need a Consular Report of Birth.  Or if naturalized, they need a copy of their Naturalization Certificate.

And other country passport holders may or may not need a visa for various ports.  And the rules for visas may be different for cruise entry versus other forms of transport.  Or cruise last April included a Caribbean country, that if we had visited by air, my SO would have needed a visa.  But by cruise ship, no visa was required.

In May I was on a private tour on the Klondike Highway from Skagway well into BC. The tour operator asked to see passports. At the Canadian border the Canadian agent bordered the bus and asked for everyone to have their passport out. On returning to the US they asked us to show our passports. So you probally can use a BC but the US/ Canadian border expects a passport / passport card.

• 4 weeks later...