World Cruise 2020

turtlemichael

56 minutes ago, Capt.F said:

Attention News Flash!!! I have been in touch with management on and off today and I can confirm that I was informed in the last hour that all segments of the World Cruise will be removed from the Silversea website's list of voyages that the Family Savings will apply to. 

Well if that is the case kudos to you Capt.F, fantastic news, I owe you a large drink on board.  Now how do we get the offer removed from other voyages.  I really don't know why management can't insitigate a win/win situation.  If they set aside one of the new ships to be child free then we'd ALL have a choice.

MM

56 minutes ago, Capt.F said:

Attention News Flash!!! I have been in touch with management on and off today and I can confirm that I was informed in the last hour that all segments of the World Cruise will be removed from the Silversea website's list of voyages that the Family Savings will apply to. 

13 minutes ago, Miss Merry said:

If they set aside one of the new ships to be child free then we'd ALL have a choice.   MM

I am afraid that a new child-free ship would never sail where I want to sail.

Here's an interesting choice:

Would you prefer that Silversea made one or two ships child-free or allowed children on all ships but established a reasonable minimum age (at least one where children can be expected to control themselves and/or be controlled by parent(s)?

Thoughts? 

Given the choice I would pick a child-free ship each and every time.  The ship is my primary destination; the ports are just "gravy".

I've encountered enough children on Silversea cruises over the years, ranging from infants and toddlers to university age, and although I have found their behaviour to improve with their age, NONE of them seemed to be terribly thrilled to be there and looked as if they would have appreciated a cruise with more guests closer in age to themselves.  Personally, I would rather see NO children on a Silversea cruise; it's really not geared towards families with children.  I can, however, understand children of crew members making appearances; I've never really noticed more than a glimpse of them here and there in any case.  But I really think multi-generational families would be better served on the bigger ships, such as those on Crystal and Regent, where there is more room to accommodate children's activities without disturbing anyone, and ensuring EVERYONE has an enjoyable cruise.

I'm not looking to offend any members here with children or grandchildren, but on the off-chance that this thread comes to Silversea's attention, I'd like to add my two cents and attempt to thwart any attempts at "Royal Caribbean-ing" our cruise experience!  I have made Silversea my choice over other cruise lines for a reason.

Bechi

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Observer said:

I am afraid that a new child-free ship would never sail where I want to sail.

Here's an interesting choice:

Would you prefer that Silversea made one or two ships child-free or allowed children on all ships but established a reasonable minimum age (at least one where children can be expected to control themselves and/or be controlled by parent(s)?

Thoughts? 

Here are my thoughts.  Without doubt I would go for a child free ship, I've spent too many Silversea voyages over the last few years with many children on board.  For me there is no contest.  You ask about minimum age, for me as a general rule, I believe Viking has a minimum of sixteen which I would think reasonable for child free ships.  Of course you can get a beautifully behaved child like Rico's young son, I think he's around six,  but on the other hand an entitled, belligerent fourteen year old, kids come in all shapes and sizes, the problem is you never know what you're going to get until it's too late.  

MM

2 hours ago, pf778c said:

Given the choice I would pick a child-free ship each and every time.  The ship is my primary destination; the ports are just "gravy".

I've encountered enough children on Silversea cruises over the years, ranging from infants and toddlers to university age, and although I have found their behaviour to improve with their age, NONE of them seemed to be terribly thrilled to be there and looked as if they would have appreciated a cruise with more guests closer in age to themselves.  Personally, I would rather see NO children on a Silversea cruise; it's really not geared towards families with children.  I can, however, understand children of crew members making appearances; I've never really noticed more than a glimpse of them here and there in any case.  But I really think multi-generational families would be better served on the bigger ships, such as those on Crystal and Regent, where there is more room to accommodate children's activities without disturbing anyone, and ensuring EVERYONE has an enjoyable cruise.

I'm not looking to offend any members here with children or grandchildren, but on the off-chance that this thread comes to Silversea's attention, I'd like to add my two cents and attempt to thwart any attempts at "Royal Caribbean-ing" our cruise experience!  I have made Silversea my choice over other cruise lines for a reason.

Bechi

Well said, 100% agree.  

There has been a comment that Officers wouldn't like child free ships because they couldn't bring their families on board.  My experience is that the children of employees are never a problem as they have to be very well behaved on pain of death.

MM

4 hours ago, Miss Merry said:

My experience is that the children of employees are never a problem as they have to be very well behaved on pain of death.

MM

This has been my experience as well.  What's more, an infant or toddler attached to an officer can take meals in the officers' mess, where other officers will coo over their colleague's child and any outburst will not affect paying guests in the restaurants.

Changing the subject...  I know that shore excursions for the world cruise won't be available to book until 120 days before sailing, but I thought that in prior years pricing was available a month or so in advance.  I checked both silversea.com and mysilversea and neither are showing prices.  Do any past world cruisers remember when pricing was available in prior years?  

18 minutes ago, HunEBear said:

Changing the subject...  I know that shore excursions for the world cruise won't be available to book until 120 days before sailing, but I thought that in prior years pricing was available a month or so in advance.  I checked both silversea.com and mysilversea and neither are showing prices.  Do any past world cruisers remember when pricing was available in prior years?  

With my spotty memory....I think the prices only showed up when excursions were actually available for booking at 120 days prior.  We will miss sailing with you and your wonderful spouse HunE!  Hopefully we can sail along with you "in absentia" through your posts!  🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mysty said:

With my spotty memory....I think the prices only showed up when excursions were actually available for booking at 120 days prior.  We will miss sailing with you and your wonderful spouse HunE!  Hopefully we can sail along with you "in absentia" through your posts!  🙂

Thank you, Mysty!  We will miss you, too!  We hope to see you again some time. Good luck with your move.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, DCCruiser57 said:

It is amazing that there is so little activity on this thread, especially given that there are 250 or more world cruisers on board.

DCC, maybe it's because the majority of people on the 2020 may be old hats at World Cruises.  A lot of the activity on the 2019 was from people who had not done a WC before.  Your efforts to encourage participation are great!  I really hope more people start to interact!  It does help to build the excitement!  Really wish we could be sailing along with you!

• Like 1

I happened to fall into this discussion because I was looking at WC threads on various lines.

About young children on luxury ships. We were on a b2b on Hapag Lloyd's Europa 2 (their international ship). This line has a children's room away from adult areas, nannies, limited pool access for children (1 hour per day) and a separate lunch and dining area in the buffet. The nannies eat with the children. If I hadn't seen a few young children during their pool hour, I would never have known they were on the ship.  I don't know if Silversea ships have the space and the willingness to do something similar. 

Tours are now available for booking.  In addition, it appears SS has added a couple of WC events:

Pitcairn Island

Sea conditions permitting a landing, spend the day in Adamstown exploring the storied hideaway island of the HMS Bounty's crew of mutineers. Arrive by zodiac or traditional Pitcairners' longboat and you'll be welcomed ashore by the tiny population of 50 islanders, learning of their life on this far-flung island. Your expedition afternoon will begin with your choice of either ATV or small van.  The mutineers' descendants will share their stories, and you can find out more of their tiny society, as you visit the museum, cemetery, and school or should you wish, enjoy a traditional lunch in a local home. Birdlife, like the endemic Pitcairn Reed Warbler will provide a melodic soundtrack to your explorations.

Mounu Island

Come ashore to an island kingdom of color and culture, enjoying a relaxing afternoon on the beautifully authentic Tongan beaches of these sister islands. Scattered across 170 islands, the Polynesian kingdom of Tonga welcomes you to one of its finest white sand beaches. Spend time unwinding, getting a taste for Tonga's unhurried, vibrant island culture as you lay back to relax on the soft sand, or wander through the shallow waves that fold ashore. Dive into the Tongan culture and heritage, and cool off with an ice cold drink from the Silversea Beach Bar set up just for you. Please note: This World Cruise experience involves a minimal amount of walking and is not suitable for guests with limited mobility. Guests must be able to maneuver over soft sand as there are no paved pathways. Bathing suits with a cover-up and suitable water shoes are recommended along with sun protection and a beach towel. Bathrooms are not available on the island. Sea conditions depending, disembarkation might be via Zodiac (uncovered inflatable rafts). Advanced reservations are not required. The visit will be self-exploration and departure time will be confirmed once on board.

• Like 2

Got this from our TA from SS.

WORLD CRUISE COLLECTON

We are excited to announce that for the first time ever, we have created a World Cruise collection of bespoke Shore Experiences available exclusively for our World Cruisers 2020. There are 35 amazing experiences to choose from (or don’t choose and do them all!), each one offering a chance to travel deeper and explore the cultures and traditions of your destinations. So, from a traditional lunch and welcome dance in the light of the Moais of Rapa Nui to a private dinner at the famous Bloody Mary’s in Bora Bora and a steam train ride through the tropical landscape of central Java to a 19-course tasting menu in Girona’s beautifully preserved Old Town, we think there is something for every one of our Legends.

• Like 2

A 3rd WC event at Aitutaki:

Kia Orana Aitutaki (AIT-01)

Available

Duration : 05:00 hours - Estimate departure : 9:00 AM

Experience the color, rhythms and rituals of a lively island festival, as you arrive on the sandy shores of the utterly unspoiled Cook Islands. A spectacular South Pacific paradise of intense color and heavenly seascapes, there is a lot to celebrate here. Enjoy festivities showcasing the local dance, culture and heritage, try the island's freshly prepared dishes while also relishing time to soak in the stunning surroundings. The gleaming white sands and glowing azure seas are the idyllic setting for this day of island celebrations, on what's said to be the 'most beautiful lagoon in the world'. Please note: This World Cruise experience involves a minimal amount of walking and is suitable for guest with limited mobility. Lightweight clothing, protection from the sun, comfortable shoes, and insect repellent are recommended. Sea conditions depending, disembarkation might be via Zodiac (uncovered inflatable rafts). Advanced reservations are not required.The duration of the festival is 5 hours (from 9am to 2pm) and and all guests can join in anytime, either before your PM tour or AM tour.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 8:58 AM, DCCruiser57 said:

We have met the minimum for the meet and mingle on leg 1.

Excellent news DCC!  Hopefully more folks will join in as final payment date has passed.  Some folks follow this thread and don't necessarily comment or even sign up for Meet & Mingles.  If someone on this thread posted the date and time for a Meet & Mingle (when the time comes) more people might show up.  This worked well for the 2019 WC.  At one of them we had 18 folks show up when only 12 have been registered.  There was more than enough nibbles and drinks for all.  It was a great turnout and a great opportunity to meet lovely people.  Just a suggestion!  🙂    You're doing an awesome job DCC!

• Like 1

Important Info

I asked last week for Silversea to give me the number of blank pages in the passport required for the World Cruise 2020 and they replied 2 TWO .

I I know that was not true so my agent (wonderful girl) asked again only a bit louder and this time they replied with 18 Eighteen clear blank pages. Yikes

This is a lot and for me its a new passport. The visa's are being looked after by Silverseas so they should know what is required. I am from the UK so mine might be different from other countries. Not enough pages might mean boarding refused. So please check 
Edited by joe_90
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, joe_90 said:
Important Info

I asked last week for Silversea to give me the number of blank pages in the passport required for the World Cruise 2020 and they replied 2 TWO .

I I know that was not true so my agent (wonderful girl) asked again only a bit louder and this time they replied with 18 Eighteen clear blank pages. Yikes

18?  Really?  Holy mackerel!!!

For U.S. citizens that would mean they all need brand new passports because they only have 18 pages to start with.

• Like 1

Hi all

Just to compare I got my other half a new one for  2019 qnd we used 13 pages  I was hoping it be smaller but that was the reply.

I did not know of the USA's size perhaps some one will check with their TA please.

just your average

Joe