Cruise Critic Community
Gourmet Gal

What’s the Deal? Sewage problems on Cloud???

I’ve read a few reviews and comments related to sewage issues on The Cloud...is this confined to certain cabins or a ship wide issue?

My experience is that there is a problem common to all the older ships, of a build up of sewage smells in all the public toilets in the back half of the ship on all floors, and a particular build up in the Bar. I assume that there is some design issue with odour traps. My experience is that Whisper is the worst, followed by Shadow, and that Cloud does not suffer unduly. However, as there is no opportunity to empty tanks when in Antarctica, there might be a similar build up on longer expedition cruises.

I have never experienced problems of sewage smells in the corridors with suites. Although I have twice experienced  old water water pipe breakages and floods, but the HD told me that they are common, as the constant slight movement of the ship events causes weaknesses in the joints when under high pressure. But that has nothing to do with sewage. 

We were on the Cloud for a month in April, had a great cruise, never smelled sewage--and my nose is sensitive--nor did I hear anyone complain of it. But even on a ship the size of the Cloud, you don't know what's happening everyplace. I rule nothing out, but I would have thought I would have heard someone speak of it if it was a problem.  LittleRedJohn

We did smell a few odors in the hallway on our deck (6) on previous cruise.  None in our cabin.  It was worse when the ship was docked.

Indeed, the cloud is suffering from bouts of acute ageing.

Deck 7 had constant wet spots in the corridors with fans running constantly.

Air fresheners were everywhere and our hot water was a nice yellow colour.

The smell of sewage came and went in different areas of the ship but to my olfactory sense it was not a strong odour.

7 hours ago, tgh said:

Indeed, the cloud is suffering from bouts of acute ageing.

Deck 7 had constant wet spots in the corridors with fans running constantly.

Air fresheners were everywhere and our hot water was a nice yellow colour.

The smell of sewage came and went in different areas of the ship but to my olfactory sense it was not a strong odour.

Hope they find a fix before we get on later this year!

I'll give it a sniff in 20 days! Looking forward to it! (Well, not if it's strong and pervasive... 😉 )

We were on the Cloud last month and as soon as I boarded I noticed a smell of sewage on Deck 5 in the corridor.  I mentioned it to the Hotel Director and he said it would be gone when we sailed.  He was correct but each time the ship stopped sailing, either docked or anchored, the smell returned.  On the day we disembarked there was some kind of extractor plugged in mid corridor.  I don’t remember what it was called but it was to alleviate the pong!

i didn’t experience a bad smell anywhere else on the ship.