Phu My port

lauraapp

It is an industrial port but the walk is quick and easy we thought when we docked there on Mariner (we could see the port gate from our ship) and lot's of cruisers were walking also ...so pretty safe. There may have been a shuttle but we certainly didn't see one but each ship arrival  at different times could be different. We were the only ship docked that day. We walked to the gate to meet up with the private tour guide we had booked with some from our rollcall. However when we returned back in the late afternoon there were port employees (I assumed) with golf cart type shuttles offering rides back to the ship.

The port gates are within easy walking distance (see photo). When we were there, there was a shuttle bus, small yellow buses with "SCHOOL BUS" on the front. It is safe.

If you are doing a private tour, try to get a rickshaw/trishaw ris eorganised in Saigon - great fun.

image.thumb.jpeg.2d3236742a00a424baf52df2976ebb98.jpeg

5 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

The port gates are within easy walking distance (see photo). When we were there, there was a shuttle bus, small yellow buses with "SCHOOL BUS" on the front. It is safe.

If you are doing a private tour, try to get a rickshaw/trishaw ris eorganised in Saigon - great fun.

Looks like they have a better option now with the school bus over the golf cart types. However was this offered when you were leaving the ship or as ours was on returning to the ship from the port gate entrance?

57 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Looks like they have a better option now with the school bus over the golf cart types. However was this offered when you were leaving the ship or as ours was on returning to the ship from the port gate entrance?

When we disembarked, there were two buses standing at the side of a warehouse, no one took any notice of them (even Celebrity crew didn't direct us to them, so we walked to the port gate). On our return there was an English speaking Vietnamese directing us to the bus - most welcome aftera very long, hot but fabulous day in Saigon.

• Like 1

The City of Baria use to put on a free shuttle service from the Port to the city (about a 15 minute ride),  at least this was the case on the two occasions we were in Phu My, the last being 4 years ago.  Does anyone know if that shuttle is still provided, I thought it may have been the yellow school bus in the photo above?

On 7/15/2019 at 4:08 AM, G.M.T. said:

Do you remember what tour company that you used?

Went there on NCL in March.  Yes, there was a shuttle to the gate.  HCMC is about an hour away, so you'll want to pre-book a tour.   I used VN Rent a car.  They have private tours.  I bought one that took me around HCMC for 6 hours.

Edited by yoolykeme

On 7/16/2019 at 11:46 AM, Bpos said:

The City of Baria use to put on a free shuttle service from the Port to the city (about a 15 minute ride),  at least this was the case on the two occasions we were in Phu My, the last being 4 years ago.  Does anyone know if that shuttle is still provided, I thought it may have been the yellow school bus in the photo above?

It was last year. Not the school bus. Baria is more like 45-60 minutes from the wharf.

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was last year. Not the school bus. Baria is more like 45-60 minutes from the wharf.

Your not confusing Baria with Vung Tau?  Baria is about 17 km from the port, whereas travel to Vung Tau is more like the time you have quoted above.  Know the area well, was there nearby in 1970.

On 7/16/2019 at 6:42 PM, yoolykeme said:

Went there on NCL in March.  Yes, there was a shuttle to the gate.  HCMC is about an hour away, so you'll want to pre-book a tour.   I used VN Rent a car.  They have private tours.  I bought one that took me around HCMC for 6 hours.

Do you remember if NCL had a HCMC transfer option? We would like to pay for ship transfer to ensure we make it back on time. We want to do our own thing in HCMC.

Have done a Phu My port stop on three different cruises over the last year. Walking was not allowed on any of the three. They had shuttle buses to take you from the ship to the gate. A few people tired to walk and security turned them around. 

On 7/19/2019 at 6:29 AM, harv2015 said:

Do you remember if NCL had a HCMC transfer option? We would like to pay for ship transfer to ensure we make it back on time. We want to do our own thing in HCMC.

Yes they did, but it wasn't for very long (I think that it's like 10 hours in port, but the ship excursion was only 5 hours).  Plus, when you get to HCMC, you're going to have to find a way to get to the different destinations that you want to visit.  Of course, you can use Grab or taxis, but I found that having a private driver helped navigate the intangibles, like driving up directly into the entrances of the museums and into the ticketing lines, and being able to park inside the attractions for free and being ready to go when we were ready.

On 7/20/2019 at 2:40 AM, Expat Cruise said:

Have done a Phu My port stop on three different cruises over the last year. Walking was not allowed on any of the three. They had shuttle buses to take you from the ship to the gate. A few people tired to walk and security turned them around. 

Good to know.

It is about 100m from ship to the outer port gate.

I have been to the port of Phu My twice, Sapphire Princess 2015 and Majestic Princess 2018, last August.

Both times we have booked private tours and walked to the gate, last August we had 30 people in our group.

Both times when arriving back, there has been a bus waiting at the port gate to shuttle people back to the ship, some of our group chose to walk, some took the bus.

I guess it is different every time, perhaps next year when we stop there again we may not be able to walk.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2019 at 7:18 AM, cheznandy said:

It is about 100m from ship to the outer port gate.

I have been to the port of Phu My twice, Sapphire Princess 2015 and Majestic Princess 2018, last August.

Both times we have booked private tours and walked to the gate, last August we had 30 people in our group.

Both times when arriving back, there has been a bus waiting at the port gate to shuttle people back to the ship, some of our group chose to walk, some took the bus.

I guess it is different every time, perhaps next year when we stop there again we may not be able to walk.

Yes, we walked too when we arranged our private tour outside the gate. The bus shuttle was there on our return if you preferred to use it instead of walking.