Notes from a very short cruise on QM2

Host Hattie

After a 4 year absence we will be joining QM2 later today for the short trip to Liverpool before she heads off to New York via Iceland. I would have loved to have done the whole trip but this is a busy time of year for me at work so 3 days holiday was all I could manage.

We came down by train yesterday and stayed in Jurys Inn. The room was very comfortable and we had a lovely stroll through the park for tapas and a few drinks last night. I would come back if we travelled without a car again.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

After a 4 year absence we will be joining QM2 later today for the short trip to Liverpool before she heads off to New York via Iceland. I would have loved to have done the whole trip but this is a busy time of year for me at work so 3 days holiday was all I could manage.

We came down by train yesterday and stayed in Jurys Inn. The room was very comfortable and we had a lovely stroll through the park for tapas and a few drinks last night. I would come back if we travelled without a car again.

Have a great trip 

• Like 1

Thank you

We'd slept well, breakfast wasn't too chaotic and I used the courtesy phone in reception to book a taxi to the terminal for 11.30.

There are 4 cruise ships in Southampton today so there were plenty of people waiting around the small lay bye outside the hotel. We were dropped off at 11.40 & confronted by a queue outside the doors of the terminal. Fortunately there was somebody gathering up priority and taking them past the queue.

I managed to catch my little toe on one of the barrier supports and spent the rest of check in trying not to bleed all over the carpet !

I was a bit shocked to be asked for an ESTA ! No Health questionnaire and we were given a card telling us the cabins wouldn't be ready until 12. We were onboard soon after and I cleaned up my toes, sandal & the shower ! We headed to the Golden Lion for our traditional first lunch. No cricket on the screens unfortunately.

IMG_20190714_122613.jpg

• Like 5

We had a stroll outside and found a couple of comfy chairs and familiar faces on Deck 8. (Names withheld to protect the guilty !).

The sun came out so we moved to the comfy loungers and had a cocktail and a snooze (Mr HH). We got to our muster station at 4.25 just in time to hear that it had been delayed by 15 minutes. 

Once it was over we popped outside for a grandstand view of Queen Victoria leaving on time. Captain Wells told us we'd be delayed until at least 6pm. The sight of a bar waiter pushing a drinks trolley helped to ease the disappointment.

IMG_20190714_174358.jpg

IMG_20190714_172742.jpg

IMG_20190714_173038.jpg

• Like 2

We were delayed long enough so that I could listen to Test Match Special with a very exciting end to the cricket world cup. We finally sailed around 2 hours late. 
By the time we got back to the cabin there was time to open the Pol Aker, improved with a little peach juice and dress for dinner.
We were on a table for 6 on the very top part of the Britannia restaurant. I've never been up there before but it was very pleasant. It felt like being in a much smaller restaurant with a nice sea view.
The sommelier was very prompt and we had our white wine in plenty of time for the starters.
Apologies for the lack of photos of this evening, the cricket listening killed my phone battery !
Dinner was very pleasant and we finished in plenty of time to get to the theatre for "The Beatles experience". There were plenty of spare seats and we enjoyed the show. We called it a night, disembarkation details had arrived, how depressing !

• Like 3

We'd ordered breakfast for 9-9.30 & it arrived at around 9.15, just in time for me to get to Bill Miller's lecture. I'd managed to register for the internet in the cabin but had to go to the public rooms to use it. The lecture was entertaining, Mr HH went to the Royal Court theatre for Margaret Gilmore's celebrity lecture and I went up to the Promenade Deck just in time to catch sight of a pod of dolphins. I found myself a steamer chair and passed a relaxing hour. 
We met up in the cabin and went to lunch in the Britannia restaurant. He went to the 2pm showing in the Planetarium and I went to a very well attended Cruise Critic meeting. Thank you to everyone, it was a pleasure to put faces to so many familiar names.
It was 3.15 by the time we were finished and Mr HH went to the next lecture (advertised as 3pm on the front of the daily programme, 3.30 inside). The temptation of a steamer chair in the sun was too much for me.

IMG_20190715_122824.jpg

IMG_20190715_122819.jpg

IMG_20190715_121414_1.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Apologies for the lack of photos of this evening, the cricket listening killed my phone battery !

I'm wondering if some Cruise Critic work may have contributed to your low battery, or maybe it's being taken care of by someone else. Either way, I'm very grateful for the work you do on this forum, and hope you continue to have a fantastic voyage!

• Like 3

We usually have good WiFi in the QM2 staterooms but our stateroom on Deck 4 seemed to have a dead spot right at the love seat - coffee table area. I've actually booked the same stateroom for next summer so I guess it didn't bother me that much 🙂

WiFi in public areas was rock solid, as you'd expect.

Hi Hattie, if you in the Commodore before second sitting dinner , I will be there seated near the  at with a forum lady friiend . Come and say hello. We are easy to spot . Short bright red hair on my friend and I am colourful purple red . 😂 My hair will be up in a formal style . Long sparkle dress . Would love to meet you. X

• Like 1