Notes from a very short cruise on QM2

Host Hattie

3 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

It was lovely to meet you on board HH, we got a wonderful send off from Liverpool.  If it makes you feel any better about having to get off, it's raining and cool today. 

Maybe a little !

We had a lovely day in Liverpool yesterday so that helped. Thank you for your recommendations, Mr HH enjoyed the 360 experience at the Liver building and we saw both cathedrals (the Metropolitan Cathedral was being used for graduation ceremonies so we couldn't go in).

Thank you for organising the Meet & Greet and enjoy the rest of your trip.

3 hours ago, Lynnewob said:

Lovely to meet you again and interesting to you read your running commentary.   Yes, we were the "guilty" people you met on deck 8 (along with our friend JD-J) and it was lovely to have a catch up. 

Nice to hear from you.

I resisted the temptation to go to Shotton yesterday, having heard how it went I think it was a good decision.

Happy Cruising and hope to see you again soon !

A colleague and friend of mine works for an aerial survey photography company and they were asked to take some images of the QM2 in Liverpool... This is one of their "rejects"... So copyright free etc. 

I have the original 3.4MB file if anyone wants it 🙂

QM2Liverpool.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a few final comments -

Embarkation didn't go well for those without priority, we were at QEII terminal as Ventura was at Ocean.

We didn't have bathrobes. I didn't notice until Mr HH was looking for one on day 2. I'm sure we could ask our steward but it wasn't worth it by then.

The cabin drawer handles seemed fine.

Pork scratchings and huge stoned olives seemed an odd choice of nibbles in the Champagne Bar.

4082 had a connecting door but we didn't hear anything through it. Similarly we were opposite a crew door but that was much quieter than the one we were opposite on QV last year.

I'm looking forward to being back on board in November (only 2 nights again).

I really do need to find a longer cruise on her.

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Just a few final comments -

Embarkation didn't go well for those without priority, we were at QEII terminal as Ventura was at Ocean.

We didn't have bathrobes. I didn't notice until Mr HH was looking for one on day 2. I'm sure we could ask our steward but it wasn't worth it by then.

The cabin drawer handles seemed fine.

Pork scratchings and huge stoned olives seemed an odd choice of nibbles in the Champagne Bar.

4082 had a connecting door but we didn't hear anything through it. Similarly we were opposite a crew door but that was much quieter than the one we were opposite on QV last year.

I'm looking forward to being back on board in November (only 2 nights again).

I really do need to find a longer cruise on her.

My my parents were telling me that Cunard seem to have dropped automatically supplying bathrobes recently so it’s one of the first things they check now.

I was also on the short Southampton - Liverpool part.   Sorry not to get the opportunity to meet anyone (Hattie, it appears your cabin was just along the corridor from mine), but I was using these few days as a battery re-charge.   The weather was fantastic, especially the sail down the Solent and past the Isle of Wight.

Embarkation was farcical.  Everyone thought so, including the staff at the check in desks and the security staff.   I work with cruise ships in the UK, and I have questioned with Cunard whether Queen Mary 2 is really suitable for the QE2 Terminal at Southampton.  I hate to think of the chaos  if this had been a full embarkation.

I had a wonderful, quiet, relaxing time on board - the planetarium was mesmerising, and food was good in all locations I ate in.   I still absolutely love this ship, and am now on countdown until the next time I'm on board (thankfully from Ocean Terminal this time!).

• Like 2

No problem with bathrobes on either June transatlantic, for what it's worth.

They do tend not to be in the stateroom on embarkation but they've always been delivered with evening turndown for us.

Edited by Underwatr

On 7/14/2019 at 11:58 AM, Host Hattie said:

and a snooze (Mr HH). 

Mr. HH is my hero with the naps.  Somebody needs to set the example.  I think whole passage/shared experience thing starts for me when we are outside of helicopter evacuation range in mid ocean.  Thanks for the great report.  I felt for a moment we were back aboard.  BTW if the Wi-Fi in your cabin is hopeless you can prop open the door a little and some signal may wander in.   Steel is remarkably good at blocking radio waves.    

• 2 months later...
On 7/20/2019 at 10:42 PM, Host Hattie said:

Southampton to Zeebrugge 

Hi

I stumbled on this thread looking for a little help with embarkation time.

I think this may be the 17 November sailin which I too am booked on. I have just looked at my e ticket, it states a boarding time of 15.30, which seems quite late to me, my question is how rigidly do people stick to this.

Although I have a few cruises under my belt mainly with Celebrity. This will be my first taster of Cunard so would welcome any advice out there.

Thank you

Ann

We did QM2's fifth anniversary cruise around the British Isles, and were on the first call at Liverpool. Two thing stir my memory, the first was the variance in the low and high tides which must have been more than 10 meters low to high, and secondly a glorious concert by the Liverpool Philharmonic on board that evening.  It was a wonderful port to call at.  

5 hours ago, 24acorns said:

Hi

I think this may be the 17 November sailin which I too am booked on. I have just looked at my e ticket, it states a boarding time of 15.30, which seems quite late to me, my question is how rigidly do people stick to this.

Although I have a few cruises under my belt mainly with Celebrity. This will be my first taster of Cunard so would welcome any advice out there.

Thank you

Ann

Hi Ann,

Yes it is, we have a roll call here if you want to chat to cruisers on the same trip.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, 24acorns said:

Hi

Thank you

Ann

I can't speak for Southampton, but my last e ticket also said 15:30.  I was on the ship before 13:00.