Bermuda Beaches

Jim and Monika

Hi,

We will be in Bermuda next month and will be visiting the main beaches. We will be docking in both St George and Hamilton. Are water shoes needed for any of the main beaches? We have never been and not sure if there were racks and such in the water.

Thanks

35 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

Hi,

We will be in Bermuda next month and will be visiting the main beaches. We will be docking in both St George and Hamilton. Are water shoes needed for any of the main beaches? We have never been and not sure if there were racks and such in the water.

Thanks

You don’t need water shoes at Horseshoe. Tobacco Bay some might wear water shoes. 

1 hour ago, kidz_rn said:

If the weather's nice, get ready to wait in in the hot sun in a long line and pay extortion prices to rent lounge chairs and umbrellas at Horseshoe Bay. 

The prices are not cheap but I don’t agree that the prices are extortion prices. If you want Caribbean prices go to the Caribbean where you will be bothered every five minutes to buy something. Everything costs more in Bermuda. It is an upscale destination. Also none are forced to rent chairs or umbrellas. You can sit on a towel or bring your own chairs. You have a choice, the beach is free, you can rent or not so there can’t be extortion. I was at Horseshoe two days in June, rented a chair and umbrella on both days.The line was not very long. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

At my age and physical condition, lying on a towel is not an option.  🙂  Yes, I agree that everything costs more in Bermuda and that it is an upscale destination. That's why cruising there (vs. flying, hotel, dining) is such an attractive choice. We live in southern NJ  and take a 5-day cruise out of Bayonne, NJ or Baltimore every September.  No airline hassles, no 50-lb luggage weight limit, etc.  We tell our friends it is our time share. 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kidz_rn said:

At my age and physical condition, lying on a towel is not an option.  🙂  Yes, I agree that everything costs more in Bermuda and that it is an upscale destination. That's why cruising there (vs. flying, hotel, dining) is such an attractive choice. We live in southern NJ  and take a 5-day cruise out of Bayonne, NJ or Baltimore every September.  No airline hassles, no 50-lb luggage weight limit, etc.  We tell our friends it is our time share. 🙂

I need chairs too. My point is that you are not forced to rent chairs. If you drive to Bayonne you could bring your own chairs. We brought a sun tent once. I also cruise to Bermuda almost every year.  Sometimes twice like this year. I don't mind the $37 that I spent renting a chair and umbrella twice a few weeks ago and I will pay it again a few times when I return in August. I don't think it is an extortion rate, it is not a cheap rate but it is not extortion. It also seems to be the going Bermuda rate. The other beaches that rent chairs in Bermuda charge about the same as at Horseshoe. 

• Like 1

Went to Elbow Beach last year.  They were charging $100 for two chairs and an umbrella.  Sitting on a towel is no problem.  We did bring a small half tent with us.  But it was too windy to use.  There's no shade at Elbow Beach.

Tami, see you on board.  Carol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CarolRoy said:

Went to Elbow Beach last year.  They were charging $100 for two chairs and an umbrella.  Sitting on a towel is no problem.  We did bring a small half tent with us.  But it was too windy to use.  There's no shade at Elbow Beach.

Tami, see you on board.  Carol

Can’t wait!

On 7/14/2019 at 6:10 PM, Charles4515 said:

The prices are not cheap but I don’t agree that the prices are extortion prices. If you want Caribbean prices go to the Caribbean where you will be bothered every five minutes to buy something. Everything costs more in Bermuda. It is an upscale destination. Also none are forced to rent chairs or umbrellas. You can sit on a towel or bring your own chairs. You have a choice, the beach is free, you can rent or not so there can’t be extortion. I was at Horseshoe two days in June, rented a chair and umbrella on both days.The line was not very long. 

we leave on friday! plan on going to horseshoe one of the days, renting chairs and umbrella.  can you also rent snorkel gear here?

any other suggestions? our first time (well my second...first was 25 years ago!) going this cruise with my 20 year old daughter. 

not doing an excursion to horseshoe bay...easy to get a taxi, right?

thanks!

11 minutes ago, taximom00 said:

we leave on friday! plan on going to horseshoe one of the days, renting chairs and umbrella.  can you also rent snorkel gear here?

any other suggestions? our first time (well my second...first was 25 years ago!) going this cruise with my 20 year old daughter. 

thanks!

Just returned from our cruise to Bermuda, visited 2 beaches while there. Our ship docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard - from there it was super easy to board a minbus to Horseshoe for $7 pp each way. Mind you this was on a Sunday afternoon and the ship I was on was the only one docked that day. We did not rent any chairs or umbrellas at Horseshoe, although there seemed to be plenty.

Instead we walked left once we arrived at the beach and kept walking. There are huge rock formations to the left and if you walk a bit (away from the crowds), you can find beach areas that are less crowded even with shade since the rocks cast a shadow onto a bit of beach. We sat on beach towels and enjoyed the beach and water from that vantage point. The fellas snorkeled and saw quite a bit of fish out towards the coral that jutted out of the waters. I cannot attest to snorkel rental since we brought our own - I don't care how they "clean" rental items such as snorkels, I'm not personally cool with that but you decide what works for you. 

Overall Horseshoe is a GORGEOUS beach with some of the best sand I've even seen. We did not do any pricey excursions to Horseshoe as it was super easy to board a minibus and easy to get there. We also used taxis when we had less choices - but knowing what I know now, will avoid those in the future whenever possible. I noticed their meters were set to $5 and change immediately upon sitting in the cab - and we didn't even go anywhere yet, haha.      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taximom00 said:

thanks!

It is easy to get a taxi. There are also the $7 pp each way minibuses that have been mentioned. You would save some money with only 2 people if you take those instead of a taxi.They do rent snorkel gear at Horseshoe but it is not that much of a snorkeling beach.  

Edited by Charles4515

10 hours ago, Xrayest said:

Just returned from our cruise to Bermuda, visited 2 beaches while there. Our ship docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard - from there it was super easy to board a minbus to Horseshoe for $7 pp each way. Mind you this was on a Sunday afternoon and the ship I was on was the only one docked that day. We did not rent any chairs or umbrellas at Horseshoe, although there seemed to be plenty.

Instead we walked left once we arrived at the beach and kept walking. There are huge rock formations to the left and if you walk a bit (away from the crowds), you can find beach areas that are less crowded even with shade since the rocks cast a shadow onto a bit of beach. We sat on beach towels and enjoyed the beach and water from that vantage point. The fellas snorkeled and saw quite a bit of fish out towards the coral that jutted out of the waters. I cannot attest to snorkel rental since we brought our own - I don't care how they "clean" rental items such as snorkels, I'm not personally cool with that but you decide what works for you. 

Overall Horseshoe is a GORGEOUS beach with some of the best sand I've even seen. We did not do any pricey excursions to Horseshoe as it was super easy to board a minibus and easy to get there. We also used taxis when we had less choices - but knowing what I know now, will avoid those in the future whenever possible. I noticed their meters were set to $5 and change immediately upon sitting in the cab - and we didn't even go anywhere yet, haha.      

Thank you!

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It is easy to get a taxi. There are also the $7 pp each way minibuses that have been mentioned. You would save some money with only 2 people if you take those instead of a taxi.They do rent snorkel gear at Horseshoe but it is not that much of a snorkeling beach.  

Thanks!