Most weight gained on a cruise?

Jasonmom

I'm just asking because I once gained 17lb on 14 day cruise. Everybody said it was a lot of water weight, but 1 after 1 week dieting there was still 15lb more than before cruise.

I really gain weight fast.  Wish weight came off as quick.  I do loose pretty good when I start diet, but that don't last long.   I can go up and down 5lb every few days 

Anyone else?

I don't eat a lot while cruising. I do drink things that I don't in my day to day life. I have actually lost weight while cruising. I think it's that I'm busy and moving a lot.

My weight can also fluctuate 3lbs on the daily. I HAVE to exercise to keep it under control and drink water. I try to only look at my progress on a weekly basis. Even though I weight myself each morning.

Edited by JennyB1977

• 2 weeks later...

I used to gain 15-20# on a 7 day cruise ... lately I have been gaining about 1-3# per cruise.  I'm not sure what the change is ... I think that it is because I'm more aware of what I am eating and drinking.  I still enjoy myself.  (ok, so truthfully ... I found out my boss and his wife were fascinated by my weight gain and enjoyed projected how much I would gain .... that was a good motivator to not gain a lot on a cruise ... I was truly offended ... so,  before I retired it was nice to be able to say I had only  gained a very small amount if anything)  Jan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 6:21 PM, Jan_In_Maine said:

I used to gain 15-20# on a 7 day cruise ... lately I have been gaining about 1-3# per cruise.  I'm not sure what the change is ... I think that it is because I'm more aware of what I am eating and drinking.  I still enjoy myself.  (ok, so truthfully ... I found out my boss and his wife were fascinated by my weight gain and enjoyed projected how much I would gain .... that was a good motivator to not gain a lot on a cruise ... I was truly offended ... so,  before I retired it was nice to be able to say I had only  gained a very small amount if anything)  Jan

I'm pretty sure I would have been let go over a snarky comeback. Some people!

• 2 weeks later...

Back in my days of being 40’s I gained 10 to 15 lbs. But after returning to my physical job the weight would be gone in a week. I even bought 34”, 35” and 36” waist dress pants for a Celebrity Cruise of 14 days. The pants were maxed out by cruise end. We were at a large table with our 2 kids and the rest of the people were no shows. So the waiters keep bringing extra soup appetizers and desserts. They were killing me with kindness.

Reality now age 64 I watch what I eat and sometimes don’t gain any weight. Especially when my wife and are very active on RCL cruises.

I would recommend anyone younger to live it up while you are young and can loose the weight after getting back on land. When you get older that ship has sailed.

A concrete business is a daily gym now retired I do yoga daily.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My son, at about age 32, once gained 19 pounds on a 7 day cruise.  He did eat a lot, but it was probably due to being put on powerful steroids as they thought he had Krone's disease.

He is naturally quite lean and has never been overweight.  Luckily he did not have Krone's, did take the weight off quickly and has stayed in great shape at 50.

• 2 weeks later...

@Jan_In_Maine I'm so sorry that happened to you.  You would think adults would be above that sort of behavior.  They sound like a couple of bullies to me.

I'm going to be curious how much i gain on this cruise in December since I'm still trying to figure out a new workout routine that I can manage long-term that I will hopefully be able to do on the cruise too.  My last cruise several years ago, I had gained 5 lbs.  I hope to do better than that this time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 4:09 PM, Jasonmom said:

Hate to be a downer, but what is the most weight any of you have gained on a cruise.

Average is about a pound a day if you divulge. It is very hard not to eat a lot and the variety. FREE icecream, all you can eat at the buffet or even the MDR. I am not a big drinker. I would guess those that purchase the drink package or get it included make use of it. That will put weight on fast. I never take any pants that fit perfect. Always loose fitting ones. never regretted it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Back in the day I wouldn't gain an ounce, did a daily 45 minute walk on the promenade deck of the various ships we sailed on. Those days are over as I'm bone on bone in my right knee but am holding off on knee replacement as Synvisc injections work for me. Bottom line, I now gain 2-3  pounds fo a 1 week cruise. I watch what I eat with no snacks between meals except for a daily apple in th afternoon. 

I went on a 8-day cruise at the age of 40 and gained 4 lbs. The only alcohol I consumed the entire cruise was 1/2 bottle of wine.  I never used the gym but I did make an effort to use the stairs as much as possible.  My wife was the one that preferred taking the elevator a lot.

I believe I ate significantly more than usual though.

I gained 10 lbs on a 15 day Hawaii cruise back in December 2018. I didn't care what I ate, it was vacation and I was going to make the most of it.... Don't think I will do that again! This December 2019 I made a point to watch what I ate, not add salt (unless completely necessary) and only used the stairs.  I gained only 1 lb.  The older I get, the more I need to be careful with weight gain. I can gain it easily and it usually takes a while to work it off. 

On 7/15/2019 at 9:32 AM, TX Cruise Girl said:

I gained about 6 pounds on a 7 day cruise.   Some of it came off quickly once I got back to my regular routine, but the rest was a struggle.  No regrets though!

Just got back from a 5 night on Celebrity Equinox and only gained 1 pound!! Stuck with eating low-carb and only took the elevator for embarkation and debarkation but really splurged on martinis and coffee drinks!

Good topic! I think the most I've gained is around 7 lbs. And we usually take 2 week+ cruises. But there have also been times I have gained only a pound or two, or none at all. (Once I even lost a smidgen!) And I tend to be a very easy gainer!

The times I'm most successful in keeping the weight down, I try to keep breakfast and lunch to a minimum, then I have what I want for dinner / dessert.

I also try to do a lot of walking, taking the stairs, etc. And we don't drink much--usually only the wine we get free through latitudes platinum. 

I definitely don't deprive myself, but basically just try to be mindful and choose things that are really worth the calories to me!

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I have struggled with my weight since a child. I brought weight watchers scales on board and gave them to my cabin steward when we disembarked. .  We were on a 21 day TA and I knew if I ate for 21 days (the way I wanted) .. It would take me months to get it off! I am overweight now, however did not want to add to my problem.  My goal was to stay the same and continue trying to lose weight after the cruise was over.

I think I gained 8 pounds our first cruise (12 day cruisetour) and freaked out! I’d been working hard to lose weight that year and I was devastated. Thankfully, it came back off fairly quickly. 
Now it’s usually about 3 pounds for a 7-10 day. 

I’ll admit I’m worried about our trip this summer, though. Ten day cruise but a total of three weeks European vacation—and I’m a bread/pastry lover! 🥖 🥮 🥐 😋 

Obviously going to have to be mindful of my eating, but I’m also working to get into some sort of workout routine that I’ll be able to continue while away so I don’t come back big as a house!

I usually gain 5 or 10 lbs, but it is all from the excess salt.  I do not salt anything at home, so the food on the ship is much saltier than I normally have.  Sometimes the food is too salty for me to eat.  Usually I'm back to my pre-cruise weight within 2 weeks.

I didn't start cruising until I was in my 60s, and I had learned through prior experience that if I eat too much it is immediately and uncomfortably apparent.  So no matter how much I would have liked to have extra ice cream or pastry, I would know that I would pay for it right away that night and that was enough incentive just to taste, and not to binge. 

Also I don't drink anything but water, unsweetened tea or juice so I don't get calories that way.  (Soda is too salty)