CB (and Princess in general) Food Questions

Liz_B

Thanks in advance for your help--I love how this community is helping me to maximize fun and comfort on my vacation.

We are picky about coffee and understand that what is generally available is bad. I'm wondering about bringing a set up and grounds from home to make iced coffee in our room. With that in mind...

• Does Princess (particularly CB) have half and half available on the buffet? What is the setup (little creamers? a carafe to pour from?)
  • How are the Americanos at the coffee bar? Drinkable at least?
  • Does the coffee bar have unsweetened iced coffee? If you've had it, how is it?

And--we like to eat low carb and healthy for breakfast and lunch even on vacation (so that we can splurge on dinner and drinks). 

• Where is the best/ easiest/ fastest place to get made-to-order eggs?
  • Are the scrambled eggs on the buffet from powder or real (as far as you can tell)?
  • Where is the best/ easiest place to get a salad with grilled protein for lunch?

Thanks again for anything you can help with...I know that how drinkable coffee is is very very subjective...I'd still appreciate your thoughts.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Liz_B said:

We are picky about coffee and understand that what is generally available is bad. I'm wondering about bringing a set up and grounds from home to make iced coffee in our room. If you bring your own (no electric pots allowed), you'll still need hot water - from the tap, buffet or room service.

• Does Princess (particularly CB) have half and half available on the buffet? What is the setup (little creamers? a carafe to pour from?) A carafe. Skim, regular and cream are available. The "cream" is probably 1/2 & 1/2.
  • Does the coffee bar have unsweetened iced coffee? If you've had it, how is it? If they make iced coffee (and they do), all they have to do is leave out the sugar.

• Where is the best/ easiest/ fastest place to get made-to-order eggs? Buffet. Dining room service is SLOW.
  • Are the scrambled eggs on the buffet from powder or real (as far as you can tell)? Pretty sure they're powdered eggs, I avoid. Usually too cool and taste lousy. Order an omelette, made to order, you may even be able to request actual eggs rather than powdered. (tell them you're allergic)
  • Where is the best/ easiest place to get a salad with grilled protein for lunch? Easy is always the buffet. Fast, get exactly what you want (from the choices available). Grab a salad and if the meat you want isn't on the buffet, ask for it. They'll do it, if they can.

Thanks again for anything you can help with...I know that how drinkable coffee is is very very subjective...I'd still appreciate your thoughts.

DH thinks the coffee in the buffet tastes like Taster's Choice.

• Like 1

Lets talk eggs first

Scrambled eggs are from pasteurized liquid eggs, not powdered.

In the morning in the aft section of the buffet there is a made to order egg station. If you want scrambled eggs prepared from whole eggs or egg whites just ask them.

Salads

Lots of selections in the buffet. Not sure what you mean by protein, but if you want to add say a chicken breast you may have to pick that up at the grill area as a separate dish. There are always sliced meats or fish. In the DR, which is open for lunch on sea days only, you can ask for what you want and if they have it they will prepare it.

Coffee

Really messy to make in the cabin. Electric coffee makers and appliances are not generally not permitted. You can obtain fresh brewed coffee at the International cafe. The International Cafe also has lots of barista made espresso drinks. You might consider the coffee package. And yes they do have ice coffee.

The "bad" coffee is in the buffet. It is basically an instant coffee prepared from a liquid concentrate of not the best quality. 

Just food for thought to all cruisers out there:  I suggest that it is never a good idea to lie about having a food allergy.  For those of us who have life-threatening food allergies and carry Epi-Pens, dining out is simply putting our very lives in someone else's hands. We rely that restaurant staff take us seriously and don't think that we are fibbing just to avoid some ingredient that we don't like.  It is extremely scary to eat out because not all waitstaff and cooks take allergies as seriously as they should. The cruise ships are pretty good with allergies, but a lot of land-based restaurants are not.  Nevertheless, those of us who have life-threatening food allergies pray at every meal that no one slipped-up when preparing our food.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, geoherb said:

I think the scrambled eggs are made from pasteurized eggs that come liquid in a carton, not from powdered eggs. 

That’s what I’ve seen them using on a galley tour.

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

On the CB not a fan of the change over to the World Fresh Market Place.

Please explain.  We have experienced the old format on about 10:ships and the world fresh market on 2 ships.  We thought the World Fresh Market concept eliminated the crowding they had with the old system and usually had more food offerings.

Hank

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Please explain.  We have experienced the old format on about 10:ships and the world fresh market on 2 ships.  We thought the World Fresh Market concept eliminated the crowding they had with the old system and usually had more food offerings.

Hank

Experienced WFM 4 times now..........

I thought the crowding was the same if not worse.

Not a fan of sandwiches in cardboard containers.

The noodle bowls at lunch were nothing to write home about either.

Planks was good.

The choices have been reduced and the quality as well imo.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Experienced WFM 4 times now..........

I thought the crowding was the same if not worse.

Not a fan of sandwiches in cardboard containers.

The noodle bowls at lunch were nothing to write home about either.

Planks was good.

The choices have been reduced and the quality as well imo.

We thought the layout and seating was improved. Enjoyed the sandwiches. Don't like noodle bowels in any restaurant. Planks was nice in the evening, extra $12. Thought the omelette station in the planks/steamers area was an improvement. Each person has their own likes and dislikes. Each person should make their own decision. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all of the replies! We will do the coffee card for just my husband...I think he will enjoy the specialty teas and the two of us will share the 15 espresso drinks over the course of the week. If he also wants to bring our cold brew set up , that's fine.

Thanks so much also for all of the info about where to get good eggs! The liquid product is much better than powdered, so that's good to know...although I expect I'll mostly use the made to order station. Good to know also about how slow the MDR is for breakfast. I do love breakfast,  but I will also want to get started with my day.

I'm also glad to know that I can get what I want in terms of a salad from the lunch buffet. This is such a helpful community. 

Liz_B;  I sailed on CB in Feb.  If you like your coffee strong then the coffee card for int'l marketplace is for you.  The coffee in buffet is mild; not like a french roast. I made my own iced coffee everyday sometimes twice a day.  I stop by buffet fill up my carafe with ice and then go over to the coffee machine and pour it over my ice.  This works for me and I have no issues with it. The buffet has great choices for lunch; salads, sandwiches, and they always have one or two specials set up.  The specials are back by where planks is;  most people don't go that far back; so they never see the specials.  The specials when we were onboard were (fajita bar, pasta bar, mediteranean bar).  Check it out.  Have fun on your cruise.  Oh by the way;  there is one coffee machine in buffet which will grind the beans before it makes your coffee;  I forget where it is located.  Sorry

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liz_B said:

Thank you for all of the replies! We will do the coffee card for just my husband...I think he will enjoy the specialty teas and the two of us will share the 15 espresso drinks over the course of the week. If he also wants to bring our cold brew set up , that's fine.

Thanks so much also for all of the info about where to get good eggs! The liquid product is much better than powdered, so that's good to know...although I expect I'll mostly use the made to order station. Good to know also about how slow the MDR is for breakfast. I do love breakfast,  but I will also want to get started with my day.

I'm also glad to know that I can get what I want in terms of a salad from the lunch buffet. This is such a helpful community. 

It's it's just the two of you at a table, breakfast service may be 45min. Depends how much you order. I'm am early riser, and usually travel solo and request to sit alone. I usually do a laid back relaxed breakfast in the MDR. Sometimes it's just nice to served in the morning without self service upstairs at the buffet. Plus it's the only place I can get my unlimited amounts of avacado, as I like to make my own avacado toast ☺️

2 hours ago, skynight said:

We thought the layout and seating was improved. Enjoyed the sandwiches. Don't like noodle bowels in any restaurant. Planks was nice in the evening, extra $12. Thought the omelette station in the planks/steamers area was an improvement. Each person has their own likes and dislikes. Each person should make their own decision. 

We did like the improved layout also but their new way of offering the food at the buffet left a lot to be desired. I personally don't like items served in cardboard containers with toppings already applied or pre-wrapped sandwiches . The selections were also greatly reduced compared to other ships as was the quality. Since our sailing the CB we've been on the Crown & Regal both of which put the CB to shame.

But as you said, each to their own likes & dislikes.

Enjoy you future CB sailings (also the Emerald which I've heard also has the WFM) 

11 hours ago, Liz_B said:

At the risk of being flamed 🙂 You can get a 'fresh brew' for 'free' with the coffee card when ordered with a 'premium' coffee. I always get the card, then in the AM order an Americano & a fresh brew (unless that has been changed).  Before the flames erupt, we bought 2 coffee cards for our upcoming cruise.

8 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

Before the flames erupt, we bought 2 coffee cards for our upcoming cruise.

If you got them on E bay, you might have bought mine.

Enjoy them. They were practically like free coffee compared to what they were charging. 

> We are picky about coffee and understand that what is generally available is bad. I'm wondering about bringing a set up

> and grounds from home to make iced coffee in our room.

I don't drink coffee, but my wife does. We are just off the Caribbean Princess. My advice: Get a Coffee package, or package that includes coffee. I got a coffee card, and used the 15 punches (no free regular coffee). Coffee in the MDR seemed to be ok. Coffee at the Buffet was hit or miss. Sometimes good, sometimes really bad.

> Does Princess (particularly CB) have half and half available on the buffet? What is the setup (little creamers? a carafe to pour from?)

I suggest going down to IC and getting what you want. They have milk and cream. If you want 1/2 and 1/2, you can mix it.

> How are the Americanos at the coffee bar? Drinkable at least?

Good at the IC. Wife ended up wanting latte and cappuccino instead of brewed coffee. Note: "Americano" is espresso that has more water run through to dilute it. That would be a Specialty Coffee. With a coffee package, you can get unlimited brewed coffee.

> Does the coffee bar have unsweetened iced coffee? If you've had it, how is it?

The IC makes iced drinks. They are happy to pour hot coffee (unsweetened) in a plastic cup filled with Ice. That's what I saw when people ordered Iced Coffee. I'm guessing the Brewed Coffee poured over ice should be the free unlimited one from the package. If you want flavor added, then it would be a Specialty Coffee deducted from your package.

> Where is the best/ easiest/ fastest place to get made-to-order eggs?

During Breakfast, at the back of the Buffet is Steamers/Planks, where they have an Omelette Bar. They use fresh eggs (4,000 per cruise) and will make eggs to order. They give you a buzzer to let you know when your order is ready. Note: You can also order eggs made to order at the Buffet, but it seemed easier at the Omelette station.

> Are the scrambled eggs on the buffet from powder or real (as far as you can tell)?

No idea, but if you have a choice between freshly cooked egg (that you know is real) vs mass produced eggs that have been sitting around for a while ...

> Where is the best/ easiest place to get a salad with grilled protein for lunch?

Buffet for salad. Grilled protein may or may not be available. Boiled shrimp?

On 7/16/2019 at 10:12 AM, MissP22 said:

We did like the improved layout also but their new way of offering the food at the buffet left a lot to be desired. I personally don't like items served in cardboard containers with toppings already applied or pre-wrapped sandwiches . The selections were also greatly reduced compared to other ships as was the quality. Since our sailing the CB we've been on the Crown & Regal both of which put the CB to shame.

But as you said, each to their own likes & dislikes.

Enjoy you future CB sailings (also the Emerald which I've heard also has the WFM) 

Guess it’s all a matter of personal preferences. We were on the Crown in Feb/Mar and were disappointed with the buffet selections. We were on the CB in May and thought the CB’s WFM much better than the buffet on the Crown. CB has more variety. 

Not sure what cardboard containers you are referring to since the only one I’ve seen is for the pizza (served in the WFM not from Slice). The sandwiches are wrapped in paper but you also have the option of making your own. 

We’re back onboard the CB and getting ready to head up the WFM now!

46B9817C-8663-4238-8D94-F30A1200135E.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Crzn-Life said:

Guess it’s all a matter of personal preferences. We were on the Crown in Feb/Mar and were disappointed with the buffet selections. We were on the CB in May and thought the CB’s WFM much better than the buffet on the Crown. CB has more variety. 

Not sure what cardboard containers you are referring to since the only one I’ve seen is for the pizza (served in the WFM not from Slice). The sandwiches are wrapped in paper but you also have the option of making your own. 

We’re back onboard the CB and getting ready to head up the WFM now!

46B9817C-8663-4238-8D94-F30A1200135E.jpeg

I 1000% agree with you that it really comes down to personal preference. And I also agree with your thoughts on it as well. I thought it's a huge step up from the old buffet.