How different will our cruise on Indy be only sailed p o before

Hi were trying Independence of the seas only a 3 nighter end August  so won't get to  really experience it, we have only sailed with P  O before . My daughter and grandchildren our coming it's there first cruise  daughter always said she wouldn't like cruising concerning she realizes how great it is .

I'm I right to think it will be a lot more hetic, than PO? I'm really looking forward to trying RC  such i assume indd y won't be sailing from Southampton any more  we don't do fly cruises.

Anyone sailed P O and R C what's your opinions please

• Clarea changed the title to How different will our cruise on Indy be only sailed p o before

We've sailed both, like P and O but prefer Royal. 

I think the main reason for that is P and O is just a bit too British for us, even sailing out of Southampton Royal has a mix of nationalities and a more 'international' feel.

There are a lot more activities on Royal, ice skating, flowrider, skypad etc, but out of Southampton the entertainment does have a British slant.

One complaint that we always seem to hear is that the drinks are much more expensive on Royal which is probably true.

All things considered though it's a cruise and there will always be more similarities than differences. Go with an open mind and enjoy (and remember that on both lines the 3 night crowd is very different from the 14 night crowd!).

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Don't miss the ice skating show, they probably don't have one of those on P&O.

They don't have ice skating.

The 2 older P&O ships are adult only and the newer family ships are nothing compared to Royal for activities for adults or kids 

As D+ Royal is our favourite but we have still sailed 100 nights on P&O because of the Britishness of their ships

2 hours ago, Tikka234 said:

Hi were trying Independence of the seas only a 3 nighter end August  so won't get to  really experience it, we have only sailed with P  O before . My daughter and grandchildren our coming it's there first cruise  daughter always said she wouldn't like cruising concerning she realizes how great it is .

I'm I right to think it will be a lot more hetic, than PO? I'm really looking forward to trying RC  such i assume indd y won't be sailing from Southampton any more  we don't do fly cruises.

Anyone sailed P O and R C what's your opinions please

Royal check in at Southampton is much quicker than P&O.

The onboard activities on Indy are fantastic compared to any P&O ship.

You will have a fantastic time on Indy and the Royal Promenade is excellent and something no P&O ship has 

40 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

You will have a fantastic time on Indy and the Royal Promenade is excellent and something no P&O ship has 

I'd be surprised if you will want to return to P&O after trying RCCL. 

When I go on a cruise I want to get away from the UK. Not take it with me! Being on a ship with a mix of nationalities is so much better and the kids will appreciate that too.

Personally I would give Princess a try after RCCL as I think they are superior, but the entertainment will never disappoint on RCCL ships.

1 minute ago, Esprit said:

When I go on a cruise I want to get away from the UK. Not take it with me! Being on a ship with a mix of nationalities is so much better and the kids will appreciate that too.

Personally I would give Princess a try after RCCL as I think they are superior, but the entertainment will never disappoint on RCCL ships.

P&O sailing from Southampton is a big plus for us and the night-time entertainment is better than RC.

We are D+ on Royal and Elite on Princess so have the experience to pass on information.

Thanks for all your replies we have been on Arcadia Azure and Aurora do find them a bit lacking in sea days unless your into dancing, quizzes Saying that we have only done short cruises  1 x 3( soon be 2x 3) and 2 x  7 night ones . Do like the chilled out feeling and the britishness, . I know my grandchildren will love Independence of the seas, was planning on deciding after this cruise which to book for next year but Independence is not an option now  ( one of our group will not fly)

I am I bit surprised p  o don't have more for kids to do out of the kids clubs I would want to spend time with my kids 

Friends of ours were dedicated P & O cruisers, racking up 20+ cruises. 

For some reason, they decided to try the Indy, and beforehand, were openly querying the decision, as they 'were sure it wouldn't match up to P & O'.

.........they are now Diamond+ , and haven't set foot on a P & O vessel since that first Indy cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We've sailed one P&O cruise out of 40+. Not for us. You will find far more entertainment for the kids (and yourselves) on Royal but a 3 night cruise is not the best introduction as another poster mentioned. Nevertheless I'm sure you'll have a great, fun filled, time aboard an amazing ship. 

13 hours ago, Bestbubba said:

We've sailed one P&O cruise out of 40+. Not for us. You will find far more entertainment for the kids (and yourselves) on Royal but a 3 night cruise is not the best introduction as another poster mentioned. Nevertheless I'm sure you'll have a great, fun filled, time aboard an amazing ship. 

They don’t sell the drinks packages on ex-U.K. 3n cruises any more....

@Tikka234 Anthem is in Southampton next year and she is better than Indie IMHO 

Edited by little britain

19 hours ago, Tikka234 said:

I know my grandchildren will love Independence of the seas, was planning on deciding after this cruise which to book for next year but Independence is not an option now  ( one of our group will not fly)

Anthem is much better for children Imo. The Anthem has bumper cars and Trapeze sessions.

As little britain has pointed out Anthem is sailing out of Southampton in 2020. 

We were on the Ventura (first P&O) this May and had a great time. 

Bizarrely, even though she's smaller than the Independence she felt more crowded. The US ships, in general, seem far better designed to facilitate more people at peak times.

20 hours ago, Esprit said:

I wouldn't try P&O for the same reason you've said. I do want to try Princess though.

I can't answer your direct comparison question but . . . when we were on Oasis of the Seas we partnered up with a nice pair of mature ladies - a mother and daughter - for trivia.  They were not much enjoying the cruise because they found it "loud" compared to what they were used to on many, many prior cruises.  On what line? Cunard!  No kidding. Royal Caribbean out of a US port during a spring break week is certainly going to be loud by comparison to your typical Cunard cruise.  Or, in your term, "hectic." 

Royal is overall very casual and high energy, geared toward an all ages clientele with plenty of kids and "loud and hectic" goings on. Have not sailed P&O but my understanding is that it's more calm, elegant, and understated. Which style is a benefit is up to personal taste, as the grandkids and maybe your daughter, are the target demographic for Royal.  Indy is a big megaship and will have plenty of ways to entertain your guests. I predict success for your upcoming journey and that your family will become "hooked."

21 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Royal is overall very casual and high energy, geared toward an all ages clientele with plenty of kids and "loud and hectic" goings on. Have not sailed P&O but my understanding is that it's more calm, elegant, and understated. Which style is a benefit is up to personal taste, as the grandkids and maybe your daughter, are the target demographic for Royal.  Indy is a big megaship and will have plenty of ways to entertain your guests. I predict success for your upcoming journey and that your family will become "hooked."

Your comment made me smile. We did a 3 night trip on Ventura a few years ago and it's the only cruise where we've seen a large Hen party complete with blow up male doll getting drunk every night! 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, kernow said:

Your comment made me smile. We did a 3 night trip on Ventura a few years ago and it's the only cruise where we've seen a large Hen party complete with blow up male doll getting drunk every night! 

Haha! Well apparently they'll let anyone aboard! They always say a cruise is what you make of it and here is the proof - the 70 proof, that is.

we have done both cruise lines once so can compare. 

Found the Ventura to "British" for us so have no plans on getting on another of their ships any time soon.

We liked the Indy when we first sailed on her and are looking forward to getting on board again this year. Much prefer the American run ships even when they sail from Southampton as the feel is to so much nicer. 

I'll disagree with someone else who said the entertainment was better on P&O, for us half of it was ok the rest we had no interest in seeing. 

Again as others have pointed out Indy does have a lot more in the way of features like the ice rink, climbing wall and flowrider etc. compared to P&O. Your grandchildren should enjoy that side opposed to what P&O have on there ships.

Yes you are correct Indy is not coming to the uk anymore next year, we are amongst those effected by the cancellation. But there is the Anthem to try instead if you like Indy.  If we had been looking at a Southampton round trip next year I would gladly have swapped to the Anthem. Instead we are trying the Celebrity Equinox for something different. For us we prefer Princess over all the others.