Santorini car rental

KirkNC

Has anyone gotten off the cruise ship at the ferry dock (where the ships excursions get off) and rented a car?  This avoids the cable car (at least on the way up).  Curious if the ship will let you get off there.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

When you get off your tender you also have the option of booking a transfer to Oia by a large speed boat (a slow one)... then you can get their bus from Oia to Fira.. You can easily find this company at the tender port. We booked a private group tour this past May but now we see next time we can do this on our own. Sorry but you still have to get yourself back down to the tender port by cable car, steps or mule..I did the mule ...YIKES a whole other story !!!!

Everyone get's off at the tender dock....ship excursion, private tour or no tour.

Edited by Ashland

I think the only way you can get off at that dock from a cruise ship is if you are on an excursion. I'm not aware that they will allow other passengers off there. If I'm wrong hopefully someone will chime in.

Edited by Bobal

7 hours ago, Bobal said:

I think the only way you can get off at that dock from a cruise ship is if you are on an excursion. I'm not aware that they will allow other passengers off there. If I'm wrong hopefully someone will chime in.

What dock are you talking about in Santorini ?.....All the ships tenders from our RCI ship this past May dropped off cruiser's at the same dock...the only difference was that the ship booked excursions got to take the first tenders...the rest of the passengers quickly tendered off right behind them as the tenders made their round trips...ship to dock and back.

Actually we were on a tender with ship booked excursions and we had a private tour booked.

We pre booked a hire car with Tony's car rental.  Unfortunately it was very windy and we were late getting ashore, then up the cable car and got to Tony. He had saved the car for us, they know when the ships arrive. We had a lovely few hours and saw more than we would have. First drove to Oia, had a walk round  and lunch. Then back through Fira (vary busy) and onto a hilltop village and Santo winery for the amazing views. Dropped the car back with Tony and had a quick look round Fira. Fabulous day!

11 minutes ago, Ashland said:

What dock are you talking about in Santorini ?.....All the ships tenders from our RCI ship this past May dropped off cruiser's at the same dock...the only difference was that the ship booked excursions got to take the first tenders...the rest of the passengers quickly tendered off right behind them as the tenders made their round trips...ship to dock and back.

Actually we were on a tender with ship booked excursions and we had a private tour booked.

There are two docks, one is too the far right where ship excursions are dropped off.  They do that because buses can get to the docks.  This is also where the ferry goes.

The "regular" dock is the one with the cable car/donkeys/steps.  

My question relates to getting off at the ferry dock as there are car rental agencies there and you avoid the cable car line.  

In your case, those first tenders with the excursions probably went to the ferry dock.  Maybe the excursion on your tender was a walking tour of Fira or something that did not require a bus.

Yes Kirk. You are right about the 2 different docks and, as I said, i don't think there is provision for someone not on a ship's tour to disembark there.

However since the tenders go there it may be worth asking if you can hitch a ride on one, particularly if you can prove you have a hire car booking Knowing the way the cruise lines operate though I highly doubt it

14 hours ago, KirkNC said:

There are two docks, one is too the far right where ship excursions are dropped off.  They do that because buses can get to the docks.  This is also where the ferry goes.

The "regular" dock is the one with the cable car/donkeys/steps.  

My question relates to getting off at the ferry dock as there are car rental agencies there and you avoid the cable car line.  

In your case, those first tenders with the excursions probably went to the ferry dock.  Maybe the excursion on your tender was a walking tour of Fira or something that did not require a bus.

Gotcha...We went to the ferry dock and then took a boat to the dock where our private group tour bus picked us up. I just know that the concierge walked us down and put us on one of the first tenders even though we had booked privately.

19 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Yes, my intent of the question was too see if anyone had done what I am proposing.

Kirk, I just had a look at your profile to see who you are cruising with as I will be in Santorini in a couple of weeks on a RC ship. However, I see that you are probably sailing with HAL. It may well be that different cruiselines have different rules but it could be worth asking your question either on the HAL board on on a couple of the roll calls which are calling into Santorini to see if they can find out an answer for you